Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to do exactly 3 courses
(08-21-2019, 08:53 PM)natshar Wrote: Aren't TECEPs and uxcels cheaper than CSU global?

You said you qualify for free community college? Does your community college offer classes that aret full term. Most I've looked at do. My local CC even offers credit by exam. You have to talk to them but they will let you test out of a course at the CC and will give it a CR grade. Maybe see if they will do this for you. Other opt would be weekend seminar classes or 5 or 7 week courses if they offer them. Honestly CC might be your cheapest and least confusing option. Research your CC highly doubt they only offer full term courses.

Thank you! It does have a credit by exam policy at the discretion of the department head. I'll have to check.
(08-21-2019, 11:44 PM)davewill Wrote:
(08-21-2019, 05:58 PM)eriehiker Wrote: The problem with credit banking in this situation is the time crunch.  The original poster would need to complete a class or exam at the course provider, then open a credit bank/registry, possibly transfer credits to an ACE transcript and then transfer the ACE transcript to the college, wait for the credits to post and send a transcript.

I don't think we know how fast it could be. Straighterline and Study.com both send their transcripts directly to TESU, so I think the transcript could be in TESU's hands within a day or two after you finish them. If you apply for the credit bank ASAP, get the transcript sent, then follow up with a call to advising explaining the situation, they might well expedite processing the transcript. Even if TESU doesn't expedite, the OP could truthfully tell HR that the courses are complete and they're just waiting for them to show up on their transcript. They could even show the SL or SDC transcript if they thought it would help.

They would have to be able to pass the right TECEPs or UEXCELs cold for them to be fast enough, and even then, if they have essay questions, grading can take time. I would do the credit banking approach, myself.

Does Saylor have the same kind of arrangement?

The master plan I have now (no credit-by-exam for the needed courses) is taking them on Saylor (25*3=$75) then credit banking at TESU ($300). Does that make sense?
It makes sense, but this will probably take a month. TESU is not very fast at placing credits onto a transcript.
(08-22-2019, 04:49 PM)eriehiker Wrote: It makes sense, but this will probably take a month.  TESU is not very fast at placing credits onto a transcript.

Just now learning that the background check will take about that long anyway. Hoping for the best.

BTW, it looks like Saylor is offering managerial accounting but it's not on the direct credit list for TESU, unlike financial and business law. Has anyone had trouble with this before?
Another option is to do CLEPs for business law and financial accounting. If you use modern states it will take at least 3 days for the vouchers and you will have to schedule a test, but it will be free. But if you don't it will be $87 plus fees and you could take it whenever. You could then do Managerial accounting at as TECEP, Saylor or CC (credit by exam or if you had to a course). Assuming the CC takes CLEP they could appear on your CC transcript if you did managerial at CC. If you did the TECEP you wouldn't have to do credit banking.

Saylor exams are difficult and frustrating so just giving you other options.
(08-22-2019, 05:36 PM)natshar Wrote: Another option is to do CLEPs for business law and financial accounting. If you use modern states it will take at least 3 days for the vouchers and you will have to schedule a test, but it will be free. But if you don't it will be $87 plus fees and you could take it whenever. You could then do Managerial accounting at as TECEP, Saylor or CC (credit by exam or if you had to a course). Assuming the CC takes CLEP they could appear on your CC transcript if you did managerial at CC. If you did the TECEP you wouldn't have to do credit banking.

Aren't there a ton of fees to do TECEP (application fee + course reg fee + tech services fee) or something?
(08-22-2019, 04:19 PM)tendrils Wrote: Does Saylor have the same kind of arrangement?

The master plan I have now (no credit-by-exam for the needed courses) is taking them on Saylor (25*3=$75) then credit banking at TESU ($300). Does that make sense?

For NCCRS courses, yes Saylor sends the transcript directly, for ACE courses you have to put the course on an ACE transcript and send that. However, getting the course onto ACE is almost instant, so it shouldn't slow you down. Having taken a couple of Saylor courses, I will tell you that they are not very quick to work your way through. Their courses tend to be disorganized and long. If you already know the subject matter well, then you can use their quizzes as a study guide and be fast, if not, then expect to get bogged down.

eriehiker Wrote:It makes sense, but this will probably take a month. TESU is not very fast at placing credits onto a transcript.

Yes, TESU takes a month for normal transfers, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will take that long for a credit banking situation. You're essentially paying them extra for a special service. Like I said, have a chat with advising and see what they can do for you.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-22-2019, 07:10 PM)tendrils Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 05:36 PM)natshar Wrote: Another option is to do CLEPs for business law and financial accounting. If you use modern states it will take at least 3 days for the vouchers and you will have to schedule a test, but it will be free. But if you don't it will be $87 plus fees and you could take it whenever. You could then do Managerial accounting at as TECEP, Saylor or CC (credit by exam or if you had to a course). Assuming the CC takes CLEP they could appear on your CC transcript if you did managerial at CC. If you did the TECEP you wouldn't have to do credit banking.

Aren't there a ton of fees to do TECEP (application fee + course reg fee + tech services fee) or something?

$50 application fee which you have to pay regardless (if you are doing TESU credit banking I believe you have to pay this as well)

LL TECEPs are $150 and UL are $225. There aren't any other fees that I know of. So doing two CLEPs and a TECEP would actually be cheaper than doing credit banking, especially if you used modern states and got the CLEPs for free.
(08-22-2019, 07:38 PM)natshar Wrote:

$50 application fee which you have to pay regardless (if you are doing TESU credit banking I believe you have to pay this as well)

LL TECEPs are $150 and UL are $225. There aren't any other fees that I know of. So doing two CLEPs and a TECEP would actually be cheaper than doing credit banking, especially if you used modern states and got the CLEPs for free.

I think I'm planning on doing this. Probably going to do two CLEPs, a Saylor (for Managerial) and then an easy TECEP, to circumvent the risk of not doing well.
(08-31-2019, 02:51 PM)tendrils Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 07:38 PM)natshar Wrote:

I think I'm planning on doing this. Probably going to do two CLEPs, a Saylor (for Managerial) and then an easy TECEP, to circumvent the risk of not doing well.

There is a Managerial Accounting TECEP you could try it if Saylor doesn't work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 4,089 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,801 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 738 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 788 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 602 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 688 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 304 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 590 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 460 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Outlier.org - 2 For 1 Courses bjcheung77 12 2,561 11-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77