Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest UL Science credits?
(07-31-2019, 10:34 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: ... My SO wants to start to fill up on some UL Biology/Natural Science/Chemistry types of credits while we figure out what school he should go to. ...

You are probably already aware of this, but outside of the Big3 the utility of alternative credits like SL and Study.com are limited. Also, if grad school is part of his future, many schools may not accept alternative credit for core science prerequisites when applying for a graduate degree in engineering or science.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa
I forget not everyone is military
(08-02-2019, 01:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 12:03 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Excelsior has atleast four, but are you looking for any course in particular?

I think "inexpensive" does not apply to EC's actual courses.  I could be biased, but $510/cr is very expensive in my book.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

I guess I’d consider anything under $600 total as inexpensive for science courses. I didn’t know about the Coopersmith options. I think maybe a combo of Logan and Coopersmith may be a good place to start. We talked about it and he just wants to work through one course at a time and is okay with traditional online, as long as there’s no live time expectations.
(08-02-2019, 03:44 PM)natshar Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 03:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 02:33 PM)natshar Wrote: dfrecore

Yeah for sure. There aren't really any good definite UL science courses for cheap. I agree these UL Coopersmith may not come in as UL or science.

There aren't really any good 100 level science courses. On another note, Coopersmith has two lab sciences that are only $200 and that is for the full 4 credits and including the lab. Might be a good option for some people I think that is one of the cheapest options for lab science, especially because it is 4 credits not just 1.

I think (but am not 100% sure) that you have to pay extra for the labs.  It's hard to tell from the website how you would take the labs.

Maybe from the website it says:

"DESCRIPTION
This is for SCI-201 (Anatomy & Physiology) or SCI-104 (Environmental Science). Each course is 4 credits, including the lab component. Please specify in the order which one you'd like to order.
$200.00"

Most Coopersmith courses are $150.00 not $200.00.

Ah.  Good to know.  But I STILL can't figure out the lab portion of these!  How would you accomplish those??  Virtual?  It would be nice to see in the course description how this would get done.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
This is a bit of a hard question b/c the people who need UL science courses are almost always not going to be able to use the UL science courses we use here. That's such a specialty area that unless you're 100% sure he knows exactly where he is going to school and his exact major, taking UL science online or for pass/fail is exceptionally risky imo. Probably the least transferable and most expensive of ANY subject.

BUT, I took upper level biology through Harvard University's Extension offerings, and there are many that are fully online. Had I finished a degree in biology, I could have done so by using Harvard graduate level courses as upper level undergrad. That nifty trick probably won't work everywhere either- but it works at TESU, which is the school I would have used.
Another but, you have to be willing to pay cash- because you're not enrolled, so you can't get financial aid. Current rate is $2800 per course.
(08-06-2019, 01:56 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Ah.  Good to know.  But I STILL can't figure out the lab portion of these!  How would you accomplish those??  Virtual?  It would be nice to see in the course description how this would get done.

@shaas Perhaps you can reply about the labs. We're curious.

(08-02-2019, 06:07 PM)davewill Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 10:34 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: ... My SO wants to start to fill up on some UL Biology/Natural Science/Chemistry types of credits while we figure out what school he should go to. ...

You are probably already aware of this, but outside of the Big3 the utility of alternative credits like SL and Study.com are limited. Also, if grad school is part of his future, many schools may not accept alternative credit for core science prerequisites when applying for a graduate degree in engineering or science.

Is this really the case, though? Outside of ivies or other elite colleges, a lot of state universities seem to accept ACE credits. My flagship does.
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
(08-20-2019, 11:25 PM)NolaRice Wrote:

Is this really the case, though? Outside of ivies or other elite colleges, a lot of state universities seem to accept ACE credits. My flagship does.

Just because a college in the ACE registry does not mean they accept all ACE credits or even most ACE credits. Many only accept ACE military credits or very specific about the credits they accept and might only be one or two specific courses that are accepted. 

A college near me didn't accept any of my ACE credit even though they supposedly accept ACE credit.

https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...lege-list/
(08-20-2019, 11:48 PM)natshar Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 11:25 PM)NolaRice Wrote:

Just because a college in the ACE registry does not mean they accept all ACE credits or even most ACE credits. Many only accept ACE military credits or very specific about the credits they accept and might only be one or two specific courses that are accepted. 

A college near me didn't accept any of my ACE credit even though they supposedly accept ACE credit.

https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...lege-list/

Ouch. I didn't know that. I thought it was basically an automatic transfer. This complicates things for grad school  Dodgy
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
(08-21-2019, 12:10 AM)NolaRice Wrote: Ouch. I didn't know that. I thought it was basically an automatic transfer. This complicates things for grad school  Dodgy

When planning this kind of thing, you really need to work backwards from the grad school program requirements. Contact admissions for the grad schools You would like to attend and explain that you're using CLEP/DSST/NCCRS/ACE credit in your undergrad degree, and you'd like to know whether they will accept them for their prerequisites. Also ask what their GPA requirements are, and if you need a minimum number of graded credits.

Then you don't have to guess. Unfortunately, you often can't find answers to specific stuff like this on the website.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 168 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 175 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,145 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 621 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 593 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 593 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
  Transfer Sophia.org credits to Penn State World Campus? nomaduser 16 3,063 12-19-2023, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Dlynn1219
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 638 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  ACTFL no longer give ACE credits? Kab 16 1,401 08-10-2023, 04:41 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Can your Sophia credits be rejected when applying for a Master? ausernameisneeded 24 4,134 08-03-2023, 05:37 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded