Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capstone - Double Dipping
So I'm doing math through TESU, and MET through ECPI. I'll be taking the capstone for my MET BS in August.

Do you think I can use the coursework from one to get through the other? One is a BS and one is a BA, but other than that, are capstones usually similar enough that you can do something like that?
-----
Testing through BA In Mathematics via TESU - Graduation planned in 2020
Attending ECPI Online for Mechanical Engineering Technology - Bachelors - Graduation planned in 2020
TESU requires you to take their capstone through them. You're not allowed to transfer it in.

Edit: I just reread your post and realize you intend to reuse your work. That is considered self-plagiarism and you will be in trouble, if detected. That's not to say you couldn't reuse some of the research, but you will need to write a different paper.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
TESU capstone is a course culminating what you have learned throughout your undergrad, essentially. You can complete the capstone course but gear it towards the "Mathematical" side of things. So, I would elaborate more in regards to Math focused learning, materials you've gone through, and keep the subject within that realm.

Your ECPI university capstone actually is a project, and a project plus lab. They're not really the same thing as it is geared towards your particular program. So, you're doing Mechanical Engineering Technology, your topic project would be to do with enhancing technology using the principles you've learned in Mechanical Engineering...

Having said that, the BA Capstone can be anything, but I highly recommend people sticking to their Major. You can swing things around in your favor by "using" the same contents of the ECPI Mechanical Engineering Project, and incorporating those into your TESU Capstone.

Example, your ECPI project might be 25-30 pages paper/thesis and a simple build, you can use what you've done in it - and re-write a more mathematical paper dealing with the same type of thesis/project.

You're basically reusing your work, but not re-submitting the same work, you're making major modifications and answering specific questions/requests when you start your BA Capstone, the end result of the papers are significantly different.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Self plagiarism is a thing? Seriously?
(02-26-2020, 11:35 PM)davewill Wrote: TESU requires you to take their capstone through them. You're not allowed to transfer it in.

Edit: I just reread your post and realize you intend to reuse your work. That is considered self-plagiarism and you will be in trouble, if detected. That's not to say you couldn't reuse some of the research, but you will need to write a different paper.

Sent from my SM-N950U using DegreeForum.net mobile app

Thank you, this makes perfect sense, and is kind of the answer i was looking for. I expected that modifying the work would be necessary, but was hoping to have to do less overall work in total by reusing as much as i could.
(02-27-2020, 11:26 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TESU capstone is a course culminating what you have learned throughout your undergrad, essentially. You can complete the capstone course but gear it towards the "Mathematical" side of things. So, I would elaborate more in regards to Math focused learning, materials you've gone through, and keep the subject within that realm.

Your ECPI university capstone actually is a project, and a project plus lab. They're not really the same thing as it is geared towards your particular program. So, you're doing Mechanical Engineering Technology, your topic project would be to do with enhancing technology using the principles you've learned in Mechanical Engineering...

Having said that, the BA Capstone can be anything, but I highly recommend people sticking to their Major. You can swing things around in your favor by "using" the same contents of the ECPI Mechanical Engineering Project, and incorporating those into your TESU Capstone.

Example, your ECPI project might be 25-30 pages paper/thesis and a simple build, you can use what you've done in it - and re-write a more mathematical paper dealing with the same type of thesis/project.

You're basically reusing your work, but not re-submitting the same work, you're making major modifications and answering specific questions/requests when you start your BA Capstone, the end result of the papers are significantly different.

Sent from my SM-N950U using DegreeForum.net mobile app
-----
Attending ECPI Online for Mechanical Engineering Technology - Bachelors - Graduation planned in 2020
(02-26-2020, 08:14 PM)dharmastudios Wrote: So I'm doing math through TESU, and MET through ECPI. I'll be taking the capstone for my MET BS in August.

Do you think I can use the coursework from one to get through the other? One is a BS and one is a BA, but other than that, are capstones usually similar enough that you can do something like that?
How do you like ECPI's MET program?

Seems kind of spendy; are you using employer tuition reimbursement or GI Bill?
(03-08-2020, 11:28 AM)terryd5150 Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 08:14 PM)dharmastudios Wrote: So I'm doing math through TESU, and MET through ECPI. I'll be taking the capstone for my MET BS in August.

