Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak / Straighterline / Grades
Inside a different thread I mentioned that I was trying something to see if it worked- and I want to post the results.

Straighterline and Studycom courses sent directly from SL or SDC will come into Charter Oak with a grade. If you place them on an ACE transcript first and send them to COSC, they come in as pass/fail.

Using my son's account, I sent his ACE transcript to COSC and had it evaluated. Separately, I selected some SL courses with letter grades and had that transcript sent to COSC. My goal/question was to see if I could get his A/B grades on his transcript but leave his C grades as "pass."

Their reply was as follows:
<<< Thank you for your email. When you applied to the college you sent in an ACE transcript for evaluation. We transferred all the Straighterline courses recommended for credit from that transcript. Because ACE does not indicate letter grades, all SL courses were recorded with a grade of ‘P’. At this time, if you wish, you may have a comprehensive Straighterline transcript sent to us; the one received recently is incomplete. Once the comprehensive transcript arrives we will convert all SL courses to the actual letter grades you earned. Alternately, you can leave the evaluation as is; showing a letter grade of ‘P’ as reflected on the ACE transcript. Charter Oak State College does not allow students to pick/choose or mix/match transcripts to show some letter grades and not others. We will evaluate one transcript: the ACE transcript or the SL transcript. I have discussed this with our Registrar and she confirmed this. Please let us know which transcript you would like us to evaluate. >>>

So, my son has ONE class through SL that was not on his ACE transcript, so I sent that one separately. They allowed that grade to come over.

So- here's the deal, if you think you want to control how all of this is eventually entered on a transcript at COSC, you can send anything you DONT want to have a grade directly to ACE and then to COSC, and the graded credits go directly to COSC from Study/SL. Once everything is entered on the COSC transcript, be sure to go back and THEN send the rest of your Study/SL courses over to your ACE transcript so they aren't lost or in the event that you might need to transfer them somewhere else.

This was a good experiment and added a lot to my understanding about how COSC accepts transfer credit.
I like your write up, I might be sending a good bit of my credits to COSC to see what they give me for an evaluation. The fact they count Straighter line and others for a grade make me happy.
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
That is really very helpful, thank you so much. How do you know what letter grade you might get at COSC before sending it over?
(12-14-2018, 05:51 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: That is really very helpful, thank you so much. How do you know what letter grade you might get at COSC before sending it over?

Wouldn't it be based on the %?  So if you got an 87% in the course, that would be a B (or B+ depending on the school).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
For SL, you would get a letter grade without the +/-, based on your quiz scores and final exam score. https://www.straighterline.com/help-cent...s/grading/

For Study.com, sometimes there are also assignments that factor in. "You can find your specific course grading policy on the Syllabus page on the Course Overview."

Here is the COSC grading scale: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...policy.php
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
(12-14-2018, 05:51 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: That is really very helpful, thank you so much. How do you know what letter grade you might get at COSC before sending it over?

they use the grade ISSUED by SL or Study- they don't remake the grade.

In the class my son used (Business Stats via SL) it was a traditional 90-100 A, -80 B, -70 C etc.
I'm unsure if *all* Straighterline or Study courses use that grade scale, but it should be viewable in advance. But the letter grade came from Straighterline, COSC just records it.

EDIT to add: for Topdog's link, that is only for courses you take with Charter Oak- that doesn't apply to transfer credit.
*** I want everybody to know that if you request a transcript from ACE for grades from Study.com, Charter Oak will enter those grades as 'P' in your Advising Worksheet. It happened to me today. I had 4 classes that I got 'A's for and instead of helping my GPA, they simply count as fulfilling a course objective and not toward the GPA! Bummer. My grades from Davar Academy and Straighterline came in as letter grades. Study.com is the easiest of the 3 when it comes to completing LL (lower level) courses, for sure.***

I'm going to request a Study.com transcript directly to be sent to Charter Oak and hope that has some effect on getting those 'P's turned into 'A's. I'll keep you all advised!
I'm surprised by this. I did EXACTLY what you were attempting to do: I had transferred all my Straighterline stuff in through ACE. At a later time, at the suggestion of somebody on the board, I cherry-picked the higher grade courses on Straighterline's transcript request and ordered them sent over to COSC directly from SL. Without a word of acknowledgement, COSC eventually updated my Advising worksheet to reflect the letter grades on the cherry-picked courses. The letter grades do appear on my unofficial AND official transcript

BUT notably, they are not calculated toward my career GPA. Attached are images of my unofficial and official transcript for example. 

I can only conclude they must have changed their policy since I graduated (Dec. 31, 2018.)

[Image: Screen-Shot-2019-03-12-at-2-22-58-PM.png]
[Image: Screen-Shot-2019-03-12-at-2-24-39-PM.png]
(03-12-2019, 01:29 PM)vpassenheim Wrote: *** I want everybody to know that if you request a transcript from ACE for grades from Study.com, Charter Oak will enter those grades as 'P' in your Advising Worksheet. It happened to me today. I had 4 classes that I got 'A's for and instead of helping my GPA, they simply count as fulfilling a course objective and not toward the GPA! Bummer. My grades from Davar Academy and Straighterline came in as letter grades. Study.com is the easiest of the 3 when it comes to completing LL (lower level) courses, for sure.***

I'm going to request a Study.com transcript directly to be sent to Charter Oak and hope that has some effect on getting those 'P's turned into 'A's. I'll keep you all advised!

Yes, this is standard at every college that accepts ACE. In order to get grades, it has to come from Study.com directly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades Jonathan Whatley 44 5,655 06-28-2022, 01:58 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Charter Oak - Statistics rachel83az 0 953 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Update on StraighterLine/ACE credits at COSC sambam0812 0 1,167 09-28-2020, 07:52 AM
Last Post: sambam0812
  Charter Oak Application Time Table nilahti2 3 1,600 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM
  Physics Concentration at Charter Oak State College sciencemathematics1 19 3,395 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: conflitz
  Charter Oak Grad Credit for Undergrad? Clepper43 3 1,292 07-17-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Does Charter Oak still accept ALEKS? Gooberman11 1 1,155 07-16-2020, 02:18 PM
  Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 Glen1 18 3,935 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Last Post: shaas
  Charter Oaks CyberSecurity indigoshuffle 7 1,718 04-28-2020, 03:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Charter Oaks Computer Science Credits Shyjbh 1 1,123 04-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Last Post: natshar