Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career Options?
(11-17-2017, 10:02 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 09:51 PM)cali86 Wrote: Honestly, career-wise I have done a lot. Everyone I know calls me the jack of all trades. I have worked in retail, the office, as a caregiver for developmentally disabled adults, an in-home care provider for the state, CNA, Dental assistant, teachers assistant, preschool teacher and now sub teacher. I cannot do a job with heavy labor work though there is absolutely no way lol. I am definitely the management business type too... I used to own a businesses which I built from the ground up. I spent hours researching and did everything from advertising, marketing, and running it myself. I also am a self-learner I taught myself how to coupon and I have taught others how to coupon, save money, and budget. I think I will try that career aptitude test mentioned on here lol. I was originally planning to teach and move up into Administration eventually. A lot of people who know me agreed it would be a good mix for me when I mentioned it awhile ago so it's interesting to see it was mentioned here as well. Is there any careers where I can work for companies and save them money? lol!

Finance (dealing with budgets) or accounting (finding tax loopholes).

Like a Financial Advisor? or Accountant? I had considered both of those as well. I want a career that will keep me busy! When I worked in the office at the schools the principal was having to have me help her with her projects because I was already done with all my work.
I know a "teacher" and "National Guard Officer" who loves to say he has the best two Part-time jobs in America. Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 3 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • cali86, High_Order1, studiousimp
(11-17-2017, 10:22 PM)cali86 Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 09:51 PM)cali86 Wrote: Honestly, career-wise I have done a lot. Everyone I know calls me the jack of all trades. I have worked in retail, the office, as a caregiver for developmentally disabled adults, an in-home care provider for the state, CNA, Dental assistant, teachers assistant, preschool teacher and now sub teacher. I cannot do a job with heavy labor work though there is absolutely no way lol. I am definitely the management business type too... I used to own a businesses which I built from the ground up. I spent hours researching and did everything from advertising, marketing, and running it myself. I also am a self-learner I taught myself how to coupon and I have taught others how to coupon, save money, and budget. I think I will try that career aptitude test mentioned on here lol. I was originally planning to teach and move up into Administration eventually. A lot of people who know me agreed it would be a good mix for me when I mentioned it awhile ago so it's interesting to see it was mentioned here as well. Is there any careers where I can work for companies and save them money? lol!

Like a Financial Advisor? or Accountant? I had considered both of those as well. I want a career that will keep me busy! When I worked in the office at the schools the principal was having to have me help her with her projects because I was already done with all my work.

Financial advisor or any position within a company that has to do with budgeting. With accounting, you can become a CPA and either do taxes for businesses or concentrate on individuals and small business owners. You can also do taxes without a degree and become an Enrolled Agent. If you're still interested in couponing, you can start a blog.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • cali86
(11-17-2017, 10:35 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 10:22 PM)cali86 Wrote:

Financial advisor or any position within a company that has to do with budgeting. With accounting, you can become a CPA and either do taxes for businesses or concentrate on individuals and small business owners. You can also do taxes without a degree and become an Enrolled Agent. If you're still interested in couponing, you can start a blog.

Ok great, these are good ideas. As far as the couponing goes I already have a facebook page running for it lol

(11-17-2017, 10:32 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I know a "teacher" and "National Guard Officer" who loves to say he has the best two Part-time jobs in America. Big Grin
Lol, wow, he's busy I just want one job to keep me busy that I won't feel bored in. I like to be challenged I like to research and gather new ideas etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cali86's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Operations Manager sounds maybe more like your kind of thing.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Actually, a lot of people I know have said their Myers-Briggs changed over time.  Maybe not changing the letters, but the degree to which they landed on the scale.

For aptitude, I remember my HS testing - they asked questions that I honestly didn't know the answers to, and I just chose B or whatever.  Things about being detail-oriented for instance.  I wasn't really sure at that point, since I hadn't had a lot of chances to have those kinds of experiences.  Some things I learned about myself once I actually had jobs.  You don't know that it will drive you crazy to be off by a penny at the cash register until you know - and those people that said "don't worry about it, it's just a penny/nickel/dollar."  No, it's not the amount, it's the FACT that I'm off that is bothering me!!  Big Grin
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-18-2017, 02:13 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Actually, a lot of people I know have said their Myers-Briggs changed over time.  Maybe not changing the letters, but the degree to which they landed on the scale.

For aptitude, I remember my HS testing - they asked questions that I honestly didn't know the answers to, and I just chose B or whatever.  Things about being detail-oriented for instance.  I wasn't really sure at that point, since I hadn't had a lot of chances to have those kinds of experiences.  Some things I learned about myself once I actually had jobs.  You don't know that it will drive you crazy to be off by a penny at the cash register until you know - and those people that said "don't worry about it, it's just a penny/nickel/dollar."  No, it's not the amount, it's the FACT that I'm off that is bothering me!!  Big Grin

Career suggestions are usually based on the letters and not the degree. A properly-designed aptitude test will be age appropriate, but your experiences in school should tell you whether or not you're detail-oriented. Since you didn't know if you were, then you probably weren't. And, a person who is very detail-oriented wouldn't have a cash register that is off. Tongue No shade. I had cash registers that were off a couple of times.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • cali86
You should look into becoming a financial advisor. That's my plan. The kind that get paid for their advice, not paid on commissions, so you're actually helping people. Look into the Certified Financial Planner designation and learn more about it from the XY Planning Network, Financial Planning Association or Garrett Planning Network.

You get to educate people, be intellectually challenged, and you can have your own business and do it your own way if you want.
[-] The following 1 user Likes amilitab4k9's post:
  • cali86
Keep an eye on the new tax plan before becoming a cpa.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

Ok I have been really thinking this through carefully the past few days. I have been trying to figure out what I truly want to do. I have decided I am interested in either teaching or senior level management... The teaching route is easy I already know how to get there but if I want to move up in management where do I even start? Like what kind of management do people usually go into to work there way up? Do I need any certs? I currently will have a Bachelors in Liberal Studies, AA in Liberal Studies and a AA in Business Administration Management. I am 7 courses from a Bachelors in Business Administration that I plan on finishing after my degree is conferred. I realize I will need a Masters eventually but do I start in retail management now? Or supervisor positions in warehouses?? There is a wide range available ... but I don’t want to waste time in the wrong position.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 5 154 04-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,120 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Analysis paralysis options jb111 5 448 02-13-2024, 11:49 AM
  Master of Healthcare Administration - options? allvia 4 805 05-10-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: CatsDomino
  MSCS options ElephantCart 14 1,898 08-27-2022, 02:12 PM
  MS Data Science/Data Analytics options? Latesterna 24 3,819 06-08-2022, 02:03 PM
  List My Master's Degree Options TINASAM 11 1,897 06-08-2022, 01:55 PM
  Masters degree options after BSBA at TESU schlocker 7 1,398 05-23-2022, 06:11 AM
Last Post: freeloader
  Affordable Arkansas Degree Options bjcheung77 2 1,512 01-03-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  <gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! bjcheung77 19 3,289 05-03-2021, 11:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore