Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing School Name to University
Does the school plan in changing the name from Excelsior College to Excelsior University like TESU?
Composition Modular- 52 (3 cr)
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 52 (6 cr)
College Composition- 50 (6 cr)
As far as we know, no. They've been EC for a long time and they don't seem in any hurry to change it.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
It’s interesting that they are still a college. Generally larger schools with graduate programs are a university. Smaller schools that focus on undergrad are typically a college.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(07-04-2021, 07:46 AM)rachel83az Wrote: As far as we know, no. They've been EC for a long time and they don't seem in any hurry to change it.

Bummer. I wonder why.
Composition Modular- 52 (3 cr)
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 52 (6 cr)
College Composition- 50 (6 cr)
For a "university" that doesn't have many Master's programs and not even one PhD, I don't think so... However, having said that, it's so strange for an Ivy League school to be named a college. I mean, Dartmouth is a college vs the rest are universities... they have multiple Master's and PhD programs, yet they remain a college... now, that's interesting to say the least... <one of those things that make you say, hmm>

Anyways, my guess is that they're a "smaller" college than average with only about 6-7,000 students, and back in the day, a "college" was the best thing on the block, the term university didn't come into play and they're not in a rush to change that name. Who really knows, some people may even like the name more as a college vs a university, your guess is as good as mine. <hmm...>
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-04-2021, 07:46 AM)rachel83az Wrote: As far as we know, no. They've been EC for a long time and they don't seem in any hurry to change it.

And before that, they were called Regents College for quite a long time.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
I can never quite figure out why anyone cares about this, since there is no difference in the US between a college and a university - people use the names interchangeably, and there are no "rules" that I'm aware of between the two.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-09-2021, 09:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I can never quite figure out why anyone cares about this, since there is no difference in the US between a college and a university - people use the names interchangeably, and there are no "rules" that I'm aware of between the two.

I think it can be an issue for international students or for Americans that wish to get a job or continue their education overseas.  And even though it doesn't matter within the US, I think some people think University sounds more prestigious.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamshid666's post:
  • rachel83az
Charter Oak also has grad degrees now, and I doubt they'll change any time soon either.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(07-09-2021, 09:37 PM)jamshid666 Wrote:
(07-09-2021, 09:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I can never quite figure out why anyone cares about this, since there is no difference in the US between a college and a university - people use the names interchangeably, and there are no "rules" that I'm aware of between the two.

I think it can be an issue for international students or for Americans that wish to get a job or continue their education overseas.  And even though it doesn't matter within the US, I think some people think University sounds more prestigious.
In my experience, ‘college’ vs ‘university’ does make a difference in Japan. May be that is also the case with some other countries. In late 2019, I took up a consulting engagement in Japan. I had just graduated from TESU. The Japanese lawyer who was liaising with me to process my visa asked very specifically if my transcript/diploma expressly stated the term ‘University.’ Apparently, if it stated ‘College’ or ‘Academy’, they like to do some additional background checks, and the visa process tends to be longer.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 2 users Like Supermind's post:
  • ISKBizz15, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,401 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,371 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,308 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  Excelsior University BS in Business - General/Need Help NewStudent101 5 1,475 03-10-2023, 07:10 PM
  Excelsior University UL SDC credit not counted frank11 10 2,338 12-19-2022, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TheVilified
  Excelsior College to become Excelsior University TwinMom 11 2,852 07-14-2022, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Insert Name