Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Charter Oak Public Safety Administration AOS
Hi all! I have decided on getting a degree in Public Safety Admin from Charter Oak, can anyone help me with finding alternative options for the AOS? Below are the requirements, I am aware that the capstone can not be tested out of, and that a good chunk of the credits need to be upper level. Thank You!
PSA 305: Ethics in Public Safety Administration      
3cr     
PSA 315: Public Safety Community Delivery Systems
3cr
PSA 330: Cultural Diversity in Public Safety Administration
3cr
PSA 335: group Dynamics in Public Safety Administration
3cr
PSA 355: Human Resources in Public Safety Administration
3cr
PSA 360: America's Homeland Security
3cr
PSA 410: Political & Legal Systems in Public Safety Administration
3cr
PSA 425: Counteracting Terrorism
3cr
PSA 440: Research Methodology in Public Safety Administration
3cr
PSA 445: Strategic Planning in Public Safety Administration
3cr
PSA 465: Global Perspectives in Emergency Management
3cr
PSA 495: Public Safety Administration Major Capstone
I have a 1500+ line Excel spreadsheet and not a single thing for Public Safety. I don't think you'll be able to get these through alternative means; your best hope is a CC or a cheaper school with these courses (cheaper than COSC's $408/cr). You might end up finding a school with a PSA degree that's cheaper, take your major courses there (if they'll let you), and then transfer the courses to COSC when you're done.

The other thing to consider: getting an inexpensive BALS degree, and then getting your masters in Public Safety. Sometimes, it can be cheaper/easier/faster to do that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-25-2019, 10:20 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I have a 1500+ line Excel spreadsheet and not a single thing for Public Safety.  I don't think you'll be able to get these through alternative means; your best hope is a CC or a cheaper school with these courses (cheaper than COSC's $408/cr).  You might end up finding a school with a PSA degree that's cheaper, take your major courses there (if they'll let you), and then transfer the courses to COSC when you're done.

The other thing to consider: getting an inexpensive BALS degree, and then getting your masters in Public Safety.  Sometimes, it can be cheaper/easier/faster to do that.

Thank You, that might be the better option.
Do a search.  I think Sanantone who is up on CJ degrees once said the COSC one is too unique (i.e., NO real way to test out)?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(01-25-2019, 08:39 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Do a search.  I think Sanantone who is up on CJ degrees once said the COSC one is too unique (i.e., NO real way to test out)?

OK thank you, maybe TESU or Excelsior will have something similar. I'll have to check on that, I was hoping to avoid TESU if I could but they might be my better option.
(01-26-2019, 12:10 AM)ldaw89 Wrote:
(01-25-2019, 08:39 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Do a search.  I think Sanantone who is up on CJ degrees once said the COSC one is too unique (i.e., NO real way to test out)?

OK thank you, maybe TESU or Excelsior will have something similar. I'll have to check on that, I was hoping to avoid TESU if I could but they might be my better option.

TESU doesn't have that degree at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
There aren't a lot of people who are specifically looking for a public safety degree. I'm going to assume that there are other degrees that will be suitable for the OP. COSC, Excelsior, and TESU have criminal justice degrees. TESU has a homeland security and emergency preparedness degree. Excelsior has a homeland security and emergency management degree. Excelsior also has national security programs.

Public safety degrees aren't common, and they aren't exactly in demand because hardly anyone is aware of them.

If you want an actual safety degree, then that's going to be more science and less public service. The Big 3 don't offer an environmental and health or occupational safety degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(01-26-2019, 12:42 AM)sanantone Wrote: There aren't a lot of people who are specifically looking for a public safety degree. I'm going to assume that there are other degrees that will be suitable for the OP. COSC, Excelsior, and TESU have criminal justice degrees. TESU has a homeland security and emergency preparedness degree. Excelsior has a homeland security and emergency management degree. Excelsior also has national security programs.

Public safety degrees aren't common, and they aren't exactly in demand because hardly anyone is aware of them.

If you want an actual safety degree, then that's going to be more science and less public service. The Big 3 don't offer an environmental and health or occupational safety degree.

Thank you for the info, I will look into the requirements for TESU's Homeland Security Degree

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades Jonathan Whatley 44 5,655 06-28-2022, 01:58 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Charter Oak - Statistics rachel83az 0 953 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Charter Oak Application Time Table nilahti2 3 1,600 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM
  Physics Concentration at Charter Oak State College sciencemathematics1 19 3,395 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: conflitz
  Charter Oak Grad Credit for Undergrad? Clepper43 3 1,292 07-17-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Does Charter Oak still accept ALEKS? Gooberman11 1 1,155 07-16-2020, 02:18 PM
  Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 Glen1 18 3,935 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Last Post: shaas
  Charter Oaks CyberSecurity indigoshuffle 7 1,718 04-28-2020, 03:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Charter Oaks Computer Science Credits Shyjbh 1 1,123 04-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Business Statistics for Charter Oak? Clepper43 3 1,057 04-21-2020, 11:06 PM