Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest and Fastest PHD or Psyd Psychology or Social Work
Hi all.

I'm already a licensed therapist in Social Work, I'm looking for a PHD or Psyd to help increase my marketability and prestige for my private practice. Like it or not, when I have the title Dr. more referrals come in the door. I have confirmed this with a few colleagues. And so I don't need to be able to become a licensed psychologist, I simply need a doctorate that is legitimate.

What would be my best options?
(02-10-2019, 11:35 PM)wantthattitle Wrote: Hi all.

I'm already a licensed therapist in Social Work, I'm looking for a PHD or Psyd to help increase my marketability and prestige for my private practice. Like it or not, when I have the title Dr. more referrals come in the door. I have confirmed this with a few colleagues. And so I don't need to be able to become a licensed psychologist, I simply need a doctorate that is legitimate.

Ryokan College in Los Angeles used to do this! However, they are shutting down Sad
I’m not sure of your definition of cheap and fast but California Southern University may have an online degree that meets your needs:

https://www.calsouthern.edu/online-psych...ogy-degree
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacricolist's post:
  • DeanLewis
If you already have an MSW, then a DSW would like be the easiest.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Hi, W.T.T.,

I go to church with a guy who is referred to as a "doctor," professionally.

I was surprised, when I first saw this.

I knew him to be in H.R.

He did then say that he worked in H.R. from a organizational psychology perspective.

His doctorate was from Capella. 

Ah! It hit me!

Organizational Psych!

Made total sense!

He's not in counseling, per se, at least not as a Licensed Clinical Psychologist.

Thus, he's clear. "Doctor," he is, but, he doesn't purport to be a Licensed Clinical Psychologist and no one will confuse his credentials for that.

Here's what I've gleaned from various spots on this site and others, like the student doctor network site:

When one IS in counselling practice and licensed for such, as you are, already, but seeks to add the "doctor" title via a psych program, but does not obtain the Licensed Clinical Psychologist designation, there is an ethical consideration...unless one is quite clear about the nature of the doctorate they hold.

The clout and referrals you're referring to are probably regarding being a true Licensed Clinical Psychologist, though, naturally, there are people who are quite skilled as counselors who have no more than a masters, some of whom are probably way better than some PhD.'s or PsyD.'s. Sorry if I assume too much.

So, from what I understand, there isn't really a shortcut, time-or-money-wise.

Let's say you did get a Ph.D. in org psych, like my friend, or, in a straight-up Ph.D. or PsyD. program, but simply one that wasn't APA-accredited, didn't lead to doctorate-of-psychology-level licensure, or, you simply stopped short of all the requirements that could otherwise result in being Licensed Clinical Psychologist, in your state. However, at the same time, lets assume you continued in your counseling practice, just as you have, now, but, were to add the "doctor" stuff to your name, for the extra referrals. I think you would be called out on that. I think you would run risk to your reputation, ultimately. I think that this is a gambit that has been tried and been found wanting by counseling peer, across the country.

I'm no expert, so, there could be a hole or two in my understanding and, maybe, other ways to roughly approximate the same.

I know a masters-level graduate of a industrial and organizational psych program from an Ivy League school who has made $100+/hr., due to association with a top-level, known firm that seeks to aid companies, worldwide, with their highly-valued in-house employee counseling-type needs, but, that's probably off-topic for what you seek.

Please do post, again, W.T.T., when you gather more information, whether from here or elsewhere, as to the true best course for someone in your situation, as I'm sure that there are many others who could learn from you.

Of course, I'm sure you're heard of the Fielding Graduate University as possessors of the only APA-accredited PhD. and PsyD. programs online (hybrid, really, since meetings, though spaced throughout the year and the program, are required) (also, they meet all the requirements for APA internships, etc.), but, neither is Fielding cheap or quick.

Let us know how goes your journey.

- Slobodon
(02-11-2019, 09:21 AM)Slobodon,You make a whole bunch of excellent points.I actually got my inspiration from a fellow LCSW who has a PhD in organizational psychology. He clearly states in his intake forms that he is practicing as a social worker, and signs his name as John Doe, LCSW PhD.I personally have no issue with it, so long as one does hold themselves out to be a licensed clinical psychologist, they are not claiming anything they aren\t. A PhD in social work also gives you the name John Doe LCSW PhD and has no ethical issues despite the fact that the PhD in SW does not lead to licensure as a clinical psychologist.I saw Cal Southern and Capella, I was wondering what other options there were.Thank you all. Wrote:

Hi, W.T.T.,

I go to church with a guy who is referred to as a "doctor," professionally.

I was surprised, when I first saw this.

I knew him to be in H.R.

He did then say that he worked in H.R. from a organizational psychology perspective.

His doctorate was from Capella. 

Ah! It hit me!

Organizational Psych!

Made total sense!

He's not in counseling, per se, at least not as a Licensed Clinical Psychologist.

Thus, he's clear. "Doctor," he is, but, he doesn't purport to be a Licensed Clinical Psychologist and no one will confuse his credentials for that.

Here's what I've gleaned from various spots on this site and others, like the student doctor network site:

When one IS in counselling practice and licensed for such, as you are, already, but seeks to add the "doctor" title via a psych program, but does not obtain the Licensed Clinical Psychologist designation, there is an ethical consideration...unless one is quite clear about the nature of the doctorate they hold.

The clout and referrals you're referring to are probably regarding being a true Licensed Clinical Psychologist, though, naturally, there are people who are quite skilled as counselors who have no more than a masters, some of whom are probably way better than some PhD.'s or PsyD.'s. Sorry if I assume too much.

So, from what I understand, there isn't really a shortcut, time-or-money-wise.

Let's say you did get a Ph.D. in org psych, like my friend, or, in a straight-up Ph.D. or PsyD. program, but simply one that wasn't APA-accredited, didn't lead to doctorate-of-psychology-level licensure, or, you simply stopped short of all the requirements that could otherwise result in being Licensed Clinical Psychologist, in your state. However, at the same time, lets assume you continued in your counseling practice, just as you have, now, but, were to add the "doctor" stuff to your name, for the extra referrals. I think you would be called out on that. I think you would run risk to your reputation, ultimately. I think that this is a gambit that has been tried and been found wanting by counseling peer, across the country.

I'm no expert, so, there could be a hole or two in my understanding and, maybe, other ways to roughly approximate the same.

I know a masters-level graduate of a industrial and organizational psych program from an Ivy League school who has made $100+/hr., due to association with a top-level, known firm that seeks to aid companies, worldwide, with their highly-valued in-house employee counseling-type needs, but, that's probably off-topic for what you seek.

Please do post, again, W.T.T., when you gather more information, whether from here or elsewhere, as to the true best course for someone in your situation, as I'm sure that there are many others who could learn from you.

Of course, I'm sure you're heard of the Fielding Graduate University as possessors of the only APA-accredited PhD. and PsyD. programs online (hybrid, really, since meetings, though spaced throughout the year and the program, are required) (also, they meet all the requirements for APA internships, etc.), but, neither is Fielding cheap or quick.

Let us know how goes your journey.

- Slobodon
It's hard to get cheap and fast. Arizona State University's Doctor of Behavioral Health is 18 months, but it'll cost over $50k. The DSW at University of Tennessee, Knoxville will take about 2.5 years. That program is probably a little under $45k. If you can transfer the maximum of 30 credits (probably won't get the max since you don't have a master's in psychology), California Southern University will cost $19,620. If you don't have any transfer credits, then the program will cost $36k. They don't accept financial aid, so you have to pay out of pocket.

American College of Education is one of the cheapest regionally accredited schools, but they only offer doctoral degrees in education. They also don't accept financial aid.

Here's a list of the cheapest online doctoral degrees in social work. The info is a little out of date, but tuition shouldn't be that much higher. Also, some of those rates only apply to in-state students.

https://www.gradschoolhub.com/affordable...cial-work/

At Liberty University, you can join an emergency response organization, such as the Civil Air Patrol or your local CERT team, and get a 25% discount. University of West Georgia and University of the Cumberlands are also relatively cheap.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • cmarsh16
Ashford has a PsyD.

(02-11-2019, 09:28 PM)sanantone Wrote: University of West Georgia and University of the Cumberlands are also relatively cheap.

Not sure UWG is online.

"Method of Delivery

Courses are 100% face-to-face."

No doctorate is fast. None are easy. None are cheap.

The costs are enormous. Not just in terms of tuition and fees, but in terms of time, sacrifice, and opportunity costs. It is a multi-year effort that will draw you in, and draw you away from almost every other aspect of your life.

Doing a doctorate is hard. Doing it for strong motivational reasons is hard enough. Doing for vanity is fraught with danger. When the goal is far away, when the costs stack up, when the fun is gone (and doesn't seem like it will ever return), it helps to remember the deep and meaningful reasons one had for doing it. It can get pretty dark as it is, but if that motivational light goes out, you could get lost.

Doing a doctorate is different than other degrees. You can do a bachelor's or master's by just showing up and doing what you are told. But doing a doctorate means you'll have to identify your niche, your place in your part of the scholarly world, and THEN create the work good/significant/original enough to fill it. That's a tall order; many doctoral students never finish. The boneyard of failed doctorates is littered with the remains of people who didn't have a passion for it. They just signed up and did what they were told to do...until the part where they had to take over.

Doing a doctorate means forming or advancing your professional identity. You will be the result of that work for a very long time--possibly even the rest of your life. It should have more meaning that something you did to get a few more customers or to use the title "doctor." That's not a value judgment. What I'm saying throughout this message is that it likely won't be enough to see you through.

This is why I like the system used by the British (and in many countries), where the candidate has to prove his/her mettle and readiness to do doctoral research BEFORE being admitted to the degree. In the US, one can go years without having the first clue, then BAM! The dissertation comes and destroys you. It's really late in the game to begin figuring things out. Many never do.
(02-11-2019, 09:54 PM)Ideas Wrote: Ashford has a PsyD.

(02-11-2019, 09:28 PM)sanantone Wrote: University of West Georgia and University of the Cumberlands are also relatively cheap.

Not sure UWG is online.

"Method of Delivery

Courses are 100% face-to-face."
I think that the same must go for Univ. of The Cumberlands, as far as doctoral programs, but, as an aside, for anyone looking for an undergraduate psychology degree program online, from an otherwise traditional bricks-and-mortar, regionally-accredited school, with what might be the lowest tuition available for regionally-accredited, very wide selection of classes and a couple of different "tracks," based on for what one anticipates for future study, and a generous transfer policy, coupled with liberal acceptance of CLEP, some DSST, and an alternative/write-up-your-life-experience offering for some classes (with dept. approval, review, etc.), The University of The Cumberlands (in Kentucky - not Cumberland Univ.) is the place.

(02-11-2019, 08:41 PM)wantthattitle Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 09:21 AM)Slobodon,You make a whole bunch of excellent points.I actually got my inspiration from a fellow LCSW who has a PhD in organizational psychology. He clearly states in his intake forms that he is practicing as a social worker, and signs his name as John Doe, LCSW PhD.I personally have no issue with it, so long as one does hold themselves out to be a licensed clinical psychologist, they are not claiming anything they aren\t. A PhD in social work also gives you the name John Doe LCSW PhD and has no ethical issues despite the fact that the PhD in SW does not lead to licensure as a clinical psychologist.I saw Cal Southern and Capella, I was wondering what other options there were.Thank you all. Wrote:

I'm one of those who doesn't fear the dead thread.

When you decide, as you apply, after a year or two, or, once you've gone through whatever program or course on which you decide, check back on this very thread and leave the trail of breadcrumbs for the next person.

The same question has certainly arisen for others, so, you may help someone else elucidate their path.

I pray peace for you and an exciting way forward.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Least Expensive Doctorates in Psychology, Counseling, or Other Mental Health fields eLearner 12 976 01-21-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: eLearner
Question Absolute cheapest online JD program? Randyb100 22 11,429 10-23-2023, 04:40 PM
Last Post: nkout1983
  Any All-But-Dissertation (ABD) Doctorate in Psychology (Psy.D./Ph.D.) programs? PositiveSoul 6 1,632 02-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  EdS/Phd Hybrid/Online School Psychology programs? nyvrem 7 2,260 09-02-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Masters/PhD in Psychology/Neuroscience options Supermind 23 6,496 07-26-2019, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Online Ph.D. Psychology or PsyD romoh 16 3,725 06-24-2019, 08:14 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Fastest PHD, DBA, etc Johmford 11 3,395 02-23-2019, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Online EdD in Psychology, No Dissertation sanantone 2 2,526 12-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  Inexpensive Psychology PhD Options? rowan555 5 2,759 12-22-2016, 04:02 PM
Last Post: AJ_Atlanta