Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oaks BS Psychology
I am looking for a few alternative courses that could work to complete the BS Psychology degree at COSC.

Statistics in Psychology - So far I was able to locate a Psychological Statistics course at BYU Independent Study but its around $700 including the textbook. I"m not familiar with BYU and it lists several of their other courses as prerequisite requirements. Does this mean you would need to complete all of those at BYU Independent study as well? Are there any other known (more affordable) alternatives to meet this degree requirement at COSC?

Research Methods - I know SDC offers this course but according to the Charter Oak/SDC its not even considered a psychology elective so it doesn't appear that Research Methods in Psychology at SDC would work as anything other than a Liberal Arts elective. Does anyone know if they would accept the UEXcel exam or Coopersmith's Research Method's in Psychology to meet this requirement? Any other known equivalencies or possible suggestions?

And then two of the following are also required: 
  • Cognitive Psychology
  • Adolescent Psychology
  • Learning and Memory
  • Introduction to Neuropsychology
SDC appears to offer Cognitive Psychology, but I do not see it listed on the transfer agreement. Does anyone know if this could work for as one of the above courses? Looking at the transfer agreement it looks like SDC's Human Growth and Development could work as Adolescent Psychology, but i'm not certain. 

If anyone has experience with this degree at COSC and could offer some insight into alternative credit options to meeting any of the above requirements, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have taken courses at BYU-IS, and they have never actually required any of their pre-requisites.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • shadowgem
Hi shadowgem!

I'm new around here so my apologies if I'm way off.. but would ALEKS "Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences" course meet the requirement for COSC "Statistics in Psychology"?

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea
[-] The following 1 user Likes OldManOfTheSea's post:
  • shadowgem
(10-06-2019, 04:03 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I have taken courses at BYU-IS, and they have never actually required any of their pre-requisites.

Thank you! That is at least one relief although the cost is still fairly high lol

In case there are no other options, could you share your experience with BYU-IS? Are the independent courses more similar to a normal structured course with lectures, readings, assignments, and exams or is it just study suggested materials and then take an exam?

(10-06-2019, 04:56 PM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote: Hi shadowgem!

I'm new around here so my apologies if I'm way off.. but would ALEKS "Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences" course meet the requirement for COSC "Statistics in Psychology"?

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea

Well welcome! And no need for apologies, but rather tyvm for the suggestion!  Smile 

I had considered this as one potential option, I am just uncertain it would actually work. I'm not sure how Aleks courses transfer into COSC (in general) but know TESU treated each of the three Statistic courses as equal. I wonder if COSC does the same or evaluates each independently. Hmmm.

Maybe someone has used it successfully before and that would be great to learn. It would be nice if that course did indeed meet the requirement, as it would certainly be my first choice. I enjoy the Aleks learning platform.
(10-06-2019, 05:30 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 04:03 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I have taken courses at BYU-IS, and they have never actually required any of their pre-requisites.

Thank you! That is at least one relief although the cost is still fairly high lol

In case there are no other options, could you share your experience with BYU-IS? Are the independent courses more similar to a normal structured course with lectures, readings, assignments, and exams or is it just study suggested materials and then take an exam?

(10-06-2019, 04:56 PM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote: Hi shadowgem!

Thanks!
OldManOfTheSea

Well welcome! And no need for apologies, but rather tyvm for the suggestion!  Smile 

I had considered this as one potential option, I am just uncertain it would actually work. I'm not sure how Aleks courses transfer into COSC (in general) but know TESU treated each of the three Statistic courses as equal. I wonder if COSC does the same or evaluates each independently. Hmmm.

Maybe someone has used it successfully before and that would be great to learn. It would be nice if that course did indeed meet the requirement, as it would certainly be my first choice. I enjoy the Aleks learning platform.

I would absolutely ask- ALEKS would be a great way if it's accepted. Email their registrar.
(10-09-2019, 01:59 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I would absolutely ask- ALEKS would be a great way if it's accepted.  Email their registrar.

I haven't actually applied/enrolled at COCS yet, so I don't think it's possible they would advise me unless I do. The recent changes at TESU definitely have me reconsidering my options, so I'm looking more closely at this degree with COSC. 

Unfortunately it's not clear whether these four requirements have any options other than taking the courses with COSC, which I would prefer to avoid if possible. I just thought I would double check here in case someone had any advice on alternative options before deciding one way or the other.
(10-09-2019, 06:58 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 01:59 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I would absolutely ask- ALEKS would be a great way if it's accepted.  Email their registrar.

I haven't actually applied/enrolled at COCS yet, so I don't think it's possible they would advise me unless I do. The recent changes at TESU definitely have me reconsidering my options, so I'm looking more closely at this degree with COSC. 

Unfortunately it's not clear whether these four requirements have any options other than taking the courses with COSC, which I would prefer to avoid if possible. I just thought I would double check here in case someone had any advice on alternative options before deciding one way or the other.

Well, I'm guessing people are just guessing. The potential pool is tiny. COSC only has about 2,000 students in the entire college, and how many are doing a psych degree and from there how many are here and from there how many are considering alternative math? I still think it's worth a phone call to them. Certainly couldn't hurt.
I'm currently taking a Psychology BS at COSC. I did PSY216 and the Cornerstone with them this past term, just finished it last weekend. Currently looking at some Study.com courses and then gonna register for the Capstone first of next year.

I need to talk to my adviser about some of these same requirements, let me do that and get back to you. I'm taking a Uexcel tomorrow so it'll be a day or two
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • shadowgem
(10-27-2019, 09:37 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I'm currently taking a Psychology BS at COSC. I did PSY216 and the Cornerstone with them this past term, just finished it last weekend. Currently looking at some Study.com courses and then gonna register for the Capstone first of next year.

I need to talk to my adviser about some of these same requirements, let me do that and get back to you. I'm taking a Uexcel tomorrow so it'll be a day or two
Why did you take the cornerstone? I thought jus like tesu they waived the cornerstone if you already had a bachelors degree.
I'm certainly not at expert on COSC transfers, but it would be pretty surprising of Stats for Behavioral Science didn't fulfill this requirement. It's exactly the kind of thing it's designed for. But keep us updated if you hear anything back from the registrar
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades Jonathan Whatley 44 5,652 06-28-2022, 01:58 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Charter Oak - Statistics rachel83az 0 952 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Charter Oak Application Time Table nilahti2 3 1,597 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM
  Physics Concentration at Charter Oak State College sciencemathematics1 19 3,394 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: conflitz
  Charter Oak Grad Credit for Undergrad? Clepper43 3 1,291 07-17-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Does Charter Oak still accept ALEKS? Gooberman11 1 1,155 07-16-2020, 02:18 PM
  Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 Glen1 18 3,933 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Last Post: shaas
  Charter Oaks CyberSecurity indigoshuffle 7 1,718 04-28-2020, 03:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Charter Oaks Computer Science Credits Shyjbh 1 1,122 04-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Business Statistics for Charter Oak? Clepper43 3 1,057 04-21-2020, 11:06 PM