Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak credit banking vs Excelsior credit banking
Hi all,
Does anyone know the pros and cons of each credit banking service?  I just need my NYPD academy credits which have been evaluated by NCCRS to be put on a college transcript and sent to my current place of employment.  I will take the cheapest service possible as long as they put my academy credits on a transcript.  I get a salary increase with 30 credits more and the NYPD academy credits are evaluated by NCCRS to total 36 credits.

Thanks all,
Mike
I don't think you have to "credit bank" at any of the Big 3 schools - you just need to send your NCCRS/NYPD transcript to the school, and they will put it on a school transcript, when you can then request and have sent to your workplace.

At least, that's my understanding.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-18-2018, 11:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't think you have to "credit bank" at any of the Big 3 schools - you just need to send your NCCRS/NYPD transcript to the school, and they will put it on a school transcript, when you can then request and have sent to your workplace.

At least, that's my understanding.

I thought that's what a credit bank is. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what credit banking is for.
That is what credit banking is, but for unenrolled students. If you're not enrolled they won't generate a transcript unless you credit bank.

I don't know much about the process, but TESU also offers it for $300 up to 60 credirs, $400 for if you have over 60.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I thought Credit Banking was having them hold it, and paying for the privilege. But if you just apply at TESU, for $75, aren't you just able to get a transcript at that point (25 business days later)? I'm not sure what the $300 is for exactly.

EC and COSC charge per-term fees, so it wouldn't work there.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
i don't think TESU will issue you a transcript if you haven't completed a course (or a degree if you transferred 100% when that was allowed) beforehand. Pretty sure that's the point of credit banking; non-students can generate a transcript. maybe i've misunderstood this whole time.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • davewill, rachel83az
(03-19-2018, 05:22 PM)jsd Wrote: i don't think TESU will issue you a transcript if you haven't completed a course (or a degree if you transferred 100% when that was allowed) beforehand. Pretty sure that's the point of credit banking; non-students can generate a transcript. maybe i've misunderstood this whole time.

I think you probably have to become an enrolled student. Could be just a TECEP. Then they will generate transcripts. 

Anyway, the OP wants them on a transcript for his employer to consider them college credit. Any of the Big3 credit banking should be good for that, or you can get enrolled at TESU (cheaper, but you actually have to take a TECEP).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • rachel83az
Looks like COSC is $799 for a year (yikes!).

EC is $270 for their OneTranscript program

TESU charges $300/$400 for their Individual Learning Account. Or you can apply ($75), send your NCCRS transcript, take a TECEP exam (pick an easy one) for $117, and then get a transcript.
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • acamp, Life Long Learning, rachel83az
I haven't looked into credit banking for a LONG time, but back when I first started this journey, credit banking wasn't an OFFICIAL transcript - it was literally just a printout (thus a complete waste of money).

That might not be the case anymore, but I think it's worth a call to the big 3 and see exactly what you're paying for. While you wait, try sending your NCCRS transcript directly to your employer. If they take that, problem solved. If not, I think you bring up a good question, and it's worth figuring out how to do this the cheapest most efficient way to generate an OFFICIAL transcript.
(03-20-2018, 08:47 AM)cookderosa Wrote: I haven't looked into credit banking for a LONG time, but back when I first started this journey, credit banking wasn't an OFFICIAL transcript - it was literally just a printout (thus a complete waste of money).

That might not be the case anymore, but I think it's worth a call to the big 3 and see exactly what you're paying for.  While you wait, try sending your NCCRS transcript directly to your employer.  If they take that, problem solved.  If not,  I think you bring up a good question, and it's worth figuring out how to do this the cheapest most efficient way to generate an OFFICIAL transcript.

NCCRS does NOT issue transcripts (http://www.nationalccrs.org/students/ste...fer-credit)

(03-18-2018, 03:28 PM)mdel210201 Wrote: Hi all,
Does anyone know the pros and cons of each credit banking service?  I just need my NYPD academy credits which have been evaluated by NCCRS to be put on a college transcript and sent to my current place of employment.  I will take the cheapest service possible as long as they put my academy credits on a transcript.  I get a salary increase with 30 credits more and the NYPD academy credits are evaluated by NCCRS to total 36 credits.

Thanks all,
Mike

Do you have any existing traditional college credits?

Edit: Why don't you just apply to one of the NY community colleges (likely free) and transfer your credits into them.  According to the NCCRS website pretty much all the NY state community college except NCCRS credits.  Now they may not fit a program, but they should accept them (as electives) and add them to your (new) NY CC transcript.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,857 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,460 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,087 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,070 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,935 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,670 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,005 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,820 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,157 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor