Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cheapest grad schools per credit
I'm looking for more schools with cheap online  grad credits, and I know some others are looking to get to 18 grad credits in an area. I'll add more to this post while I can. It will keep me motivated to search Smile

- Competency based schools usually come under $300/cr if you work fast... WGU, Patten, Capella, etc.

- There are some cheap credits, mostly in the education field, like VESi, PBS Teacherline, etc. These generally won't help you teach at community colleges.

- Some in-state schools if you're lucky.

Fort Hays State University (fhsu.edu) is one of the cheapest and under $300/cr.

Georgia Institute of Technology 

Amberton University - They are also known for taking NA credits in transfer, and allowing half of the credits in transfer.

Missouri State University 

Valdosta State University 

Arkansas State University 

University of Arkansas at Little Rock (ualr.edu) - Doctoral level is cheap too!

[-] The following 8 users Like Ideas's post:
  • dewisant, GoodYellowDogs, High_Order1, HistoryMaker, keepsingin, Mamasaphire, Muldoon, sarg123
Good idea to collect this info in one place. For grad programs, it's probably better to list the cost of the whole program since the number of units vary, other fees are significant, and transfer credits are rare.

As far as Georgia Tech, it's just the MSCS, and the new MS in Analytics that are cheap. For the MSCS, if you can handle two courses per term, it's about $6,600 and it's about $8000 if you take one course at a time. The MS Analytics is more, but still under $10,000.

http://www.omscs.gatech.edu/prospective-students/faq
https://pe.gatech.edu/master-science-deg...ytics/faqs
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 7 users Like davewill's post:
  • BAJ, cookderosa, dewisant, Ideas, keepsingin, sarg123, Yenisei
I guess I can throw NationsU out there, even though it's not traditional and it's NA, but some of the courses will transfer to Liberty University and maybe others? It's less than $1500 a year and includes all the books. Only things they offer are an MTS and MDiv.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 4 users Like rlw74's post:
  • dewisant, HistoryMaker, Ideas, Mamasaphire
Someone else recently started a thread for all degrees you can get for under $10,000, although I think you also have to be able to get them in a year. Having a list of degrees that are cheap but not fast is a good idea.

My original idea here was for people who don't want a full degree. Either they already have some grad credits/degree and want to reach 18 in one area for community college teaching, or... any other reason. In my case, I'm potentially looking to get about 12 grad credits to use in a "custom" undergrad (so that the credits also get me close to the 18 for cc teaching) and/or fewer, just to add as extra grad-level specialty courses on my resume.

But I got distracted yesterday and didn't come back to the post. I can't edit it anymore, but I'll try to post a revision with more information the next time I do some searching.

This is 2 different problems/questions imo.

The first question is getting cheap grad credit. (add in Learner.org to your list) Cheap grad credit on its own isn't necessarily *useful* unless you use it as an alternative approach to upper level undergrad credit (TESU allows that) or if you can use it as a +18 option for secondary teachers or 18 credit bundles beyond a master's degree for community college teachers.

The second question is earning a cheap graduate DEGREE which is a different puzzle altogether. Unlike the big 3, earning graduate credit doesn't necessarily get you any closer to a graduate degree than paying rack rate because most grad schools offer limited acceptance of transfer credit, limited degree types that accept transfer credit, or jack up the remaining per credit costs that you're saving time but not necessarily money.

IMO, earning as cheap of an undergrad degree as possible is really a great approach when you know you're getting a graduate degree because unlike "check the box" undergraduate degrees, graduate degrees tend to serve a specific purpose- and that might bring a higher price tag to get exactly what you want, especially if you're not going for something generic like MBA.
This school has one very specific grad cert for $375/cr.
http://bamabydistance.ua.edu/degrees/gra.../index.php

UNCC seems to be cheap for NC residents only. Maybe only in the summer.

WNMU seems to cost $775/cr now. For in-state, online, or summer. They used to be cheap. CNM also went way up.

Peru State seems to have only 2 grad degrees (and no certs). $348.75/cr

ENMU seems to still be $300/cr for those who take only 6 credits or less. It's around $272 but you have to add $17/cr for online courses.

AMU/APU if I didn't already mention it!

Chadron State $348.75/cr
Wayne State $348.75/cr

Adams State varies by program

Minot State http://www.minotstateu.edu/busoffic/student_info.shtml

Emporia State for many midwestern states

(03-16-2018, 10:38 AM)Ideas Wrote: ..In my case, I'm potentially looking to get about 12 grad credits to use in a "custom" undergrad (so that the credits also get me close to the 18 for cc teaching) ..

I don't understand 

wouldn't that be double counting the grad credits ? 

if you use them as part of the undergrad degree then they go in as upper level undergrad don't they ? 
how can you use them again as grad credits to be able to teach ?

when you apply for a teaching job aren't they're going to request transcripts from all your schools ? 

it just seems weird

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,617 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Discerning dubious from legit foreign schools rachel83az 19 4,655 03-14-2024, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Ebbwvale
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 547 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,173 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,006 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,614 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 649 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,540 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,273 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,408 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn