Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certification or Graduate Degree
I'm trying to do the same - but as a single mom. I stayed at home and supported my ex-husband. Now, he's doing extremely well and I'm just kinda existing. My mistake though, was waiting to go back to school until my baby started Pre-K. I attempted but didn't do well. Looking back I see that he really did sabotage a lot of my efforts in favor of his own. I'm in a FB group for moms and and some express their intent to stay home. I never try to dissuade them, but I do remind them to make sure they are taken care of and are able to function if something happens.
Currently working on: BSBA-Accounting @ WGU

Open Source Degrees: Computer Science | Data Science | Game Development
Brownie82 Wrote:I'm trying to do the same - but as a single mom. I stayed at home and supported my ex-husband. Now, he's doing extremely well and I'm just kinda existing. My mistake though, was waiting to go back to school until my baby started Pre-K. I attempted but didn't do well. Looking back I see that he really did sabotage a lot of my efforts in favor of his own. I'm in a FB group for moms and and some express their intent to stay home. I never try to dissuade them, but I do remind them to make sure they are taken care of and are able to function if something happens.

If you have the time, take a look at the Beginners Guide and the degreeforum.wikia.com wiki pages as it has valuable info on getting your Associates or Bachelors degree cheap, easy, fast... oh, I noticed you did ALEKS for Algebra, if you still have access, you may want to complete Intermediate and College Algebra. And if you have the energy and more time, tackle Stats.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:If you have the time, take a look at the Beginners Guide and the degreeforum.wikia.com wiki pages as it has valuable info on getting your Associates or Bachelors degree cheap, easy, fast... oh, I noticed you did ALEKS for Algebra, if you still have access, you may want to complete Intermediate and College Algebra. And if you have the energy and more time, tackle Stats.

I've been reading this and the other forums obsessively and comparing lesson plans, lol. I have my eye on a math or computer science degree, so I've been plugging along in Aleks. I've been busy with Personal Finance since I got the guardian scholarship and forgot that Aleks may not get renewed. If it does, I have it for about 2 more weeks, so I'm going to try to get those extra courses in.
Currently working on: BSBA-Accounting @ WGU

Open Source Degrees: Computer Science | Data Science | Game Development
armyb77 Wrote:A PMP Certificate with a BSBA will work. There is a simple difference between an MBA and Certifications.
The MBA shows discipline and the ability to follow things through.
The Certification shows your understanding and the ability to do the job.

At the end of the day it will be what the employer is looking for to add to his organization. An MBA with PMP, and PM-ACP will get you far. !

Most certs are worth zero. But PMP is one of the exceptions.

I agree with this. The BSBA + PMP is sufficient. i would not spend more time and money on an MBA unless your desired positions explicitly say MBA is the minimum requirement. But if you start seeing positions requiring MBA as you advance and your work is willing to pay for it, then yeah get the MBA.

Cybersecurity/infosec is another area where the cert is better than the grad degree. I would rather have a CISSP than a master's in cybersecurity. Also, I would trade the MS cybersecurity for the MBA if you are going for the CSO job someday.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
I'm late to the party (what else is new), but to get the full PMP, you have to have a bachelors degree *plus* 4500 hours documented leading/managing projects. People new in the field can take the CAPM, which requires only a high school diploma plus 23hrs of PM education (pretty sure UCI Extension's Coursera Project Management Specialization qualifies for the exam, and transfers into their full PM certificate if that seems interesting to you - I've taken UCI Extension classes previously and enjoyed them). IMO, the PM certificate is only as useful as the experience underpinning it. If you're not working, consider volunteering and getting knee deep into something that will allow you to develop skills PM-wise for the charity. You want actual project management 'show & tell' items for your resume and for those interviews.

The advantage of the degree over the cert is the educational underpinning. It suggests that the person has an understanding of the broader environment in which s/he is leading the project. A business PM has a clue about the economics, supply chain, accounting/costing, etc. An engineering/CS/software/IT PM has an idea about tech sourcing/deployment, tool chains, etc., as well as costing and other related business issues.

Think about objections that you might face, and find ways to address them. For example, how can you learn the ropes of actual PM work if you're home full-time? I'm not sure that it's possible. So think about opportunities for part-time internships, volunteer experience, etc. Managers need to have their fingers on the pulse, so to speak. How can you make that happen, within your current paradigm?

I agree with the others who've suggested that you really focus on making steady progress toward your first bachelors, even as you consider all of the cool add-ons. You can do the speed run at the BSBA, or take longer with something more focused (CS, analytics, IT, etc)...but make it priority one to *finish* something. Along the way, you may find ways to incorporate the add-ons (like the CAPM, with the minimal classroom hours) or to structure your degree path to hit a lot of opportunities (this is the approach I've taken, my sig outlines the overall tree). But whatever you do, remember that planning will get you only so far...it's the execution that will bring success. So execute-execute-execute. Do *something* every. single. day. You'll get there!
SolarKat Wrote:I'm late to the party (what else is new), but to get the full PMP, you have to have a bachelors degree *plus* 4500 hours documented leading/managing projects. People new in the field can take the CAPM, which requires only a high school diploma plus 23hrs of PM education (pretty sure UCI Extension's Coursera Project Management Specialization qualifies for the exam, and transfers into their full PM certificate if that seems interesting to you - I've taken UCI Extension classes previously and enjoyed them). IMO, the PM certificate is only as useful as the experience underpinning it. If you're not working, consider volunteering and getting knee deep into something that will allow you to develop skills PM-wise for the charity. You want actual project management 'show & tell' items for your resume and for those interviews.

The advantage of the degree over the cert is the educational underpinning. It suggests that the person has an understanding of the broader environment in which s/he is leading the project. A business PM has a clue about the economics, supply chain, accounting/costing, etc. An engineering/CS/software/IT PM has an idea about tech sourcing/deployment, tool chains, etc., as well as costing and other related business issues.

Think about objections that you might face, and find ways to address them. For example, how can you learn the ropes of actual PM work if you're home full-time? I'm not sure that it's possible. So think about opportunities for part-time internships, volunteer experience, etc. Managers need to have their fingers on the pulse, so to speak. How can you make that happen, within your current paradigm?

I agree with the others who've suggested that you really focus on making steady progress toward your first bachelors, even as you consider all of the cool add-ons. You can do the speed run at the BSBA, or take longer with something more focused (CS, analytics, IT, etc)...but make it priority one to *finish* something. Along the way, you may find ways to incorporate the add-ons (like the CAPM, with the minimal classroom hours) or to structure your degree path to hit a lot of opportunities (this is the approach I've taken, my sig outlines the overall tree). But whatever you do, remember that planning will get you only so far...it's the execution that will bring success. So execute-execute-execute. Do *something* every. single. day. You'll get there!

Yup, I have been acting as PM in my job for about 2 years now (not exactly 4500 but close). I don't have the title of PM but that's because department VP doesn't ever seem to agree with my department Manager about my formal promotion. She doesn't think I'm ready but I figure it has more to do with my "look" - I'll leave it there. Plenty of increases in responsibility, no money. Thus my goal, to complete my degree and get PM certified and take my talents to another bank. I like to see my plans (and budgets) on paper and celebrate each step in the right direction - for me this means sometimes mapping things out far in advance of completing the previous goal. You know, the whole "keeping it rolling" thing.

I'm certain I'll go for the cert since I think both me and the hubsy are going to take the statistics.com classes towards an MS in analytics. Excitement ensues.
TESU Commencement - Saturday, September 23, 2017!

Goal: TESU, BSBA General Management by September 2017
68/120 credits completed
In Progress This Month
Prin of Mgmt, Org Behavior, Bus Law, Prin of Fin (DSST)

November 2016
TESU Info Session (waived app fee + free breakfast)
Previous B&M - 45 cr. transferred
March 2017
Aleks - Intermediate Alg, College Alg, Intro to Stats
Institutes - Ethics
Guardian Scholarship Awarded 3/23/17
April 2017
Study.com - Personal Finance, Digital Marketing & Advertising
May 2017
World Religions, Pr. of Marketing
MD_AJIBULU Wrote:I'm certain I'll go for the cert since I think both me and the hubsy are going to take the statistics.com classes towards an MS in analytics. Excitement ensues.
Which MS are you looking at? I'm not aware of a MS Analytics that specifically uses Statistics.com. TESU uses them for their undergrad degree, and for a stand-alone grad certificate, but the TESU MBA uses different, TESU-created analytics classes. Looking at the 4 classes of the TESU MBA analytics concentration, I'm not sure that any of them could come from Statistics.com.
dfrecore Wrote:No idea on the MBA vs. cert.

But what I did want to say was that I stopped working when my oldest was born. Haven't earned a dime since then. I am able-bodied, and CAN work, but choose not to. Because we have found that my NOT working is actually allowing my husband to be successful in his career, and difference between what he makes now is more than 4 times what he made when I quit. Meaning, it can't be accounted for in just moving up the ladder over time. He is so able to focus on his career, and not worry about what's going on at home, that he has really excelled, and I could not make enough to compensate for that.

And, BTW - every single successful salesperson that he works with has a stay-at-home wife. Many don't even have kids in the home any longer, and now their wives travel with them a ton (possibly my plan in a few years). And these guys all RAVE about how wonderful their wives are. All of them. They credit them with their success.

Just a thought, from the other side of things. I never thought going into this that my staying home would actually enable us to make MORE money than we could make as a 2-income household.

This is what happened in our household as well. It's the best of both worlds for the kids as well as my husband's career. Once I started taking care of the household and creating a supporting and peaceful environment, my husband's career took off. I miss working outside the home, but know I can eventually go back to it.
dfrecore Wrote:Oh yeah, and now that we've heard that the residency waiver is good for 1 year from date of payment, that means that you need to get moving

Hey, sorry to highjack the thread but the residency waiver is good for one year so you don't have to pay it with each degree conferred? I've heard it go back and forth on the forum. I don't mind doing the capstone again now that its only $1098 but I didn't want to pay the $1800 again. It just makes it too expensive to get a second degree at the bachelor's level when you have to pay both- might as well put that into a master's program.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
rlw74 Wrote:Hey, sorry to highjack the thread but the residency waiver is good for one year so you don't have to pay it with each degree conferred? I've heard it go back and forth on the forum. I don't mind doing the capstone again now that its only $1098 but I didn't want to pay the $1800 again. It just makes it too expensive to get a second degree at the bachelor's level when you have to pay both- might as well put that into a master's program.

TESU seems to change their mind regularly on this one. I would contact them directly, and if you don't get the answer you want, ask someone else. Not kidding, they've gone back and forth multiple times with this.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,191 03-27-2024, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 887 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,184 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,352 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,473 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,019 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  British Master’s degree for £1,950 armado 23 3,866 02-17-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  Need Input on My Amberton University Master's/HR Certification Plan Claudia P 8 572 02-13-2024, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Claudia P
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,615 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden