Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chinese Families Paying to Get Their Kids into Elite, American Colleges
Many Asians take "Personal Branding" more serious than Americans.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I still think it's ridiculous. If I had $6M to throw away, I'd have my kid work in my business with me, and maybe get a degree if they wanted one, wherever they wanted. If they didn't want one, I'd be fine with that as well.

To me, the reason you go out and work hard in HS is to get into a decent school to get a degree so you can live a decent life with a decent job. If you don't need money, then you don't need the rest of that stuff. You already HAVE a decent (more than) life.

If money was no object, my son would join the military at 18. Since he wants to make more money than he can as an enlisted person, he's thinking of going to college on an ROTC scholarship so he can be an officer.

My daughter hates school. If money was no object, she'd quit now (in HS). She'd find things to do to be productive, but school certainly wouldn't be it.

Any way you slice it, they would not spend $6M do bribe their way into ANY college. Ever. They'd rather have the cash!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-06-2019, 08:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: To me, the reason you go out and work hard in HS is to get into a decent school to get a degree so you can live a decent life with a decent job.

Maybe that hard work, decent school, decent life sequence works out for most people in the middle and the 'solid' working class in the U.S.

There are parts of the world where the same sequence is considerably less likely to lead to a decent life. I'm not saying a Chinese family with 6.5 mil for college admissions gaming is in immediate humanitarian crisis. Broader point, China may be one of the places the sequence may not work as reliably. Just 43 years ago, Mao was in power and there was little if any private business wealth. Maybe the ways parents try to leave something for the next generation should look different there, in some details.
(05-06-2019, 08:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Any way you slice it, they would not spend $6M do bribe their way into ANY college.  Ever.  They'd rather have the cash!

If your family had enough money that dropping $6 million on something isn't a big deal, then you and they might have a different perspective. When money isn't the biggest issue, then status and power become more important. Both of which can be more easily had by the right education and connections.

Though in some cases education is a misnomer since I'm certain that some students manage to avoid learning anything. They have people who ensure they are able to pass their courses.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • ryanaryn
Its all about branding and a status symbol. Asian culture works very different and education is held in very high regard.

It makes sense when you spend enough time with them.

Guy with Filipina fiance and Chinese best friend here.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • Life Long Learning
the kid's father is a billionaire. what's $6m to them honestly. if they wanted a PR/Citizenship anywhere in the world, they could just go via an investment visa program. there's no need to have a paper from Stanford to 'open doors'. at the end of the day, it's Chinese (not the country, the race) pride flushed with money.
Since bribing schools to accept kids seems to be more common than previously known, I suspect that many wealthy families know how to keep the wealth in the family. Not going to college is not an option. They're not going to turn over the family business to an heir who only has a high school diploma. Some families probably expect their kids to forge their own path, and elite schools get them the connections and a boost on their resumes. There's some keeping up with the Joneses and eugenics, too. You don't want to tell your peers at a dinner party that your kid is going to Backwoods State University because she wasn't smart enough to get into a "good" school.

Running a business is hard. Even if you removed the taxes and regulations, most businesses would still fail. These kids are being groomed to maintain generational wealth.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • davewill
(05-07-2019, 07:33 PM)sanantone Wrote: Since bribing schools to accept kids seems to be more common than previously known, I suspect that many wealthy families know how to keep the wealth in the family. Not going to college is not an option. They're not going to turn over the family business to an heir who only has a high school diploma. Some families probably expect their kids to forge their own path, and elite schools get them the connections and a boost on their resumes. There's some keeping up with the Joneses and eugenics, too. You don't want to tell your peers at a dinner party that your kid is going to Backwoods State University because she wasn't smart enough to get into a "good" school.

Running a business is hard. Even if you removed the taxes and regulations, most businesses would still fail. These kids are being groomed to maintain generational wealth.

Dave Ramsey's kids are being groomed to maintain generational wealth, and they went to state schools. A majority of Fortune 500 CEO's didn't go to an Ivy.  So I'm not certain that this is all true.

You can learn to run a business without a business degree, and you can certainly learn to run one with a degree from a local state school.  I think people are bribing their kids into top schools for bragging rights only.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Businesses close, family fortunes fall, but except in cases of misconduct a graduate will never lose their degree, and they'll often hold on to quite a bit of intangible good from the experience. It's a different type of asset.
@dfrecore I agree. Dave Ramsey is awesome and his kids are on the right track.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb How to make screen time useful for kids? drArret8 2 460 01-03-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  University / Colleges with Grammarly? msa145 1 746 12-18-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  The complicated, behind the scenes setup for American Pie's computer scene upgrayedd 0 437 11-09-2022, 11:58 PM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  American University Alpha 1 572 08-26-2022, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Teacher surprises kids with mirror trick! bjcheung77 0 472 06-23-2022, 04:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kids Idea Tank Alpha 0 773 04-02-2021, 07:50 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  MathLand Full Version - Math for the kids! (Google Play) bjcheung77 0 925 12-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  American Opportunity Tax Credit sirjake 13 4,630 05-02-2020, 12:59 AM
Last Post: BrianFallon
  Colleges moving online because of virus natshar 11 1,833 03-14-2020, 02:59 AM
Last Post: alab21
  Trouble with American Literature!!! roofduck 0 662 02-06-2020, 03:35 PM
Last Post: roofduck