Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian College Diploma Credits Transferring as Foreign Credits
Hey all!

Pretty disheartened and looking for some help. After doing some research, I came to the notion that Canadian College credits would transfer in as community college credits. I plan/planned on doing a BA in Liberal Studies.

After spending $300 for the evaluation, transfer, and admission, I've received the academic evaluation. I saw out of my 72 credits completed, 51 of them filled in as Foreign Credits (my issue isn't the amount of the 72 that transferred in, I understand that part). I assumed that because it was Canadian College Credits, after evaluation they would transfer as community college credits. 

After speaking with Admission Services, they confirmed that they would be transferred as foreign credits. Therefore, I only have 90 credits I can do by alternative means (I assume). The other 24 (given 6 is by corner and capstone), would have to be done through some College in the US. Obviously this would be very expensive if that has to be the case, so that's why I'm here.

I've seen threads about Canadian's transferring in credits, but nobody has ran into this issue(from what I've seen).

Below is my academic evaluation and how I've planned to fill in a part of those courses(missing about 14 or so).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Academic Evaluation
https://imgur.com/a/u2Y1dBJ

Plan to Fill Credits (missing 13 courses)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ekZI...ue&sd=true
Where did you see that Canadian credits would transfer in as community college credits? How old is that info? TESU made changes to require RA credits awhile ago. What you're seeing could have been before these changes. They make changes every year.
There are three limits at TESU: 90 community college credits, 90 alternate credits, and 90 credits from a foreign institution. Since a degree is only 120 credits, a single student can't hit all of these limits in one degree! Foreign credits are NOT counted as alternate credits. But they're also not community college credits. Community college is a US thing. So, you've still got the ability to bring in up to 90 alternate credits (not that you need to) for your degree.

Looking at your plan, if you're not near a CLEP testing center then I would suggest taking the English Comp TECEPs. The online CLEP exams are NOT for Canadians (last I heard) but only for Americans located in the US. ModernStates is, AFAIK, also only intended for Americans and not for Canadians. Once you count testing center fees, the CLEP would only be slightly cheaper than the TECEPs.

Civil Engagement - Take this from InstantCert instead. It's only $45 there.

Natural Science - Take the science courses (Human Biology, Environmental Science, Intro to IT) at Sophia while you've got a subscription.

You can also fill your LL AOS courses with several Sophia courses. See here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan The exact number depends on how you feel about Statistics. Canadians may or may not have access to TEEX courses. I'm not sure.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(08-19-2021, 10:32 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Where did you see that Canadian credits would transfer in as community college credits? How old is that info? TESU made changes to require RA credits awhile ago. What you're seeing could have been before these changes. They make changes every year.

I just misinterpreted the information, besides CLEP, do you know what counts for community college credits? Not that I'm opposed to CLEP, I just want to see all of my options.

(08-19-2021, 10:49 AM)rachel83az Wrote: There are three limits at TESU: 90 community college credits, 90 alternate credits, and 90 credits from a foreign institution. Since a degree is only 120 credits, a single student can't hit all of these limits in one degree! Foreign credits are NOT counted as alternate credits. But they're also not community college credits. Community college is a US thing. So, you've still got the ability to bring in up to 90 alternate credits (not that you need to) for your degree.

Looking at your plan, if you're not near a CLEP testing center then I would suggest taking the English Comp TECEPs. The online CLEP exams are NOT for Canadians (last I heard) but only for Americans located in the US. ModernStates is, AFAIK, also only intended for Americans and not for Canadians. Once you count testing center fees, the CLEP would only be slightly cheaper than the TECEPs.

Natural Science - Take the science courses (Human Biology, Environmental Science, Intro to IT) at Sophia while you've got a subscription.

You can also fill your LL AOS courses with several Sophia courses. See here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan The exact number depends on how you feel about Statistics. Canadians may or may not have access to TEEX courses. I'm not sure.

Hey Rachel, thank you for the information and tips to save money. I've actually gotten a Voucher from ModernStates for the College Composition CLEP already, maybe they accept Canadians (I'm also currently in Egypt, near a CLEP Testing center, and they still gave the voucher to me while knowing that information). 

Anyways, I believe I might not be screwed as I thought I'd be, I just need to find 30 community college credits. 6 are through TESU Cap and cornerstone, and 6 are through College Composition. Therefore, I need 18 credits (6 courses), through community college. 

I guess my question now is, what provider counts towards community college credits? Is it exclusively CLEP/DSST? 

Thank you!
(08-19-2021, 10:50 AM)omarbeila Wrote: Anyways, I believe I might not be screwed as I thought I'd be, I just need to find 30 community college credits. 6 are through TESU Cap and cornerstone, and 6 are through College Composition. Therefore, I need 18 credits (6 courses), through community college. 

