Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak / Straighterline / Grades
(03-12-2019, 04:34 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 01:29 PM)vpassenheim Wrote: *** I want everybody to know that if you request a transcript from ACE for grades from Study.com, Charter Oak will enter those grades as 'P' in your Advising Worksheet. It happened to me today. I had 4 classes that I got 'A's for and instead of helping my GPA, they simply count as fulfilling a course objective and not toward the GPA! Bummer. My grades from Davar Academy and Straighterline came in as letter grades. Study.com is the easiest of the 3 when it comes to completing LL (lower level) courses, for sure.***

I'm going to request a Study.com transcript directly to be sent to Charter Oak and hope that has some effect on getting those 'P's turned into 'A's. I'll keep you all advised!

Yes, this is standard at every college that accepts ACE.  In order to get grades, it has to come from Study.com directly.

Jennifer,

Well, this just got more interesting, because I did send my official transcript from Study.com to COSC, and they're being difficult with regards to assigning a letter grade from that transcript. I would expect that from some non-critically thinking government functionary, but not an "institute of higher learning". I'm attaching the email I sent to my academic counselor, which includes your post from 12/14/18.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for checking, but that seems quite the cop-out answer, since the ONLY reason Study.com doesn't include grades on their transcripts is that they allow the receiving institution to designate the the letter grade based on the given percentage score, which Study.com does provide, and how that score aligns with that school's grading scale policy. Not all schools have the standard A = 90 - 100, B = 80 - 89, etc. grading scale. It is for that reason that Study.com doesn't list the grade, but they DO list the "grade" as a final percentage score very clearly on the transcript.... Victor got a 91% in Management Information Systems, etc. Charter Oak knows what a 91% is....

Also, I have the following information from another Charter Oak student, that actually contradicts that current information from the registrar's office, with the registrar's office own words (found here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Charter-Oak-Straighterline-Grades?highlight=study.com+transcript):

[YOUR POST FROM 12-14-18 INSERTED HERE]

As you can see, that was from just 4 months ago. This was also the reason that I sent a "comprehensive transcript" from Study.com, as the above communication seems to give equal treatment to both providers with regards to grades.

If Charter Oak is going to treat all transfer credits from Study.com in a different manner now, then the very least responsible thing to do is to warn prospective students that that is their policy, and that was never done! Also, the message from Charter Oak has been inconsistent on this, even while the affiliation between Study.com and Charter Oak has been a "selling" point to prospective students by both parties. Now the message is "You can use Study.com, but it most certainly won't help your GPA!"

Again, I feel somewhat robbed by this experience. My Straighterline courses DID come through for grades, so it does confirm what Jennifer was told in the exchange above. 6 courses (5 with As already in, and a potential 6th) are 18 total credits which would have some positive impact on my GPA (I haven't done the math yet, but along with the Capstone would likely push me to a 3.6 - it's competitive out there, and it's a matter of pride in one's work).

We deserve consistency. If you feel that it would be better for me to take this up personally with the registrar's office, then I am happy to do so. I just can't believe that's the response they gave. It's cold and uncaring to see a percentage grade score and then dismiss it with a "P", when you very well know how those scores align to your own grades policy. If you're implying that a 91% at Study.com isn't the same as a 91% at Charter Oak, then you need to be open and clear about that also.

I really look forward to your input on this. Once again, thank you.

Best regards,

Victor
I think there may be a minor disconnect here. FYI, for most schools (and I think this applies to COSC as well) graded credits transferred from other schools or course providers do not impact your institutional GPA. To clarify, the institutional GPA only represents courses taken from the school directly.

That is to say, the college will show letter grades on your transcript for courses transferred from other colleges (including places like SL and Study.com) and those grades can be used to demonstrate X number of graded credits taken overall, but they are ignored when calculating your GPA (institutional GPA). Many schools will calculate your transfer GPA, which is the GPA of courses transferred to the college from elsewhere. However, at most schools, the transfer GPA is only used to determine if you qualify to admission or entry to a specific program.

Some schools may also calculate an overall GPA, which includes both institutional GPA and transfer GPA. However, the transfer GPA and/or overall GPA are generally not included on the graduate's final transcript.

I don't know if the issue here is that you're thinking that the transfer GPA from SDC should impact your institutional GPA at COSC or not, but that is what it sounds like. If so, this may help clarify things a bit.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
COSC calculates a career GPA on the evaluation, which includes all transfer courses. I don't know if this is put on a COSC transcript.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(04-09-2019, 02:50 PM)vpassenheim Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 04:34 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 01:29 PM)vpassenheim Wrote: *** I want everybody to know that if you request a transcript from ACE for grades from Study.com, Charter Oak will enter those grades as 'P' in your Advising Worksheet. It happened to me today. I had 4 classes that I got 'A's for and instead of helping my GPA, they simply count as fulfilling a course objective and not toward the GPA! Bummer. My grades from Davar Academy and Straighterline came in as letter grades. Study.com is the easiest of the 3 when it comes to completing LL (lower level) courses, for sure.***

I'm going to request a Study.com transcript directly to be sent to Charter Oak and hope that has some effect on getting those 'P's turned into 'A's. I'll keep you all advised!

Yes, this is standard at every college that accepts ACE.  In order to get grades, it has to come from Study.com directly.

Jennifer,

Well, this just got more interesting, because I did send my official transcript from Study.com to COSC, and they're being difficult with regards to assigning a letter grade from that transcript. I would expect that from some non-critically thinking government functionary, but not an "institute of higher learning". I'm attaching the email I sent to my academic counselor, which includes your post from 12/14/18.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for checking, but that seems quite the cop-out answer, since the ONLY reason Study.com doesn't include grades on their transcripts is that they allow the receiving institution to designate the the letter grade based on the given percentage score, which Study.com does provide, and how that score aligns with that school's grading scale policy. Not all schools have the standard A = 90 - 100, B = 80 - 89, etc. grading scale. It is for that reason that Study.com doesn't list the grade, but they DO list the "grade" as a final percentage score very clearly on the transcript.... Victor got a 91% in Management Information Systems, etc. Charter Oak knows what a 91% is....

Also, I have the following information from another Charter Oak student, that actually contradicts that current information from the registrar's office, with the registrar's office own words (found here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Charter-Oak-Straighterline-Grades?highlight=study.com+transcript):

[YOUR POST FROM 12-14-18 INSERTED HERE]

As you can see, that was from just 4 months ago. This was also the reason that I sent a "comprehensive transcript" from Study.com, as the above communication seems to give equal treatment to both providers with regards to grades.

If Charter Oak is going to treat all transfer credits from Study.com in a different manner now, then the very least responsible thing to do is to warn prospective students that that is their policy, and that was never done! Also, the message from Charter Oak has been inconsistent on this, even while the affiliation between Study.com and Charter Oak has been a "selling" point to prospective students by both parties. Now the message is "You can use Study.com, but it most certainly won't help your GPA!"

Again, I feel somewhat robbed by this experience. My Straighterline courses DID come through for grades, so it does confirm what Jennifer was told in the exchange above. 6 courses (5 with As already in, and a potential 6th) are 18 total credits which would have some positive impact on my GPA (I haven't done the math yet, but along with the Capstone would likely push me to a 3.6 - it's competitive out there, and it's a matter of pride in one's work).

We deserve consistency. If you feel that it would be better for me to take this up personally with the registrar's office, then I am happy to do so. I just can't believe that's the response they gave. It's cold and uncaring to see a percentage grade score and then dismiss it with a "P", when you very well know how those scores align to your own grades policy. If you're implying that a 91% at Study.com isn't the same as a 91% at Charter Oak, then you need to be open and clear about that also.

I really look forward to your input on this. Once again, thank you.

Best regards,

Victor

If you send transcripts from Study.com or SL directly to COSC (not through ACE), then COSC gives a letter grade to it.

BUT, if you send the transcripts from ACE, then you get a "P."  This has been explained time and again.  ACE does not give COSC a score, they only send through a transcript saying that you passed.

And if you sent an ACE transcript to COSC and THEN try to send the transcript, it's too late, they've already credited the course to you from ACE and they won't change it.

This was explained on a separate thread from Jennifer, but obviously it wasn't looked at before the ACE transcript was sent.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-09-2019, 05:17 PM)sanantone Wrote: COSC calculates a career GPA on the evaluation, which includes all transfer courses. I don't know if this is put on a COSC transcript.

When I first started working on earning my degree (back in 2010-2011), I was planning to graduate from COSC. Back then they only awarded letter grades for Straighterline courses. They did calculate a GPA for those courses (which I needed to qualify to enter) but the GPA was only used during the admissions process. The letter grades from my SL courses did appear on my unofficial transcript, just like they did for my transferred college courses, but a GPA for those transfer courses did not.

I don't know if that has changed in the last 8-9 years, but I assume not.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Not sure how all this has played out / is playing out, but my son has rec'd letter grades for his courses that have been sent directly to COSC. His courses that first appeared on an ACE transcript and then were sent to COSC came in as pass/fail.
It's not especially complicated, but it would be helpful to everyone if you included Karen's portion of the email too.
(04-09-2019, 05:30 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you send transcripts from Study.com or SL directly to COSC (not through ACE), then COSC gives a letter grade to it.

BUT, if you send the transcripts from ACE, then you get a "P."  This has been explained time and again.  ACE does not give COSC a score, they only send through a transcript saying that you passed.

And if you sent an ACE transcript to COSC and THEN try to send the transcript, it's too late, they've already credited the course to you from ACE and they won't change it.

This was explained on a separate thread from Jennifer, but obviously it wasn't looked at before the ACE transcript was sent.

A couple of weeks ago I submitted a Straighterline transcript to COSC after the credit was already applied through an ACE transcript and they changed it from a P to an A without question. Not sure what other people experienced but that is what happened to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ztkerls's post:
  • cookderosa
(12-14-2018, 11:07 AM)cookderosa Wrote: ... At this time, if you wish, you may have a comprehensive Straighterline transcript sent to us; the one received recently is incomplete.  Once the comprehensive transcript arrives we will convert all SL courses to the actual letter grades you earned.  Alternately, you can leave the evaluation as is; showing a letter grade of ‘P’ as reflected on the ACE transcript.  Charter Oak State College does not allow students to pick/choose or mix/match transcripts to show some letter grades and not others.  We will evaluate one transcript: the ACE transcript or the SL transcript.  I have discussed this with our Registrar and she confirmed this.  Please let us know which transcript you would like us to evaluate...

The original post stated that COSC will allow SL transcripts to be sent later and "P" grades to be replaced with letter grades. They were not allowing the cherry picking of certain courses to replace with others left as "P".
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
I just had this issue as well. I'm sending all my grades directly from the point of origin (Straighterline, Study.com and Sophia). COSC stated their policy is to show a P or F on the transcript if the transcript sent to them shows a numeric grade (Study.com and Sophia) and those that send a letter grade (Straighterline will show as the letter grade.

Here's the response from COSC.

Hi,

Study.com and Sophia do not post letter grades on their transcripts that are sent to us; they only indicate a final numerical grade that is above or below the ACE threshold for passing.  We do have partnerships with some similar course providers (Straighterline) that have comprehensive grading scales which include a letter grades; those we do transcript. Neither Sophia nor Study.com have comprehensive grading scales that allow COSC to transfer letter grades for their courses. As a result, the grades are transferred as just passing (P).
[-] The following 1 user Likes GreggT67's post:
  • topdog98
I’m not really sure why there big focus on getting these classes onto a COSC transcript with a letter grade. That will not help your COSC GPA in any way. COSC GPA is calculated from taking COSC classes. If you only take the Cornerstone and Capstone courses then those are the only courses that will affect your GPA. Transfer credit grades do not help or hurt your COSC GPA. I know this from experience and it’s clearly stated in the college’s catalog: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ns/gpa.php

If you’re doing it for grad school, “You must have X GPA for your last X graded courses”, you run into the same issues that schools have with the credit banks: they will want to look at and evaluate the transfer credit from the source, not just take COSC’s word for it. They will then make a decision on whether it counts as a letter grade or is P/F.

Maybe you might impress an employer or something, but I don’t see how this helps or hinders academically. If it doesn’t change your institutional or career GPA, and grad schools may not accept the letter grade COSC issues then why bother? Am I missing something here? Why is this a big deal for people? This is a genuine, not rhetorical question, because I feel like I’m missing something here.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades Jonathan Whatley 44 5,655 06-28-2022, 01:58 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Charter Oak - Statistics rachel83az 0 953 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Update on StraighterLine/ACE credits at COSC sambam0812 0 1,167 09-28-2020, 07:52 AM
Last Post: sambam0812
  Charter Oak Application Time Table nilahti2 3 1,600 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM
  Physics Concentration at Charter Oak State College sciencemathematics1 19 3,395 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: conflitz
  Charter Oak Grad Credit for Undergrad? Clepper43 3 1,292 07-17-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Does Charter Oak still accept ALEKS? Gooberman11 1 1,155 07-16-2020, 02:18 PM
  Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 Glen1 18 3,935 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Last Post: shaas
  Charter Oaks CyberSecurity indigoshuffle 7 1,718 04-28-2020, 03:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Charter Oaks Computer Science Credits Shyjbh 1 1,123 04-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Last Post: natshar