Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capstone: Guided Study or Online? Advice please!
Hello,

I can't believe this day is finally here, but I'm in the process of enrolling into the Capstone and SOS 110 in Dec term for my BALS.  I don't which capstone to select - the guided study or online?  Which one did you pick and why?  Is there an easier one?  Is a one-on-one with a professor more nitpicky?  Professor recommendations?  Any advice appreciated!
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
[-] The following 1 user Likes collegechick's post:
  • ss20ts
I'll be starting capstone in January. I've been reading on this thread a bit for some of the same questions you have. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ine-Course
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • collegechick
Wow, collegechick, you're already there!  It won't really matter which option to choose, it's almost the same amount of work.
Online Course - if you like interaction with fellow students, you'll be in the discussion forums, writing back/forth to posts
Guided Study - if you've not got time to deal with posts and want extra assignments to work on, this would be the option

BTW, what courses did you take for your BALS UL?  Did you make sure all 5 UL came through to TESU properly? Have you sent them in to be added into your academic evalution? I read that the TEEX Death Investigation course may be dropped as Lower Level, but not sure if that has happened or if it will happen.  You want to make sure all your courses have come in properly before signing up for the January Capstone.  

Last but not least, are you thinking of paying the residency waiver fee or do you already about about 16 residency credits?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-13-2020, 01:41 PM)P226mem Wrote: I'll be starting capstone in January.   I've been reading on this thread a bit for some of the same questions you have. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ine-Course

Thank you for that link!  After reading it and researching professors (ratemyprofessors.com), I decided to go with the online format.  I'm registered for the December term.  Feel free to hit me up with any questions. 

(11-13-2020, 02:22 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wow, collegechick, you're already there!  It won't really matter which option to choose, it's almost the same amount of work.
Online Course - if you like interaction with fellow students, you'll be in the discussion forums, writing back/forth to posts
Guided Study - if you've not got time to deal with posts and want extra assignments to work on, this would be the option

BTW, what courses did you take for your BALS UL?  Did you make sure all 5 UL came through to TESU properly? Have you sent them in to be added into your academic evalution?  I read that the TEEX Death Investigation course may be dropped as Lower Level, but not sure if that has happened or if it will happen.  You want to make sure all your courses have come in properly before signing up for the January Capstone.  

Last but not least, are you thinking of paying the residency waiver fee or do you already about about 16 residency credits?

Hi BJ!  A special thanks to you and all of your help!  I couldn't have gotten this far without your informational support! 

The UL's TESU have applied this far:

PSY-401 Industrial/Orgznl Psychology from SDC - 3 credits
AOJ-340 Criminalistics (TEEX Death Investigation) - 3 Credits (yes, they did count this as UL)
CIS-344 Computer Security (TEEX) - 2 credits

and I am a little annoyed they refused to add my three UL Coopersmith courses until I'm ten days into the DEC term.  However, I have written confirmation they will transfer:

PSY-318 Sport and Exercise Psychology - 3 credits
PSY-302 Abnormal Psychology - 3 credits
PSY-310 Foundations of Stress Management - 3 credits

I also asked for the free Ethics course to be moved back to fulfill the Ethics requirement.  They'd moved it to the UL AOS and in no way shape or form did I ever want to take another ethics course!!

Thank you for the Coopersmith recommendations.  The most expensive, but definitely the least painful out of all my courses.  Only complaint is they didn't send me an e-mail alerting me my final grade was ready and I could have transferred credits and had them applied sooner.

I think I am paying the residency waiver.  I was awarded Pell Grant money and still had to pay $999 + a $28 processing fee.  I've completed an AAS Computer Studies degree as well, just need the final capstone.  I will take that in March, paying full price for this degree.  This pushes off my graduation until September.  This way I can avoid an additional graduation application fee, combining the two.

Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some advice tpell1219 14 464 Yesterday, 08:00 PM
Last Post: RJ77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 360 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,263 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,325 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
  How often Study.com transcript to TESU? Carnation 3 438 12-09-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Study.com Digital Marketing No Longer UL After Nov 1st LevelUP 12 943 12-05-2023, 01:29 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,038 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk