Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capstone Oral Presentation?
On the syllabus for lib arts capstone it states "oral presentation" worth 10% of the grade.  Anyone have info of this?  What are we to present and how does this work?
Wait, what? This is the first time I've heard of this here (hadn't read the syllabus). I don't want to do a presentation on anything. Ugh.
(08-10-2020, 09:48 AM)amberwalk Wrote: On the syllabus for lib arts capstone it states "oral presentation" worth 10% of the grade.  Anyone have info of this?  What are we to present and how does this work?

I saw it too and was about to start a thread with the very same question.
If you’re referring to TESU, I’m pretty sure that there are presentations required in both the capstone and cornerstone courses. From what I understand, at least for the corner stone, it’s something that you would record and send in and is not much as a big deal as we think. At least that is what I’ve heard from those that have completed it.

HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(08-10-2020, 03:38 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: If you’re referring to TESU, I’m pretty sure that there are presentations required in both the capstone and cornerstone courses. From what I understand, at least for the corner stone, it’s something that you would record and send in and is not much as a big deal as we think. At least that is what I’ve heard from those that have completed it.

HTH!

I think the presentation requirement in the capstone is new at TESU. At least that wasn't a requirement when I took it, but then again I did the business capstone and not the liberal arts capstone.

However, I did have to do an oral presentation for my MBA capstone at WGU. For this, they asked for a prerecorded video presentation. So I had to record a video of myself presenting my slides and discussing the various aspects of the report. My submission was a copy of that video and the slides themselves.

I don't like public speaking, so I always avoid these kinds of situations except when required for work or something. Because it was prerecorded, it was far less stressful since I knew I could always go back and record it again if I didn't like how it came out. I managed to do mine in one take, but I know others who made multiple edits and revisions to both their video presentation and the slides after reviewing their work, or based on instructor feedback.

My MBA presentation was like 30 minutes long, but I assume the TESU capstone presentation is probably closer to 10 minutes which should be easier.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • akr680, ChilliDawg
I'm doing the capstone right now:

Oral Presentation
You are required to develop a recorded video presentation (8 to 10 minutes) on the goals, achievements, and conclusions of the capstone project. You should provide a thorough discussion and analysis, indicating the interpretations of your findings and what you learned when completing this project. This presentation will showcase your oral communication skills, so pay special attention to how you communicate your thoughts. Your presentation should be well organized, compelling, credible, and polished.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
[-] The following 1 user Likes posabsolute's post:
  • jch
(08-10-2020, 03:38 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: If you’re referring to TESU, I’m pretty sure that there are presentations required in both the capstone and cornerstone courses. From what I understand, at least for the corner stone, it’s something that you would record and send in and is not much as a big deal as we think. At least that is what I’ve heard from those that have completed it.

HTH!

The cornerstone TES-100 didn't have any oral presentation requirements back when I took it. It was actually rather easy and with no final exam that I wasn't sure the course was completed, I asked just to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Same here I do not like public speaking, but if it is a prerecorded video I can manage it.
The new cornerstone, SOS-110 does. Sad

BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(08-10-2020, 09:29 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: The cornerstone TES-100 didn't have any oral presentation requirements back when I took it. It was actually rather easy and with no final exam that I wasn't sure the course was completed, I asked just to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Well, TES-100 wasn't a real course. It was basically an introduction to online learning and could easily be completed in a single day given proper dedication. It should not have been creditworthy, despite earning you 1cr for taking it. It was effectively optional since the cornerstone requirement was waived for anyone coming in with >100 credits or for anyone with a corporate partnership (such as Study.com affiliation). So TES-100 doesn't really count as a cornerstone course, despite having been called that for the short time it was required.

The new cornerstone is a proper information literacy course that requires actual effort, plus coursework, written papers, and apparently an oral presentation.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(08-11-2020, 01:50 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 09:29 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: The cornerstone TES-100 didn't have any oral presentation requirements back when I took it. It was actually rather easy and with no final exam that I wasn't sure the course was completed, I asked just to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Well, TES-100 wasn't a real course. It was basically an introduction to online learning and could easily be completed in a single day given proper dedication. It should not have been creditworthy, despite earning you 1cr for taking it.  It was effectively optional since the cornerstone requirement was waived for anyone coming in with >100 credits or for anyone with a corporate partnership (such as Study.com affiliation). So TES-100 doesn't really count as a cornerstone course, despite having been called that for the short time it was required.

The new cornerstone is a proper information literacy course that requires actual effort, plus coursework, written papers, and apparently an oral presentation.
Agree, in fact now I just finished Library Sciences in lieu of SOS110. One thing that TES100 did for me is restoring my faith in going back to college, seems silly but that was the first course I took after so many years being away from college and have to say I was terrified to restart after such a long time, but the course was so short, I wrote to TESU to double check , I couldn't believe I had just completed a course, I have been taking course after course since then and am enjoying it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lacedonia4's post:
  • PrettyFlyforaChiGuy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 11 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 360 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,325 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,038 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,143 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Capstone project Done gams007 5 876 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gams007
  I need help with Kaltura for the capstone oral presentation mcquacks2 3 661 04-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TESU transfering alt credits after doing capstone or during? CanICode 5 871 03-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone disney_day_dreamer 12 1,969 02-21-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Anyone willing to share their capstone experience/sample? Amberlinjeanne 9 1,653 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne