Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change in Degree
Hello everyone, maybe some of you remember me from my first post (I was clueless about so many things it's embarassing, please delete it hahah). I've been working towards a BALS Humanities since then, and I'm almost done with the 90 transferable credits. I'm 2 modules away from completing the XAMK Videogames Creation program and I've also just recieved a $1000 scholarship from NYU Tisch for an Online program (certified but no-credit apparently) which I'm very excited about and which made me start thinking about getting a different Bachelor, if it's possible.

For example, I was thinking:
TESU's BA in Art (Cheapest I believe, but.. apparently it... isn't an online degree...?) LINK --> https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/art
SNHU's BS in Game Programming and Development (Major Courses are 60 credits but I think most of the courses the XAMK Videogames certificate could replace) LINK --> https://www.snhu.edu/admission/academic-...4EUYg/none
SNHU's BA in Game Art & Development (same thing, I think the XAMK videogames courses already replace most if not all the Major Courses) LINK --> https://www.snhu.edu/admission/academic-.../VJdGCdpqx
SNHU's BA in Graphic Design & Media Arts - concentration in 3D modeling&Animation (same thing again, but I have to take 30 credits with them anyway so that doesn't change much I think?) LINK --> https://www.snhu.edu/admission/academic-.../VJGdQLNqg

So my questions are:
How much more would these cost me compared to a BALS?
Considering that I already have the Gen. Ed. courses out of the way and that, apart for TESU, where the Art courses are more "traditional", maybe the XAMK Videogames certificate could replace the Major Courses (should I ask the XAMK Course Leader?), what are the courses I should now take?
How can I get financial aid/scholarships from these schools as an International student who can't get FAFSA but who is still  v e r y  low-income?
By the way, of course, if this is all too expensive I'll just settle for the BALS and focus on my certs and, especially, on my portfolio. I just don't want to miss out on getting a more relevant degree if it's possible, so could someone please help me understand how to go about this whole process? ^^*
[-] The following 1 user Likes enantiodromia's post:
  • k-k-k-katy
TESU's Art degree definitely isn't an online one. That would be quite expensive and difficult to complete because there are no alternate credits for any of the AOS. If you're not in the US, I'm not even sure you'd be able to complete it at all.

SNHU is $320/credit. Assuming you were able to transfer in the maximum 90 credits (which may or may not be possible), you're looking at $9600 + books. On paper, it's not that much more, but the books could be killer! 10 books @ $150 each (or more) + shipping costs and an SNHU degree could easily wind up costing $12,000 or more.

Also, I don't think the XAMK courses would replace most of the coursework. IIRC, it's all LL and you need UL coursework for any degree. It's not enough if the names are similar.

But how about a TESU CS degree? With a 16-credit-term, it should work out to be a bit less than the SNHU degrees (especially once you account for the cost of textbooks!). The required courses are pretty similar to the courses required for SNHU's Game Programming & Development degree. But most of it can come from alternate sources, saving you from having to find textbooks and saving money on tuition, to boot!

There are some programmatic changes that make the CS degree a bit more difficult to obtain now, but not impossible. And still relatively cheap.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-08-2022, 07:53 PM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU's Art degree definitely isn't an online one. That would be quite expensive and difficult to complete because there are no alternate credits for any of the AOS. If you're not in the US, I'm not even sure you'd be able to complete it at all.

SNHU is $320/credit. Assuming you were able to transfer in the maximum 90 credits (which may or may not be possible), you're looking at $9600 + books. On paper, it's not that much more, but the books could be killer! 10 books @ $150 each (or more) + shipping costs and an SNHU degree could easily wind up costing $12,000 or more.

Also, I don't think the XAMK courses would replace most of the coursework. IIRC, it's all LL and you need UL coursework for any degree. It's not enough if the names are similar.

But how about a TESU CS degree? With a 16-credit-term, it should work out to be a bit less than the SNHU degrees (especially once you account for the cost of textbooks!). The required courses are pretty similar to the courses required for SNHU's Game Programming & Development degree. But most of it can come from alternate sources, saving you from having to find textbooks and saving money on tuition, to boot!

There are some programmatic changes that make the CS degree a bit more difficult to obtain now, but not impossible. And still relatively cheap.

I see, yikes. That's unfortunate, I didn't know the XAMK courses were all LL..
A CS degree doesn't sound bad at all, no. The thing is, I'm not the best at Math Blush but I think if it's worth it I can make an effort. For an undergraduate degree I believe it's already good on its own (more security than Liberal Studies I'm pretty sure) but it also wouldn't hinder me from getting into, say, a MFA, right?
I guess I can't refer to the Wiki BA sample though.. how can I understand what AOS courses I should take?

Also, I'm thinking this through again and I think that if this would only mean getting a more expensive and difficult degree, it'd be better to settle for the BALS Humanities, despite its reputation, since I'll probably apply for a MFA next anyway. It would've been nice to get a BA in an Art related field to make my application look better but I don't think I can afford SNHU's numbers..
I think most of SNHU's courses now have books included, so there may not be any extra cost there. But really, your best bet is to transfer your courses there and see what they bring them in as. If you have more than 30cr remaining, then it will probably be too costly to do.

You might want to see what other degrees are available at other schools. You might also consider a BLS degree at UMPI, and then maybe a certificate or even courses in other areas to beef up your resume.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
SNHU's Game Programming and Development degree requires Precalculus, Calculus, Linear Algebra, AND Quantitative Analysis. TESU's CS degree only requires Algebra, Discrete Math, and Calculus. StraighterLine's Calculus is structured so that you can theoretically pass it before even taking the final exam, making the exam a mere formality. I would strongly recommend taking ASU's Algebra & Precalculus courses (FREE if not taken for credit) to level up your skills: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ar...al_Learner You can then take Algebra at Sophia and Calculus at StraighterLine.

Discrete Math is a little trickier because TESU has reportedly stopped accepting it (and a few other courses) from Study.com. The wiki does have some possible alternatives, though.

For the AOS, you will need to take 15 UL credits + the capstone for a total of 18 UL credits. There are 3 UL CS courses at Study.com. The rest will need to come from TESU or elsewhere.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
If you want to avoid math, then go for an IT degree or business admin degree with a concentration in IT. 

The cheapest degree would be UMPI's BA business admin IT & project management degree which should cost $2800.

Purdue Global has an IT degree which would cost around $8400
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/PU...egree_Plan

SNHU is cheap for a U.S. student which has a full Pell Grant as it would only be $3000 per year.  SNHU will accept up to 90 credits of transfer though it's hard to map out enough credits to maximize the transfer.

btw what country are you from?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(01-08-2022, 08:20 PM)enantiodromia Wrote: Also, I'm thinking this through again and I think that if this would only mean getting a more expensive and difficult degree, it'd be better to settle for the BALS Humanities, despite its reputation, since I'll probably apply for a MFA next anyway. It would've been nice to get a BA in an Art related field to make my application look better but I don't think I can afford SNHU's numbers..

Do you know what MFA program you hope to attend? I'd recommend focusing on the portfolio and any specified prerequisites.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
I think you should skip the CS degree due to the math.

Just get any degree that will get you into the program you want (as carrythenothing says).

So, actually, looking at TESU's new catalog for the art degree at https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/.../BA-in-Art it MIGHT actually be possible to do this one online and for not that much. If you're not in the US, it'll be harder, but this seems to be the right time to get this degree.

TESU requires 15 UL credits in the AOS + the capstone for a total of 18 UL credits. For the art degree, there are 12 credits of humanities, 15 credits of art history, and 15 credits of "studio" art. It does not specify where the UL credits need to go within the AOS. My suggestion:
  • 12 UL Humanities credits, per the wiki
  • Jewish Art of Antiquity (ART-301) from Coopersmith should count as UL Art History and not as a Humanities credit
  • If these fill out your UL requirements, great! If not, you can always go back to the BALS Humanities degree
  • Optional: possibly take ART 330 Watercolor/Water Media or ART 372 Survey of American Art for about $330/credit ($990USD each). I think the first would be "studio" art and the second would be art history. 
  • OSU also has some UL art classes $318 per credit, but they're on the quarter system so you'd need 6 OSU courses to equal 4 TESU credits. That'd be $1908 to equal less credits than taking both ART 330 and ART 372 above.
  • MS State sometimes has UL art classes for $380/credit (about $1140/class). 
  • For LL art requirements, I would recommend trying Diné College. It's $55/credit and they have a number of Art History and Fine (studio) Arts classes that can be taken online: https://www.dinecollege.edu/wp-content/u...Dec-28.pdf They also have some art courses that may come in as UL.
  • NMJC is $89/credit and also has a handful of online classes. They have "digital photography" as a studio art. 
Some of your XAMK credits may count as LL art electives. I have an intro to web design class that TESU is counting as a LL art class. This XAMK course isn't free but should count as a LL art class: https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...3-ects-cr/ This one, too: https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...3-ects-cr/
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
So, you're changing your degree program from your original post here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...CCS-please  
I think completing a TESU BALS with no concentration or an Excelsior BSLA with no concentration would work for you.  

Basically - The reason is you just need those UL credits and it doesn't have to be in a particular subject matter, it can be all the "upper level" courses of what you're looking to take and what you have interest in...  You can then focus your energy/time on the Masters if you're going for one such as the mentioned MFA, I don't think you need specific requirements, but if you do, make sure to complete those part of your Bachelors...

The reason I suggest a basic bachelors degree is to get you ready for the masters and the major/concentration you want to focus on with the energy/time you save by getting a "Liberal Arts/Studies" degree. You're undecided right now and it's a perfect storm to get pulled in all directions, you really need to find the degree/school of choice and go for it as you're up to the 90 credits threshold, taking more classes now may not be beneficial unless those are to finish off the degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 4 73 27 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 592 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,164 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,902 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 199 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,149 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,301 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 171 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 930 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 543 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM