Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chinese
Can anyone think of a college that offers Chinese via distance learning? I know BYU offers a Chinese Lit Indy course- but I'm looking more for a course that would count as a straight foreign language class.

Thanks!!
Rio Salado offers a few (if this link doesn't work, just search by subject on their course schedule): http://www.riosalado.edu/Schedule/pages/...=&building=

I'll add that I took Japanese through them a while back, and while the classes are pretty independent, there is a teacher to always ask questions of and a lot of good materials. But the class is challenging! If Chinese is similar (and I suspect it is), learning the Kanji adds a new facet to learning that you don't get in many languages. My class consisted of some quizzes, a few times when you had to do some original writing, responding to questions orally (they have a way to record yourself as you answer built into the classroom), and at the end had to write a couple paragraphs about myself and deliver the information orally (again, recorded).
[-] The following 2 users Like tifferbugz's post:
  • cookderosa, Ideas
Oregon State University offers a bunch of different (not the usual) foreign languages, although they are a pricey $297/cr x 4cr. Not sure if they are quarter credits either.

I think Udemy offered some as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(10-27-2018, 11:56 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Oregon State University offers a bunch of different (not the usual) foreign languages, although they are a pricey $297/cr x 4cr. Not sure if they are quarter credits either.

I think Udemy offered some as well.

thank you - I have a good list on udemy, but this is one of the subjects I just don't have a good resource list for. Every once in a blue moon a parent asks me about AP Chinese (which udemy is great for) but there aren't many alternatives!! Many states have high school foreign language requirements, so this comes up - and it came up again last week. I really appreciate your suggestions though, I'll check them out.
College of San Mateo offers online Chinese courses. Email the professor if you would like to obtain a prereq waiver (if you have previous experience with Chinese, you may be able to skip a lower level class or two). 

http://collegeofsanmateo.edu/chinese/
[-] The following 3 users Like peacel's post:
  • cookderosa, nflight, TacticalTechie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Is It Possible to Become Fluent in Chinese in Just 9 Weeks?? LevelUP 27 3,097 04-17-2023, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Learn Chinese, Russian or Arabic? rachel83az 1 567 07-30-2022, 08:36 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  "Chinese Literature in Translation-Poetry" at BYU-IS still available pws 2 1,047 12-04-2019, 05:07 AM
Last Post: pws