How do you like ECPI's MET program?

Seems kind of spendy; are you using employer tuition reimbursement or GI Bill?

I like it. It's compacted and I feel like I"m progressing along nicely. If you don't already have a tech and a little bit of an engineering background, I could see struggling with it. I'm using tuition reimbursement for it. I didn't like that they didn't take most of my classes as a transfer in, but they took all my core stuff and had a valid argument against the other stuff. The tech stuff I tried to transfer in was roughly 20 years old, and so much has changed in the last few years they wouldn't accept it. They'll take classes that are no more than 10 years old. So, valid point. I accepted that. I clepped their max, and am working my way through the real meat of everything. Cost wise? Eh. I don't know. Compared to any of my local schools (which I could NOT do, because of full time work and two kids and their school and everything, it's not possible for me to sit in a local schools classroom) it was like 1/4 the cost. There's only a couple of places that offer anything mechanical engineering like online, and this one is actually the cheapest. The one through the university of alabama actually required you go there physically for a couple of labs, plus it'd take longer.
-----
Yes, ECPI is one of a select few that actually has several Engineering Technology programs as it's a Polytechnic Educational institution, I looked at their programs before but I don't recall if any are competency based, and I can never find the proper pricing for their programs anywhere. I always wanted to find the cost but never had the chance to email/contact them, I should though...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The rates I'm locked into include a discount, so this isn't 100% accurate but I'm paying $7992 a semester for 12-18 credits. I've tried to keep it pegged to 18, but some are labs and labs are usually 1. There's also a $390 per semester technology fee, which covers books and the online access and all that jazz. Their semesters and normal school semesters don't line up, though. Your semester starts when your enrollment starts, much like the other semi-self-paced schools do. So because I started classes on July 23rd, my first semester started then and ended 15 weeks later. March 1st I finished my second semester, and therefore my first academic year. End of June I'll be finishing my third semester and graduating with my Associates, then continuing on into the bachelors program. The BS MET degree will come sometime around July or August. There's some potential fluctuation in my schedule right now, and I have a couple of terms that only have one class because there's serious limits on it. The BS program has a lot fewer students, so getting the classes scheduled is harder, and they're streamlining us all together. I'm not for certain, but we might actually be the first set of BS MET graduates.

Some of the classes have left me rolling my eyes going "wow, this really has to be taught?" but then I've been working in fields related to a lot of this for most of my life, even though I never finished my degree before. It seems like the majority of this is culminating things that I've already known, learned through various sources on my own, or learned years ago into a heap of knowledge that I'll need later on. Some of the things are new and some of the classes have been tough and required a lot of work and study. They're compact, so the assignments don't ever stop, and for those I have really had to put some effort into it. The further along I go the more useful the information gets and the more I feel I'm learning.

I'll post my degree audit so far so you can look at it.

Here's my current standing with the degree audit for the AS MET.

Attached Files
.jpg   ECPI-MET1.JPG (Size: 99.08 KB / Downloads: 9)
.jpg   ECPI-MET2.JPG (Size: 123.13 KB / Downloads: 5)
.jpg   ECPI-MET3.JPG (Size: 89.84 KB / Downloads: 5)
-----

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capstone Writing: Tips & Tricks rachel83az 11 25,750 01-25-2024, 11:46 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Double Majors in College: What to Know LevelUP 0 416 06-08-2023, 10:03 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is Double Majoring Worth It? LevelUP 8 906 09-13-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  ?schools that don't require Capstone for BA/BS amberwalk 7 1,577 07-02-2020, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Capstone Topic Ideas - Animal Related Silly_Me 6 3,732 12-13-2019, 05:30 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Bachelors with NO capstone radconjohn 11 4,848 11-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Last Post: JoshDosMil
  Capstone classes boymom1031 3 1,223 10-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Capstone again! Thank you again! posabsolute 5 1,921 08-01-2019, 06:46 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  What capstone course exactly means?? cecilgambe7 2 1,046 07-18-2019, 08:28 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Capstone(s)... What are they and how do they work??? Idreamofadegree 10 2,700 07-16-2019, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Idreamofadegree