Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cheap, Accredited Online Degrees... Where are the windfalls?
Question 
Hello DegreeForum!!
I'm back with questions after completing my AA in Engineering. Not through online means, but community college.
I'm interested in hearing some feedback about two different online, accredited schools.
1) Ashworth College
2) Penn Foster College

I've read the wiki over a year ago. Neither of these were mentioned. But for the price of $708/cert that's DEAC, NC-SARA, CHEA accredited at Ashworth College, that's a damn steal! The same can be said from Penn Foster College which is also ACE accredited along with the prior mentioned for the same program for $649.

So why is it that these two accredited schools aren't mentioned? Am I missing something malevolent in the fine print? I mean, the way the system is set up seems pretty solid. Certs ARE different from Degrees. But they also have degrees which aren't overpriced.

Let's use both online school's Finance Associate's Degree as an example...
Penn Foster College, Finance Associate's Degree: $1,099/Semester x 4 Semesters = $4,396
Ashworth College, Finance Associate's Degree: $1,099/Semester x 4 Semesters = $4,396

Okay, all well and good, same pricing. Quality of education?
Penn Foster College Curriculum:
Code:
[b]Semester 1[/b]
Business Orientation
Information Literacy
Introduction to Business
Art Appreciation
Mathematics for Business and Finance
Financial Accounting
[b]Semester 2[/b]
Computer Applications
Managerial Accounting
English Composition
Principles of Management
Arts and Humanities Elective
Economics 1
[b]Semester 3[/b]
Intermediate Accounting 1
Financial Management
Business and Technical Writing
Intermediate Algebra
Intermediate Algebra 2
Science Elective
[b]Semester 4[/b]
Cost Accounting
Business Statistics
Business Law 1
Computer Applications in Accounting
Speech
Social Science Elective

Ashworth College Curriculum:

Code:
[b]Semester 1[/b]
EN110 - Achieving Academic Excellence
SP180 - Principles of Public Speaking
EN120 - English Composition I
C10 - Introduction to Computers
C01 - Introduction to Business
[b]Semester 2[/b]
EN130 - English Composition II
General Education Elective (Science 100-200 Level)
C09 - Principles of Finance
C13 - Microeconomics
A01 - Introduction to Accounting
[b]Semester 3[/b]
General Education Elective (Behavioral/Social Science 100-200 Level)
General Education Elective (Humanities/Fine Arts 100-200 Level)
F01 - Money and Banking
F02 - Financial Institutions and Markets
F03 - Financial Statement Analysis
[b]Semester 4[/b]
C17 - College Mathematics or MA240 - College Algebra*
SO245 - Social Impact of Technology
F04 - Investments
Elective (100-200 Level)
Elective (100-200 Level)

Personally, I am more interested in their trades, e.g. Carpentry, than anything else. Not that getting a degree in it means anything for my future. I'm really only after some insight and starting my own woodworking hobby. It's not a practical application on my part for future employment in the field.

BUT! I am seriously wondering why these schools aren't mentioned here. I think they're pretty great at first glance. Reading into them they have some value. What am I overlooking?
I know that Penn Foster is not Regionally Accredited, so that's a definite downside. I wouldn't spend the money to get a degree at a non-RA school under almost any circumstances.

No idea about Ashworth.

But for the prices you show here, you can almost get A BA at one of the Big 3 - they're all about $7k or less for a BA degree.

Also, mostly on this forum, we discuss schools that will accept 114-117 ACE/NCCRS credits.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
Ashworth is also not regionally accredited, just DEAC. Hard pass.

They're also both for-profit, fwiw.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Wow. Thats pricey. Especially for an associates...even moreso for a non RA one.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

I'm a bit on the lost side of this. What's the defining difference between Regionally Accredited vs. Nationally Accredited?

Edit: Found this snippit.
Regional accreditation vs. national accreditation. Regionally accredited institutions are usually academically-oriented, state-owned or non-profit private institutions. Nationally accredited schools are usually career-oriented and for profit.

So my question then would be, which helps more in a job-seeking setting?
If you're planning on transferring credit in the future, National Accreditation (NA) severely limits what schools you may be able to transfer to.

For other schools (and employers that care about accreditation specifics), NA is seen as inferior because the standards are more lax and the education is typically less rigorous and is tied in most people's mind with for profit online schools.

That being said, most employers aren't too concerned with which type of accreditation your school has, as long as it is accredited. There are some obvious exceptions (you'll never be a professor, even NA schools don't want profs with an NA degree).

At any rate, the Big 3 are cheaper, more flexible, and have more respectable accreditation than any NA school you'll find, so it's not really worth spending more for less.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Sapientes, TalentlessOlympian
Just an FYI - if you take & pass a minimum of two semesters in any associate degree program with Ashworth you get one semester (15 credits) for free.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
BABA, New England College, 2019
(05-05-2018, 12:11 PM)jsd Wrote: If you're planning on transferring credit in the future, National Accreditation (NA) severely limits what schools you may be able to transfer to.

For other schools (and employers that care about accreditation specifics), NA is seen as inferior because the standards are more lax and the education is typically less rigorous and is tied in most people's mind with for profit online schools.

That being said, most employers aren't too concerned with which type of accreditation your school has, as long as it is accredited. There are some obvious exceptions (you'll never be a professor, even NA schools don't want profs with an NA degree).

At any rate, the Big 3 are cheaper, more flexible, and have more respectable accreditation than  any NA school you'll find, so it's not really worth spending more for less.

Thank you for the perfect response to my question! May I also challenge your knowledge with more questions?
Seeing as you've taken courses at 2/3 of the big 3. Which institution was more to your liking?
Also, for those seeking trade skills online, where should someone look?
As I mentioned previously, I was thinking about taking ashworth's carpentry course. (I'd personally prefer to take the classes in person but I'm moving around too much for a brick and motor class)
The Big 3 are TESU, COSC, and Excelsior. WGU isn't one of the three, but it's Big 3 adjacent, I guess. Not as flexible accepting transfer wise, but it's pretty darn close. And can be done just as quickly (or sometimes quicker) for cheaper or around the same amount as the Big 3 -- So they are often discussed here as they are almost in that same league. And for some paths, namely IT degree programs, they can't be beat by the Big 3, particularly for industry certification reasons.

Anyway, having said that, I would say that I enjoyed my efforts more at WGU than I did TESU. I didn't dislike TESU though. it's hard to compare the two, since I transferred all but two courses in to TESU and did the rest by ACE credits and prior college credits, but for WGU I actually completed 72 credits with them. So of course I felt more involved with the school and part of the school community, with real support and involvement from the school. But that's the nature of testing out of degrees with the Big 3. It's not TESU's fault, that's the choice we make when we transfer everything in.

At any rate, both of my degrees are important to me, and I enjoyed earning both of them.

Honestly I don't know anything about trade skill training. We don't really discuss it much around here. I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable with the topic will chime in to help out though.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • High_Order1, Sapientes, TalentlessOlympian
The Big 3 are all RA.

Regionally Accredited (RA) is what I needed to be an Army Officer.  RA is the gold standard.  An NA degree was worthless in my field at the time.  Much more risk with a NA degree.

Excelsior College let me transfer in 116 of the 120 credits.  That's why it is a Big 3 college and its RA.  Other colleges make you take 30+ credits from THEM.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 2 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • ajs1976a, jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 10 487 Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,486 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 258 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 609 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,791 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 386 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,350 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 302 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,684 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 741 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh