Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capstone topic
I'm getting nervous... Capstone (with Dr Cody) starts in less than a week. Actually got a group email from him this morning.

So, I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with topics/ideas. My major is BA.SS, so social sciences can include history, behavior health, etc.

I like Community Health, so was thinking something to do with the history of Community Health in the US (from what I recall it often dealt with educating mothers/families of immigrants & other economically disadvantaged peoples).

How would I propose this?

Is there another angle I could come from? Other topic suggestions????:confused:
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
In my experience, writing about a topic you aren't passionate is difficult. You chose this major for a reason I'd assume. What about it drew you to it? Find something that you feel that you can get really involved in. When we are passionate about a topic, it tends to flow from us much more freely.
B&M
Introduction To Computer Information Systems
French I

ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
College Algebra
PreCalculus

SOPHIA
Art History 1
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Foundations Of English Composition
Conflict Resolution
College Readiness

Mamasaphire Wrote:I'm getting nervous... Capstone (with Dr Cody) starts in less than a week. Actually got a group email from him this morning.

So, I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with topics/ideas. My major is BA.SS, so social sciences can include history, behavior health, etc.

I like Community Health, so was thinking something to do with the history of Community Health in the US (from what I recall it often dealt with educating mothers/families of immigrants & other economically disadvantaged peoples).

How would I propose this?

Is there another angle I could come from? Other topic suggestions????:confused:

Your topic really can be anything you're interested in, and I don't think most of the mentors insist that it relate directly to your major. However, in my experience, you will need to narrow your topic "questions" significantly. You can't just write a history paper, which would use research done entirely by other people. The history of the topic would be a part of one of your chapters, but it would not be the focus of the entire paper. You'll likely need to conduct your own research in some way, either through interviews or surveys. Each mentor is different in their requirements and approach; my mentor specifically wanted us to identify a "problem" that is able to be documented as existing, before doing the research on it. So for example, one of my classmates wanted to research the "problem" of food safety in U.S. restaurants, and used the recent Chipotle issues as documentation of the problem. In my mentor's words: "You first have to document that this is actually happening before you can study it--Ideally it needs to happen within the United States and in the past 5 to 10 years. You cannot go on your own anecdotal evidence or heresay. Otherwise this will be a project that will simply be created to confirm your own bias. A good way to document this is by looking at government data or published research that has noted a problem..." Personally I think the topic you mentioned sounds really interesting and I think you could totally make it work by narrowing it down more specifically. I've heard Cody is a good mentor, and I've also heard that he provides sample papers.

Also, this thread may be helpful to you: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...dback.html
June 2016: B.A. in English - TESU

CLEP
A&I Lit 79, Intro Soc 65, Intro Psych 73, Intro Edu Psych 60, Human G&D 65, English Lit 73, Am Lit 73, Hum 63, College Comp 63, Prin Mark 73
DSST
Intro Comp 460, Env & Hum 65, Intro World Rel 475, Tech Writ 67, Ethics in Amer 456, H/C Geog 60, Gen Anthro 68, R&F Sov Un 73, HTYH 468
TECEP
Public Relations: Thought and Practice 86
TEEX
Cyber 101: Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber 201: Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber 301: Cyber Security for Business Professionals
ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
UEXCEL
Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School - A

Credits 120/120 I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
C. S. Lewis
happydayruth Wrote:... You'll likely need to conduct your own research in some way, either through interviews or surveys. Each mentor is different in their requirements and approach; ...
I took my Capstone from Dr. Cody and I did no primary research at all. Got a good grade, too. At least two of my classmates chose historical figures as subjects.

The way to attack your topic is to try and write a question you would answer in your paper. You first assignment is going to be to write a main question and 3-5 subquestions for up to 3 topics and post them for feedback. Dr. Cody will specifically give you feedback and suggestions. Don't worry. The class does a good job of keeping you moving in the right direction.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:I took my Capstone from Dr. Cody and I did no primary research at all. Got a good grade, too. At least two of my classmates chose historical figures as subjects.

The way to attack your topic is to try and write a question you would answer in your paper. You first assignment is going to be to write a main question and 3-5 subquestions for up to 3 topics and post them for feedback. Dr. Cody will specifically give you feedback and suggestions. Don't worry. The class does a good job of keeping you moving in the right direction.

Even better. Seems like each mentor is different!

Mamasaphire, don't stress too much. It's intimidating before you start, but like davewill said - the class does a good job of keeping you moving step by step.
June 2016: B.A. in English - TESU

CLEP
A&I Lit 79, Intro Soc 65, Intro Psych 73, Intro Edu Psych 60, Human G&D 65, English Lit 73, Am Lit 73, Hum 63, College Comp 63, Prin Mark 73
DSST
Intro Comp 460, Env & Hum 65, Intro World Rel 475, Tech Writ 67, Ethics in Amer 456, H/C Geog 60, Gen Anthro 68, R&F Sov Un 73, HTYH 468
TECEP
Public Relations: Thought and Practice 86
TEEX
Cyber 101: Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber 201: Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber 301: Cyber Security for Business Professionals
ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
UEXCEL
Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School - A

Credits 120/120 I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
C. S. Lewis
I took the Capstone in July with Steve Ryan and he didn't require that he approve the topic first, nor that it relate to our major. As Dave pointed out, as long as you can come up 3 sub-questions which will answer your major question (and can find sufficient resources for each question) your topic should be fine. In the event you do decide to narrow the scope of your research you could always focus on a particular time period, so you could drill down to the advancement of Community Health in the U.S. from a particular time period until now. Don't be nervous, you will do fine! Coming up with a topic is the hardest part in my opinion.
Thank you all for the much appreciated & encouraging words!

I'm sure it won't be long before I'll be on your end, saying it was a good experience, but for now I feel like I am looking over a precipice with a long rope bridge hanging perilously in front of me :p

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1904[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">bridge.jpg (Size: 45.77 KB / Downloads: 1)
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
That bridge looks secure! Just everyone don't push and shove... Hey, it's easier than a tight rope at least...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I don't know if either of these topics would interest you.

1. The Effects of Increased Spending on and/or Improvement of Community Health Initiatives

2. Socioeconomic Factors in Community Health Trends
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
bjcheung77 Wrote:That bridge looks secure! Just everyone don't push and shove... Hey, it's easier than a tight rope at least...

You are right... this looks worse! [ATTACH=CONFIG]1905[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">grand canyon.jpg (Size: 25.27 KB / Downloads: 2)
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,099 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,299 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,733 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,669 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,969 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Research topic LA498 22gunsonfire 2 1,280 07-07-2018, 04:48 PM
Last Post: 22gunsonfire
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,803 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,534 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,793 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,622 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill