Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chances of getting into Columbia/NYU Psychology program
I am currently completing my BS in psychology through Excelsior. 

I was told by my advisor that if I score really well then I may have some good chances  of getting into Columbia or NYU psychology Masters program.

I am trying to do research on this online to see if this is true, but can't find any information on that. 

Do anyone of you know if it is true that some students that graduated from Excelsior got into top graduate schools?

I would greatly appreciate if any of you can please shed some light for me. 

Thank You!
You need to look at what the requirements for getting into one of these programs might be. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of anyone from Excelsior specifically getting into either school, for these specific programs, but I wouldn't be surprised either. If you check the graduate section, people have gone on to some relatively prestigious degrees after getting their undergrad at one of the Big3.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(02-20-2022, 04:37 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You need to look at what the requirements for getting into one of these programs might be. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of anyone from Excelsior specifically getting into either school, for these specific programs, but I wouldn't be surprised either. If you check the graduate section, people have gone on to some relatively prestigious degrees after getting their undergrad at one of the Big3.

Thanks Rachel!

I checked the graduate section and they don't provide information on their undergraduate programs. 

Any idea how I can find that out?
Quick Google, and here's some info about NYU: https://as.nyu.edu/content/nyu-as/as/dep...-info.html

Quote:An undergraduate psychology major is not required, but all applicants (including Non-Degree applicants) must complete both an Introductory Psychology class and a basic Statistics class (behavioral statistics preferred), with grades of B or better, prior to applying to the M.A. program.

There's also an FAQ page here: https://as.nyu.edu/psychology/graduate/p...-faqs.html

It looks like if you got Psych 101 and Stats from Sophia or another ACE source, then you might want to consider re-taking Psych through TEL Learning and Statistics from Olivet Nazarene University.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(02-20-2022, 04:31 PM)Jubilant Wrote: I am currently completing my BS in psychology through Excelsior. 

I was told by my advisor that if I score really well then I may have some good chances  of getting into Columbia or NYU psychology Masters program.

I am trying to do research on this online to see if this is true, but can't find any information on that. 

Do anyone of you know if it is true that some students that graduated from Excelsior got into top graduate schools?

I would greatly appreciate if any of you can please shed some light for me. 

Thank You!

Some programs may require a minimum amount of graded credits.

SNHU is an excellent school to go to if you are trying to get into a competitive master's program or want a high-grade point average for other reasons
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...egree_Plan

About 1/2 of their students graduate with a 3.5 GPA or better. 25% graduate with a perfect 4.0 GPA. Some people might argue well this school isn't as "rigorous" (they love to use this term) as other schools, but heck, you are only taking 10 courses with them, so what does it matter?

SNHU also has the best technology of other big 3 or other CBE schools.

If you already are paying for Excelsior courses, this may not matter to you at this point.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • neutrino
Have you looked into the cost of their programs? Researched how difficult/easy it is to get into their grad programs? I've had advisors tell me a lot of things over the years that weren't true. A 3.0 doesn't guarantee admission even if that's the minimum GPA requirement. These 2 schools aren't just about grades. They want a specific person all packaged up. Some of it is luck. Some of it is being at the right place at the right time like this woman. Around the 15:00 mark she talks about how she got in to Columbia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFhIetxNFHc

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+hard...e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+hard...nt=gws-wiz
(02-20-2022, 05:00 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Quick Google, and here's some info about NYU: https://as.nyu.edu/content/nyu-as/as/dep...-info.html

Quote:An undergraduate psychology major is not required, but all applicants (including Non-Degree applicants) must complete both an Introductory Psychology class and a basic Statistics class (behavioral statistics preferred), with grades of B or better, prior to applying to the M.A. program.

There's also an FAQ page here: https://as.nyu.edu/psychology/graduate/p...-faqs.html

It looks like if you got Psych 101 and Stats from Sophia or another ACE source, then you might want to consider re-taking Psych through TEL Learning and Statistics from Olivet Nazarene University.

Thanks Rachel for your wonderful help! You are so nice!

In regards to the bolded red text below, just to clarify on that- do you think that means that is is possible to get in to their Masters program without a bachelor degree? All you may need is to complete an Introductory Psychology class and a basic statistic class?  It doesn't make sense to me but that's basically what I am understanding from it.  

An undergraduate psychology major is not required, but all applicants (including Non-Degree applicants) must complete both an Introductory Psychology class and a basic Statistics class (behavioral statistics preferred), with grades of B or better, prior to applying to the M.A. program.
Non-degree applicants means applicants who want to take a few of the courses but who aren't interested in a full Master's degree. You need a Bachelor's degree of some kind, not necessarily psych, and those two classes regardless of whether you want the full degree or just a few grad classes.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
You can hack pretty much any test such as the ACT, SAT, LSAT, and GRE.

Basically, it involves taking a bunch of practice tests and studying the stuff you need to work on.

If you do that then you give yourself a good chance to score in the top 10%.

Some programs require a GRE score, some may say it's optional.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 346 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 10 202 03-27-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 286 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  AA degree to BS Psychology - advice needed StJackson 7 285 02-26-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 9 873 02-06-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: radicallena
  post bacc pre med program zadaea 3 459 11-20-2023, 03:13 PM
  Mature student seeks help with college credit/bypassing courses. Psychology oriented. Cyath 27 2,346 11-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Getting into a traditional PHD program after degree hacking? deuil 7 988 11-04-2023, 11:58 AM
  Psychology or Liberal Arts with Excelsior University H31d1 6 483 10-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: H31d1
  Planning RA credits from ASU for a BA in Psychology at TESU Herb191 5 376 09-04-2023, 12:09 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger