Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak admission needs 9 College Credits, TESC needs HS Diploma
TESC is cheap for associate degree, but needs high school diploma. Chater Oak does not require it, but is expensive. I am adult in foreign country, with a lot of high school courses from US online. But I am needing 7 high school credits for high school diploma. I am not like you guys, who are test-smart and sharp and can ace a CLEP half drunk. I will have to work hard to get associates degree. So that is my goal for now.

In a foreign land we cannot take DSST or CLEP because there are no testing sites. I will start with Sayor biology and chemistry and intro computer science, or TEEX, and then Straighterline.

I have five ALEKS math on ACE transcript. These will get me into Charter Oak, but associate is lot more expensive than TESC. Like $3,500, and TESC is less than $1,000.

I can do online high school -- Excell High in Minnesota, nice accrediting -- in about 6 months for less than $600 including books (all online) and proctor fees. Everything. But I think the online high school English 11 and 12 will be kind of like SL College Composition I and II SL will be harder, but lot of overlap. Also high school Biology and Chemistry will overlap Saylor a lot.

GED will require a flight and expenses in city to take the test, plus test cost, not cheap. Also need to learn US history and review other stuff. Will take time.

I really want TESC, but hate doing the high school.

Any ideas?
open course option at TESC
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015
Have you got a secondary school diploma from your home country? If so, you should be fine. Below are the criteria for international students to apply, and they make no mention of international students needing a US high school diploma.
Thomas Edison State College: Apply as an International Student
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Trust me, I studied hard for each and every of the 13 tests I took, no half-drunk for me Smile

aeilion Wrote:TESC is cheap for associate degree, but needs high school diploma. Chater Oak does not require it, but is expensive. I am adult in foreign country, with a lot of high school courses from US online. But I am needing 7 high school credits for high school diploma. I am not like you guys, who are test-smart and sharp and can ace a CLEP half drunk. I will have to work hard to get associates degree. So that is my goal for now.

In a foreign land we cannot take DSST or CLEP because there are no testing sites. I will start with Sayor biology and chemistry and intro computer science, or TEEX, and then Straighterline.

I have five ALEKS math on ACE transcript. These will get me into Charter Oak, but associate is lot more expensive than TESC. Like $3,500, and TESC is less than $1,000.

I can do online high school -- Excell High in Minnesota, nice accrediting -- in about 6 months for less than $600 including books (all online) and proctor fees. Everything. But I think the online high school English 11 and 12 will be kind of like SL College Composition I and II SL will be harder, but lot of overlap. Also high school Biology and Chemistry will overlap Saylor a lot.

GED will require a flight and expenses in city to take the test, plus test cost, not cheap. Also need to learn US history and review other stuff. Will take time.

I really want TESC, but hate doing the high school.

Any ideas?
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Denise, I was thinking the exact same thing. And while part of me was extremely offended by that comment, since I don't drink, I read it again and decided it was some sort of back-handed compliment. Attributing it to the "Lost in Translation" files....
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
I would contact TESC and see if they really need a high school diploma, if you are an adult. My guess is, you could get that waived. Can't hurt to ask!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
No, no high school other than online from US.

Thanks for suggestion about contacting TESC and other suggestions. What I plan to do is what I learned on DegreeForum -- complete all work before applying to TESC, taking only cornerstone.

About my saying this:

Quote:I am not like you guys, who are test-smart and sharp and can ace a CLEP half drunk.

It was I now think bad humor, and my English is not good enough or culture understanding. I guess smile emoticon would have been good.

Quote:And while part of me was extremely offended by that comment, since I don't drink, I read it again and decided it was some sort of back-handed compliment. Attributing it to the "Lost in Translation" files....

However, the truth be that I am in absolute awe when I read with deep envy about members here getting something like 60 credit in something like two months.

I would be in heaven if someone told me truthfully that I were smart enough and skilled enough to ace a CLEP half drunk. Smile It would be the ultimate complement, no backhand. But unfortunately, my mental skills and abilities are such that I will need all my brain cells working without impairment. Sad

Again, my apologies.
No worries and welcome to the forum. As said above, try emailing TESC to see if you could get a waiver for admission. It looks like it's possible. Smile
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
linh Wrote:However, the truth be that I am in absolute awe when I read with deep envy about members here getting something like 60 credit in something like two months.
Lol, you'd find that there are many here who are just like you. 12 credits in 2 months is stressful but doable for me. But 60 credits?! O.o Don't worry if you ain't a speed tester. We eat the elephant one bite at a time. Smile

Quote:No, no high school other than online from US.
I'm not quite sure what you mean here... have you done no other high school courses except those online from US? Or that TESC will not accept your foreign high school diploma?
linh Wrote:I would be in heaven if someone told me truthfully that I were smart enough and skilled enough to ace a CLEP half drunk. Smile It would be the ultimate complement, no backhand. But unfortunately, my mental skills and abilities are such that I will need all my brain cells working without impairment. Sad

Since English appears to be a second language for you I'm impressed that you've completed U.S. high school courses and want to continue on to get a degree here. To me that is an indicator of good mental skills and abilities.
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 967 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,281 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,649 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 178 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 567 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 414 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 285 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 579 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 173 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 189 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP