Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap RA credits not so cheap...
So I just had a mindblowing exchange with someone at the College of Southern Nevada, which has been named here as a source of cheap credits. I found a couple of classes I needed, and the out-of-state tuition was $117.50. Woo-hoo! Sign me up!

Except the Tuition and Fees page told a different story. I figured I had to be misinterpreting it, so I emailed. Nope. It really is... $243.75 per credit.

These are the fees PER CREDIT (not per course):

Registration fee Lower Division $106.75
Technology fee $8.50
Student Union fee $9.00
Athletics & Rec fee $2.00
Non-Resident (part-time) Lower Division Tuition) $117.50

Yes, $731.25 per 3-credit course. Each credit incurs $126.25 in fees on top of tuition. I can't even wrap my mind around that. How do you charge a separate registration fee for each credit? Who runs this joint, Ticketmaster??

Anyway... that was my Moment of WTF today. 
[-] The following 5 users Like monchevy's post:
  • ctcarl, dfrecore, jch, Johann, samiam
Holy cow, not including fees in tuition per credit hour is a huge pet peeve of mine. This is the craziest one I’ve ever seen. Yikes!
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 3 users Like harrypotter's post:
  • monchevy, rachel83az, SteveFoerster
What kind of registration fee is that? That's ridiculous! Maybe it is run by Ticketmaster.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • jsd, monchevy, rachel83az
(06-26-2020, 06:11 PM)monchevy Wrote: So I just had a mindblowing exchange with someone at the College of Southern Nevada, which has been named here as a source of cheap credits. I found a couple of classes I needed, and the out-of-state tuition was $117.50. Woo-hoo! Sign me up!

Except the Tuition and Fees page told a different story. I figured I had to be misinterpreting it, so I emailed. Nope. It really is... $243.75 per credit.

These are the fees PER CREDIT (not per course):

Registration fee Lower Division $106.75
Technology fee $8.50
Student Union fee $9.00
Athletics & Rec fee $2.00
Non-Resident (part-time) Lower Division Tuition) $117.50

Yes, $731.25 per 3-credit course. Each credit incurs $126.25 in fees on top of tuition. I can't even wrap my mind around that. How do you charge a separate registration fee for each credit? Who runs this joint, Ticketmaster??

Anyway... that was my Moment of WTF today. 

Wow so I graduated there, holy crap!  It used to be about $360 a course.  Not only do you get crappy customer service there, and waste months on the phone, they now charge what you'd expect at UNLV.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 2 users Like videogamesrock's post:
  • monchevy, rachel83az
If you take it on-ground, on-campus parking would probably take it to $1,000 a course. Truly ridiculous, as you guys all say. If they're that money-hungry, they could at least be up-front about fees. In 24-point bold type - all caps! To me, this is the kind of sharp practice that drives people away from schools - not to them.
[-] The following 2 users Like Johann's post:
  • monchevy, rachel83az
It’s mainly a 2 year college with like half a dozen BA degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • monchevy
I can understand (though I don't like) a $20-40 per course technology fee at other colleges/universities. But those per-credit fees are absolutely ridiculous.
I seem to recall many $50 per credit technology fees Sad

The first technology fees I saw around here (Canada) crept in during the late 90s. I was going to on-ground night school at the time - and what I couldn't understand was a technology fee attached to a Psych course, or other courses where we didn't even touch the school's computers.

Still can't understand it - and never got more than a bafflegab explanation.
(06-27-2020, 10:49 AM)Johann Wrote: The first technology fees I saw around here (Canada) crept in during the late 90s. I was going to on-ground night school at the time - and what I couldn't understand was a technology fee attached to a Psych course, or other courses where we didn't even touch the school's computers.

Still can't understand it - and never got more than a bafflegab explanation.

Basically it's a money grab.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 587 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,199 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 474 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 413 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 489 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,790 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,547 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,770 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123