Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap RA credits to transfer in to CUNY SPS?
I want to start by thanking everyone here!  First post!  I’ve been stalking this forum for the past month, and have decided to pursue a Bachelors in Business using a lot of what I’ve learned from all of you.  I already took one course from Saylor two weeks ago and passed the proctored exam!   3 credit in the bag, and now took a detour working on the Google IT Cert to finish by the end of the month, then return to Saylor exams once a week until I fail one, then slow the pace.  I’ve read the Wiki, and have a really good understanding of how it all works.  So here is my situation, hoping for some feedback/guidance.  

Current Credits:
RA - 9 credits (from 2005) 
Saylor - 3 credits 
Google IT - working on now

While still flexible, my ideal would be transferring in credits to CUNY SPS for a Bachelors in Business.  Mostly because I live in NYC and the name holds more weight, more recognizable in job searches.  The issue is I don’t have many RA credits.  They take 105 max transfer credits, 45 max ACE credits, which means I would need 60 RA credits (51 more needed).  I understand they have to match the program required courses. 

Is it even worth it to pursue this through CUNY SPS with so many RA credits needed?  Is it reasonable to think I can do 17 RA courses (51 credits) for under $7,500 anywhere, self paced in a year and change?  What is the best option for self-paced, cheapest and safest when it comes to obtaining RA credits online?

From what I’ve researched these names have come up:  UMPI, Snow College, ASU, NMJC, Tel Learning?  Any others?

I know this is a little abstract of a plan compared to the Big 3 plans.  Deciding whether the CUNY route is worth it while still needing so many RA.  My ultimate goal is a Bachelors in Business, in less than 3 years for less than $15,000 total.  

Any insights would be helpful, especially on cheap RA sources.  Thanks!
If you can get in-state tuition rates from Snow, I think that'd be the best place to start for cheap RA credits. Make sure you choose Snow College Accelerated Online and NOT Online@Snow. Online@Snow is NOT self-paced but the "accelerated" one is.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
(11-16-2020, 03:12 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you can get in-state tuition rates from Snow, I think that'd be the best place to start for cheap RA credits. Make sure you choose Snow College Accelerated Online and NOT Online@Snow. Online@Snow is NOT self-paced but the "accelerated" one is.

Yea I guess I wouldn't be in state as I reside in New York.  Also the link seems to be broken for Snow College Accelerated Online. https://online.snow.edu/ 

Will check back later.  Google Search says I've visited 3 times in past 2 months so seems to be the appropriate link, wondering if its just down or this program is now more?  

Also, heard back from CUNY telling me TEL Learning would not be accepted as RA credit "These credits would not count towards meeting the 24 credit minimum admissions requirement.  Only credits from a regionally accredited college/university will count towards meeting the minimum."
(11-16-2020, 05:06 PM)DegreeBy2023 Wrote: Yea I guess I wouldn't be in state as I reside in New York.  Also the link seems to be broken for Snow College Accelerated Online. https://online.snow.edu/ 

Also, heard back from CUNY telling me TEL Learning would not be accepted as RA credit "These credits would not count towards meeting the 24 credit minimum admissions requirement.  Only credits from a regionally accredited college/university will count towards meeting the minimum."

1) They have some scholarships for out-of-state residents that can put the price at in-state.  Check on that.  And yes, link looks to be bad right now.

2) I would not ask CUNY about TEL, as that's not where the credit is ultimately coming from.  Instead, you take the courses, and then they come in on an RA transcript.  I think those schools actually lease TEL courses, those are their actual classes at the school.  So TEL has a deal where you can take the courses through them, but since they're the same courses as you'd take at the school, then the schools will give them RA credit as if you went there.  At least, that's what I've been able to glean from them and Westcott.

So ask CUNY about specific courses at the schools where you'll be getting credit. Do NOT mention TEL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu
(11-16-2020, 05:06 PM)DegreeBy2023 Wrote: Also, heard back from CUNY telling me TEL Learning would not be accepted as RA credit "These credits would not count towards meeting the 24 credit minimum admissions requirement.  Only credits from a regionally accredited college/university will count towards meeting the minimum."

I think there may have been a communications snafu.

While some schools will award credit directly for the completion of Tel Learning's Courses on Demand, I think what most students are interested in is credit awarded by their partner colleges, which, so far as I am aware, are gen-yoo-wine brick and mortar RA institutions.

Typically, you complete the course and credit is awarded by a partner college.  If you check the syllabi for the courses you're interested in, you can ask CUNY about credit awarded by that particular institution.
[-] The following 2 users Like ctcarl's post:
  • DegreeBy2023, Pikachu
TEL Learning uses Mid-America Christian University and Greenville University.

I would suggest asking CUNY about Mid-America's courses: https://www.tellearning.org/partners/mid...con-tabs|2 Ask about specific ones, not just whether or not they are accepted.

But here are Greenville's as well, in case any of those are a "better fit" from CUNY's perspective: https://www.tellearning.org/partners/gre...con-tabs|2
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • DegreeBy2023
UMPI is self paced. You can take as many courses as you can finish in an 8 week term for $1400. I'll be completing at least 6 courses this term....maybe 7 if I get moving. They have everything there so you don't have to worry about transferring in credits. They only accept up to 30 ACE credits. If you have any questions about UMPI, send me a PM.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • DegreeBy2023
Hey,

Try competency-based online programs:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs

For example, you pay $2.5k to Capella University, and you'll be allowed to take lots of RA course credits that can be transferred to CUNY SPS.
[-] The following 2 users Like nomaduser's post:
  • DegreeBy2023, Pikachu
(11-17-2020, 07:21 AM)nomaduser Wrote: Hey,

Try competency-based online programs:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs

For example, you pay $2.5k to Capella University, and you'll be allowed to take lots of RA course credits that can be transferred to CUNY SPS.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I see now how TEL Learning works, will check out both Mid-America Christian University and Greenville University for specific courses and inquire about credit transfer consideration without mentioning TEL Learning.  

Also leaning towards a Competency Based Program, wondering if any financial aid is available for competency based programs?  

Will do some research on that, and what past experiences for individual programs, how fast people have completed courses. 

Quote:UMPI is self paced. You can take as many courses as you can finish in an 8 week term for $1400. I'll be completing at least 6 courses this term....maybe 7 if I get moving. They have everything there so you don't have to worry about transferring in credits. They only accept up to 30 ACE credits. If you have any questions about UMPI, send me a PM.

6-7 courses in 8 weeks seems fast!  If I could get 18-21 RA credits in 8 weeks that would be a game changer.  And that is how they show on transcript, as RA or something else?   Also wondering if the longer 24 week programs equate to being able to get more credits out of it, or if the courses just take longer?

As for snow, being out of state, I don't know if I want to take the risk of paying for it and hoping for the out of state scholarship.  

Still research/comparing to do of the Competency Based Programs but that seems like the move.
Capella U gives you payment plan option during their 12-week subscription term.
You can pay $800 each month, total three times. So you can get started with $800.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 196 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 40,079 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,460 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,827 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 891 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 977 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 670 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,066 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  UoPeople Certificate program transfer courses? MNomadic 5 1,592 12-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TEL Learning - your new best friend (cheap RA credits) dfrecore 107 18,537 10-17-2022, 12:51 PM
Last Post: CanICode