Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career Choices Post-Graduation
So I'm really close to signing up for the thesis course (TESU) and I was wondering if anybody on here graduated without already being in the career path they were wanting. I see a lot of folks here who are getting a degree just so they qualify for promotions or to have it. But has anybody graduated recently-ish while in a dead-end job so they can switch tracks entirely, get a completely new job? What was/is that process like?
Working towards BALS at TESU

Transfer:
 41 credits 

Currently working on: 
Language and Literacy in Education (OnlineDegree)

Completed:
Study.com: Personal Finance 102, History 108, Psychology 106, Psychology 104, Communications 120, Religion 101

Free: Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for Professionals

CLEP (free through Modern States): American Government, A+I Lit, American Lit, History of the US 1
(09-11-2018, 03:45 PM)Doodlebabe Wrote: So I'm really close to signing up for the thesis course (TESU) and I was wondering if anybody on here graduated without already being in the career path they were wanting. I see a lot of folks here who are getting a degree just so they qualify for promotions or to have it. But has anybody graduated recently-ish while in a dead-end job so they can switch tracks entirely, get a completely new job? What was/is that process like?

Once I put my degree on my resume as: "TESU Bachelors of Art - Graduating 09/14/2018" I got a lot more hits. I eventually took a job at the beginning of August in a corporate risk department that is vastly different than my last customer service type job. One of the requirements was a BS/BA so it definitely helped and I was transparent about it on my resume and application. 

I would not say that the transition was difficult or much different from any new job, but the raise was a great deal more than what I was expecting. No complaints on that of course.
[-] The following 2 users Like Johmford's post:
  • Doodlebabe, Ideas
Here is a thread that might interest you "How has your degree improved your life?" : https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-your-life
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Doodlebabe
(09-11-2018, 03:45 PM)Doodlebabe Wrote: So I'm really close to signing up for the thesis course (TESU) and I was wondering if anybody on here graduated without already being in the career path they were wanting. I see a lot of folks here who are getting a degree just so they qualify for promotions or to have it. But has anybody graduated recently-ish while in a dead-end job so they can switch tracks entirely, get a completely new job? What was/is that process like?

My 20 year old will graduate this year with a degree in business and plans to apply for a job that is significantly different than what he's doing- he's not there yet, but one of our plans is for him to take a summer internship in the field he's considering. That should help a bit with experience and networking plus just getting mentally ready for an "adult" job.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 915 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Why Majoring in the Humanities Can Be a Great Career Move allvia 1 313 10-08-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  7 years later - College graduation... bjcheung77 0 333 05-20-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree choices. BA Supply chain management vs BLS with an MIS minor Schlafen 12 993 01-31-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  College majors (again) and career training... bjcheung77 2 559 11-13-2022, 10:44 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 Ways You Can Be Discriminated Against Based on Your College Choices LevelUP 0 724 10-07-2022, 09:45 AM
Question Graduation Rate for DegreeForum Members? LevelUP 9 1,074 06-14-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 7 972 05-20-2022, 06:53 PM
  Universal Technical Institute buys Concorde Career Colleges bjcheung77 0 427 05-16-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Google's new $100 million Google Career Certificates Fund MNomadic 19 2,074 05-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Last Post: MNomadic