I guess my question now is, what provider counts towards community college credits? Is it exclusively CLEP/DSST? 

Thank you!

Hi, I think you misunderstood. Smile There's no requirement for 30 RA credits at TESU, or for 30 community college credits. They have maximum allowances on various types of credit. In your case, you can view your foreign credits as a 'substitute' for RA credits as we commonly talk about TESU here. You do not need to obtain any other community college or RA or other "traditional" credits. You can complete your degree with all alternative credits, and the cornerstone/capstone at TESU.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
You do NOT need any community college credits! Community college credits are exclusively credits achieved through taking courses at a 2-year college within the USA. If the school only grants 2-year degrees, it is considered to be a community college. If it grants 4-year degrees or higher, it is no longer a community college. CLEP is NOT community college credit. It is alternate credit.

You already have 51 RA-equivalent foreign credits. You can fill in the rest with places like Study.com and Sophia without worrying about credit limits.

The only thing that you might want to consider is taking 16 credits through TESU (instead of just 6). If you have the time & energy to do this, then you can avoid paying for the residency waiver. You can see suggestions on classes to take to avoid the waiver here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...timization

But if you'd rather go the easy route and just take the bare minimum of 6 credits at TESU, that's perfectly fine!
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(08-19-2021, 10:49 AM)rachel83az Wrote: There are three limits at TESU: 90 community college credits, 90 alternate credits, and 90 credits from a foreign institution. Since a degree is only 120 credits, a single student can't hit all of these limits in one degree! Foreign credits are NOT counted as alternate credits. But they're also not community college credits. Community college is a US thing. So, you've still got the ability to bring in up to 90 alternate credits (not that you need to) for your degree.

Wait, I think I've misunderstood again. I thought foreign credits were the SAME as alternate credits, I guess I'm wrong?

In the case that the Foreign Credits are separate from alternative credits, then none of this matters, as I can proceed as planned?

So just to clarify, If I had 90 credits transfer from a Canadian, I could still do 24 credits through sophia, sdc, sl, etc? then the other 6 through TESU and complete a degree?
OMG! I just LOL and giggled at the same time when I saw your evaluation! Dude, your evaluation is from Ontario, I know exactly the college too... I've seen those courses before, several times from my cousins when I was helping them do a TESU degree. Let me enlighten you, do as many Sophia.org courses as you can for your general education, skip StraighterLine altogether, take CSMLearn and InstantCertCredit.

For your upper level courses, you have Coopersmith, Davar, Study.com, I will tell you to stop looking for 30 community college credits, you don't need it... Your community college credits are the 51 that came in, the rest went to your "other field" which you did not include in the picture... Yay! You just need ALTERNATIVE credits mentioned above to finish the degree! I am so smart... SMRT... oops, haha!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-19-2021, 11:05 AM)omarbeila Wrote: Wait, I think I've misunderstood again. I thought foreign credits were the SAME as alternate credits, I guess I'm wrong?

In the case that the Foreign Credits are separate from alternative credits, then none of this matters, as I can proceed as planned?

So just to clarify, If I had 90 credits transfer from a Canadian, I could still do 24 credits through sophia, sdc, sl, etc? then the other 6 through TESU and complete a degree?

It's easy to get mistaken when it comes to TESU requirements. They're about as clear as mud to most Americans, let alone people who grew up with completely different university systems. Big Grin

Foreign credits are not the same as alternate credits. They are considered equivalent to, but not the same as, community college credits. Alternate credits are credits from a non-collegiate provider; ACE or NCCRS-recommended institutions. This includes, but is not limited to, Study.com, CLEP, DSST, Sophia, Coopersmith, Davar, etc.

And, yes, if you had 90 credits from a Canadian school, you would still be allowed to fill in the rest (except the cornerstone & capstone) with credits from SDC, Sophia, etc.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(08-19-2021, 10:50 AM)omarbeila Wrote:
(08-19-2021, 10:32 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Where did you see that Canadian credits would transfer in as community college credits? How old is that info? TESU made changes to require RA credits awhile ago. What you're seeing could have been before these changes. They make changes every year.

I just misinterpreted the information, besides CLEP, do you know what counts for community college credits? Not that I'm opposed to CLEP, I just want to see all of my options.

CLEP doesn't count towards community college credits. Only credits completed at community colleges are community college credit. Are you referring to the RA credits? RA credits can come from any RA college - not just community colleges.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 12 654 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 224 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 343 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 513 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 533 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 647 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 835 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 455 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  Competency based certifications for Electronics and Nuclear credits? sciencemathematics1 5 520 09-23-2023, 12:31 PM
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 338 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic