Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak struggles as well, not just Excelsior
I was on the forum reading a previous post about Excelsior and thought about Charter oak as well, seems they have similar struggles.

Have a read here, last year: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017...ate-system

And their update last week: https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-l...e-learning

I feel many other colleges/universities are having "issues" and some closing B&M campuses to focus solely on their online offerings - like Ashford, others are being bought out (Apollo Education Group), some large players being shut down (ITT Tech), and so on. 

No school is immune to changes in the environmental landscape of education, so for me, I look at what's accredited, affordable, attainable, such as going for TESU undergrad and WGU graduate degrees in Business/Management.
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lewis.Yim's post:
  • Life Long Learning
ITT Tech didn't shut down because it was struggling. They shut down because the federal government disqualified it from receiving financial aid after they were found to be scamming students.

Ashford University was bought out many years ago by a for-profit company. Once it was bought out, the campus was never a focus. The marketing was almost entirely directed toward online students. Ashford also had accreditation issues because it was based in Iowa, but most of their operations were in California. HLC saw this as a problem and threatened to pull their accreditation, so Ashford moved its headquarters to California to be accredited by WASC. Therefore, their Iowa campus became even less of a focus.

The Apollo Group was bought out because University of Phoenix has been losing students for years to non-for-profit colleges. Most of them are cheaper than UoP; some of them are around the same price or more, but they have better name brands. UoP has lost a few lawsuits and was temporarily banned from recruiting on military bases because they were trying to recruit veterans with brain damage.

There is a lot of competition in online education now. You either need to be cheap or have a good name brand. Like I said in the other thread, why would someone pay $510 per credit hour at Excelsior when they could pay a similar price at University of Florida? Why would someone pay $510 per credit hour at Excelsior when they could pay $3500 per six months at a competency-based school?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • miah
(05-19-2018, 07:55 PM)sanantone Wrote: ITT Tech didn't shut down because it was struggling. They shut down because the federal government disqualified it from receiving financial aid after they were found to be scamming students.  

Ashford University was bought out many years ago by a for-profit company. Once it was bought out, the campus was never a focus. The marketing was almost entirely directed toward online students. Ashford also had accreditation issues because it was based in Iowa, but most of their operations were in California. HLC saw this as a problem and threatened to pull their accreditation, so Ashford moved its headquarters to California to be accredited by WASC. Therefore, their Iowa campus became even less of a focus.

The Apollo Group was bought out because University of Phoenix has been losing students for years to non-for-profit colleges. Most of them are cheaper than UoP; some of them are around the same price or more, but they have better name brands. UoP has lost a few lawsuits and was temporarily banned from recruiting on military bases because they were trying to recruit veterans with brain damage.

There is a lot of competition in online education now. You either need to be cheap or have a good name brand. Like I said in the other thread, why would someone pay $510 per credit hour at Excelsior when they could pay a similar price at University of Florida? Why would someone pay $510 per credit hour at Excelsior when they could pay $3500 per six months at a competency-based school?

Excelsior College needs to get back to their roots.  I would pay and did pay $510/credit if I can transfer in 116 credits.  That is the Big 3 Advantage over everyone!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(05-19-2018, 08:24 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(05-19-2018, 07:55 PM)sanantone Wrote: ITT Tech didn't shut down because it was struggling. They shut down because the federal government disqualified it from receiving financial aid after they were found to be scamming students.  

Excelsior College needs to get back to their roots.  I would pay and did pay $510/credit if I can transfer in 116 credits.  That is the Big 3 Advantage over everyone!

Apparently, their main source of income was their nursing program. Excelsior's roots were as a public college, but they no longer have the tax dollars to support them. It's hard to make money when you let people transfer in 116+ credits. 

It appears that higher education in Connecticut, as a whole, is doing poorly. COSC never had many students, and Connecticut is a small state. I think COSC created more majors to attract more students, but they aren't, and creating new degree programs costs money. Being in such a small state, they need to do more to attract students from other states.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Wasn't their a thread on here a year ago created by TESU alumni going over the lack of revenue the school was bringing in?
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
(05-19-2018, 09:20 PM)Exfactor Wrote: Wasn't their a thread on here a year ago created by TESU alumni going over the lack of revenue the school was bringing in?

Yes, the state made up the deficit, which is common with public schools. In the 2015-2016 school year, the school lost money because of increased pension expenses and a reduction in fees (TESU started letting people meet the residency requirement with TECEPs and PLAs instead of requiring a $3,000 enrollment fee). COSC's deficit seems to be so large that it's becoming a problem, and the State of Connecticut is considering merging colleges. That may or may not happen. TESU, on the other hand, is adding doctoral and masters programs and expanding its nursing program, and the State of New Jersey decided against merging TESU with Rutgers.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Zippadeedoodah
Merge with Rutgers and send me an updated diploma, please
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • MSK9, Nodaclu
(05-19-2018, 09:58 PM)jsd Wrote: Merge with Rutgers and send me an updated diploma, please

Sorry. We missed out on that.

I think part of the reason for wanting to do this was to make it easy for Rutgers to build an online division. They would have instantly gotten 17,000 online students.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Up to about 20 years ago, Excelsior offered no courses, just a number of exams, half in nursing. I think the big three have went astray trying to generate revenue to build empires. Their purpose was to aggregate miscellaneous credits into a reasonable facsimile of a degree. Now they want to be real schools.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old Guy's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(05-21-2018, 02:09 PM)Old Guy Wrote: Up to about 20 years ago, Excelsior offered no courses, just a number of exams, half in nursing.  I think the big three have went astray trying to generate revenue to build empires.  Their purpose was to aggregate miscellaneous credits into a reasonable facsimile of a degree.  Now they want to be real schools.

Old Guy

I also think they have had too much mission creep and wish they would stay different (aka the Big 3).
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,086 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,820 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,157 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,907 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,277 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 955 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,255 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,767 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,214 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning