Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak versus Excelsior (fastest and lowest cost to BLA and recommended route)
For the AA and to complete the Gen Eds you only need three things: Ethics (saylor or DSST should be fine), the DSST human Cultural geography exam which satisfies two requirements, and College algebra or the CLEP College Math....plus the cornerstone. When you do the cornerstone is sort of up to you. I would start ALEKS today, start the Saylor course as quick as you can confirm it will suffice for the Ethics requirement, and start studying the Human Cultural Geography....get those done by the start of the fall semester in about a month and you can just do the four classes (cornerstone plus three from CSU-Pueblo) in the fall. I detailed all this above but here it is again:

"Gen Ed
3 Ethics (there is a free saylor.org course that likely qualifies or take the DSST Exam for ($80))

3 Non US History
3 Global Understanding
COSC makes these two easy for you....simply take the DSST Human Cultural geography and satisfy both requirements ($80)

3 Math You might try ALEKS College Algebra for only $20 month till you reach 70%, or take the College Math CLEP which satisfies the requirment and gives you 6 credits for one low price of ($100)

Once those are done (or along with those) take the COSC cornerstone and receive your AA, you will have 73-76 primarily liberal arts credits at this point."

You can take the Sociology CLEP if your ready...but it's just three more LA elective credit as the requirement in social science is met by the Psychology credit you already have.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:COSC holds two ceremonies a year up in Connecticut.

They only hold one ceremony in June. They do, however, have 2 conferral dates per year.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
publius2k4 Wrote:They only hold one ceremony in June. They do, however, have 2 conferral dates per year.
your right, my bad.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
wow, so I guess I don't need sociology then? I will start studying for ethics. Should I apply for cosc right now then? Also, are the dsst exams difficult and is there any certain fema I should focus on? theres a ton on their website and a lot of them seem to give 1 credit per cert but I don't know which ones count. Also I read you had to take the cornerstone to get your aa or ba, do I need to do it 2 times and is it difficult
The sociology doesn't help you much, if your ready and the money isn't tight I might take it...but you don't NEED it. DSST aren't really much different than CLEP. Do the DSST Business Ethics....its upper level. Also start ALEKS College Algebra and plan to do the DSST Human Cultural Geography. pretty good study guide and prep over at freeclepprep.com and, of course, via the flashcards and feedback forum available to paid members here at IC.........

The next COSC semester starts in like 4 weeks...while you knock out the above you need to get signed up with them, work out the consortium agreement, and pick your three extra courses at CSU-P (or wherever).

Do the FEMA as you have time. Anything that indicates college credit should be fine. If its marked that indicates FCC has reviewed it and that's the recommendation COSC follows...

Cornerstone once...you need to register seeking a Bachelors, and just let them know you want to pick up your AA on the way (cost $200 but I think its worthwhile, your gonna be doing all the work for one anyway).

Capstone is the second COSC required course....other than those two, corner and capstone, there isn't anything else that has to be taken at COSC...everything else can be earned elsewhere.

Be careful picking CSU-Pueblo courses. Try to get input from an adviser at COSC, you don't want to waste time or money that won't count towards the degree. Also download the course catalog, read through and be sure how your chosen courses are structured. I never needed a proctor in any CSU-P courses because I carefully selected courses that didn't require tests.
AS in EMS August 2010

These should be reasonably safe bets for the COSC liberal arts UL degreee (those labelled 300-400) As you consider your choices think about how they fit together, how would you explain your degree to a friend or potential employer...it will help you through your cornerstone class.

History > Division of Continuing Education > Colorado State University-Pueblo
English > Division of Continuing Education > Colorado State University-Pueblo
Sociology > Division of Continuing Education > Colorado State University-Pueblo
Political Science > Division of Continuing Education > Colorado State University-Pueblo

The Exam list for COSC is here: http://www.charteroak.edu/Current/Academ...r-list.pdf
Anything labeled Upper Level should be considered such as
DSST Civil War
DSST Substance Abuse
DSST Business Ethics and Society.....I just realized this is UL, take that instead of the free saylor.org and you satisfy ethics while earning 3 UL credits.
DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union
There are several ECE and TECEP exams as well.
AS in EMS August 2010

wow, so it sounds like I don't need to much from cosc besides capstone, cornerstone. since I am already enrolled and set up for classes at enmu and they also have a consortium, do you think I should just try to register for some upper division classes there?? im still kinda confused why its good to go to 2 schools? Is it to maximize financial aid or something? Im sorry I have so many questions. just trying to figure this thing out. I am getting college algebra going through aleks and an studying for human cultural anthropology. I am just freaking out cuz the fall term starts in a couple weeks and don't know if I should continue with this loan through enmu which I'm taking it that I shouldn't but I don't know what other school would be able to process my app before school starting. oh, one other quick question. which tests do you need to worry about a gpa and which are pass/fail. I don't want screw those up. Thanks again everyone for the help. I'm just so knew to this.
ok I read this whole forum again. I think I got it. knock out said math, geography(rise and fall soviet), business ethics. Enroll in 3 upper division courses at cssu pueblo or enmu via consortium plus cornerstone at cosc. repeat second semester with 3 more upper division plus capstone and fill in the blanks. I hope im getting this correct. I'm going to check pueblo an see if I can still get enrolled there.
jimjam92397 Wrote:ok I read this whole forum again. I think I got it. knock out said math, geography(rise and fall soviet), business ethics. Enroll in 3 upper division courses at cssu pueblo or enmu via consortium plus cornerstone at cosc. repeat second semester with 3 more upper division plus capstone and fill in the blanks. I hope im getting this correct. I'm going to check pueblo an see if I can still get enrolled there.
I said Human Cultural Geography (it satisfies 2 gen ed requirements) Rise and Fall would count as an UL liberal Arts course.

Doesn't really matter where you go for the UL classes so long as they are willing to work with you in regards to COSC and maximizing your F/A. I think the cleanest way to do this is by letting COSC act as your "clearing house" and letting the other school be the subordinate....CSU-P shined at this....really, great experience.

Gotta run to a meeting....
AS in EMS August 2010

Thanks rebel. From what im reading enmu wants to be the main one so maybe I should try csu pueblo. I will keep u posted. Thanks again

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,088 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,821 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,160 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,909 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,277 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 956 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,255 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,768 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,214 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning