Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changes to TESU SOS-110 Course Title and Structure
I just got this email and thought I'd share it in case it is useful to anyone here:

Beginning with registration for the July 2019 term, the University will be changing the title of the SOS-110 course from Living in the Information Age to Critical Information Literacy. Please note the following in conjunction with this change:
  • The SOS-110: Critical Information Literacy course number will remain the same.
  • SOS-110 is still 3 credits and will continue to fulfill the Information Literacy general education requirement as well as other requirements as designated by your academic program.
  • SOS-110 will retain its previous focus on strengthening students' writing skills – although it now features different types of writing assignments (such as composing LinkedIn-style profiles) to fulfill this requirement.
  • SOS-110 will not require textbooks, but students will need to purchase MyFoundationLab access at a minimal fee once the course begins.
  • The course will still fulfill the SOS-110 Institutional Requirement for students enrolled in a degree program during Undergraduate Catalog year 2019A.
If you have already earned credit for SOS-110: Living in the Information Age, it will continue to fulfill the appropriate requirement for your program. You do not need to take it again under the new title. If SOS-110: Living in the Information Age is still planned on your Academic Evaluation, you will need to take SOS-110: Critical Information Literacy to fulfill that requirement. To register for this course, select the Social Science subject from the course selection dropdown. The SOS-110: Critical Information Literacy course will be available for registration beginning Friday, May 17, for the July 2019 term. 

We look forward to working closely with you to ensure your continued success and the completion of your degree. If you have questions about the SOS-110 course or need guidance in the registration process, please call (609) 777-5680 or email: All other enrolled students may email the Enrolled Student Solutions Center.

Best regards,
[Image: sig_cpunchello.jpg]
Catharine A. Punchello
Associate Vice President and University Registrar
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(05-17-2019, 03:51 PM)Merlin Wrote:
  • SOS-110 will not require textbooks, but students will need to purchase MyFoundationLab access at a minimal fee once the course begins.
Every new announcement with TESU comes with an added cost. I am not familiar with "MyFoundationLab" or what TESU considers a "minimal fee". I guess I will soon find out.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
Just got this too. For those of us that haven't taken this yet, there is really no change, we still have to take it but the syllabus has changed a bit, is that right?

I just took this class (or what seems to be the same class) at GCU in Feb and it was the worst 7 weeks of my life. Not looking forward to this one either.

Excelsior still doesn't make you take this? That's a reason right there for me to look into them. Seriously. I'm dreading this so much. Sad
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
i have really loved being enrolled at tesu and have had good experiences with them - BUUTTTT... dang, i am glad i am almost done. i don't have SOS-110 on my academic eval as a required course. so i guess i don't have to take it. i had done the TES-100 and that was a very expensive 30 mins of my life
[-] The following 1 user Likes saraholson's post:
  • badooble
TESU is really becoming a pain. I already took the 1 Credit conerstone but want to change from a BSBA in Management to a BSBA in Accounting. I get the feeling that TESU is going to make me take SOS-110. I already have fulfilled all my general electives credits with my Navy and CC credits.
The conerstone won't do anything for me and I'll basically throw $300 down the drain if TESU makes me take SOS-110.
(05-17-2019, 06:23 PM)Rustydroid Wrote: TESU is really becoming a pain. I already took the 1 Credit conerstone but want to change from a BSBA in Management to a BSBA in Accounting. I get the feeling that TESU is going to make me take SOS-110. I already have fulfilled all my general electives credits with my Navy and CC credits.
The conerstone won't do anything for me and I'll basically throw $300 down the drain if TESU makes me take SOS-110.

I really appreciate TESU, and the opportunity they gave me to finish a Bachelor and an Associate.  However, the more I read, the more I am glad that I am done there and moving on........
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

(05-17-2019, 06:23 PM)Rustydroid Wrote: TESU is really becoming a pain. I already took the 1 Credit conerstone but want to change from a BSBA in Management to a BSBA in Accounting. I get the feeling that TESU is going to make me take SOS-110. I already have fulfilled all my general electives credits with my Navy and CC credits.

If you are already enrolled, and were required to take the old cornerstone for your degree plan (prior to catalog 19A) then you are fine - this doesn't pertain to you.

Also, when changing concentrations, you're not changing catalogs, so this also won't apply.  You can just call and ask them to make the change, and they will without anything else happening.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • davewill, Rustydroid
(05-17-2019, 10:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

If you are already enrolled, and were required to take the old cornerstone for your degree plan (prior to catalog 19A) then you are fine - this doesn't pertain to you.

Also, when changing concentrations, you're not changing catalogs, so this also won't apply.  You can just call and ask them to make the change, and they will without anything else happe
I was thinking about procuring a second bachelor at TESU.  I assume that I would once again have to take a Captstone?
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

(05-18-2019, 08:46 AM)ChilliDawg Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 10:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Also, when changing concentrations, you're not changing catalogs, so this also won't apply.  You can just call and ask them to make the change, and they will without anything else happe
I was thinking about procuring a second bachelor at TESU.  I assume that I would once again have to take a Captstone?

Yes. If change schools or add a new degree from a different school you must take SOS-110. 

My story: I was pursuing a BSBA and also had a BA on my evaluation but I wasn't sure if I was going to earn it. I took TES-100. I dropped the BA from my evaluation in January 2019. Then in April 2019, I decided that I wanted to have a different but similar BA on my evaluation (again not sure if I'm actually going to earn it) they added it but it requires SOS-110. Basically sometime in April there was a rule in effect where if you change schools you will to take SOS-110. It was kind of frustrating, I was told them I previously had a BA and it didn't require SOS-110 but no luck. I do not plan on earning the BA, just the BSBA but I'm still keeping it on my evaluation for now.

Say you switch from a BSBA accounting to marketing you won't have to take SOS-110. But if you switch from or add a BSBA marketing to BA Liberal studies then you would have to take SOS-110. This also applies to associates degrees as well. If you add an associates to bachelors or vice versa you will have to take SOS-110 if the other degree is in a different school (business, liberal arts, etc.).

So basically I'm at a point where if I want to purse any business degree at TESU TES-100 will work and I'm good. But if I change my major to anything that isn't business (bachelor or associates) I must take SOS-110 and there is no way around it.

Also, lets say I graduate and then I want to earn a second degree from TESU after I graduate, I will have to take SOS-110 no matter what, even if I want to earn another business degree.

Hope this clears everything up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • ChilliDawg
(05-18-2019, 10:10 AM)natshar Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 08:46 AM)ChilliDawg Wrote: I was thinking about procuring a second bachelor at TESU.  I assume that I would once again have to take a Captstone?

Yes. If change schools or add a new degree from a different school you must take SOS-110. 

My story: I was pursuing a BSBA and also had a BA on my evaluation but I wasn't sure if I was going to earn it. I took TES-100. I dropped the BA from my evaluation in January 2019. Then in April 2019, I decided that I wanted to have a different but similar BA on my evaluation (again not sure if I'm actually going to earn it) they added it but it requires SOS-110. Basically sometime in April there was a rule in effect where if you change schools you will to take SOS-110. It was kind of frustrating, I was told them I previously had a BA and it didn't require SOS-110 but no luck. I do not plan on earning the BA, just the BSBA but I'm still keeping it on my evaluation for now.

Say you switch from a BSBA accounting to marketing you won't have to take SOS-110. But if you switch from or add a BSBA marketing to BA Liberal studies then you would have to take SOS-110. This also applies to associates degrees as well. If you add an associates to bachelors or vice versa you will have to take SOS-110 if the other degree is in a different school (business, liberal arts, etc.).

So basically I'm at a point where if I want to purse any business degree at TESU TES-100 will work and I'm good. But if I change my major to anything that isn't business (bachelor or associates) I must take SOS-110 and there is no way around it.

Also, lets say I graduate and then I want to earn a second degree from TESU after I graduate, I will have to take SOS-110 no matter what, even if I want to earn another business degree.

Hope this clears everything up.

Changing your degree (or adding one) is different than changing your concentration under the same degree.  Completely different thing.

Regarding getting a 2nd degree, that's also completely different.  I do NOT think you have to take the cornerstone when getting a 2nd degree - that would be considered a General Education course, which is waived for 2nd degrees.  For a 2nd degree, you need 24 NEW credits in the major, and 15-18cr of those must be UL (depending upon the degree) - and the capstone counts as your new credits as well as UL.  You would also have to pay for the residency waiver.

Here's info on the 2nd degree: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/award-of-degrees

Second Baccalaureate Degree
Students who have received one baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and wish to earn a second baccalaureate degree must:
  • Complete a minimum of 24 credits including the required capstone for the degree. These credits must be in the area of study and/or core of the degree. These credits must be earned after the date the most recent degree, regardless of academic level, was conferred.
  • Additionally, students must complete all other degree requirements as listed in the current Thomas Edison State University Catalog.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch