Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing a degree - 1st Degree
Hi everyone,

I hope all is well. My name is Tonya.
A little about me: 
I am 37 years old and reside in New Jersey.
I was accepted into nursing school after finishing my prerequisites and passing the entrance exam, 
I attended my first nursing class and earned a high score, but after the pandemic, I decided to change my major and not accumulate loans.

I will like to earn a low-cost degree that won't leave me with any debt. This will be my first degree, and I'm unsure exactly which degree I should choose. I am interested in science, business, and African American History. I've looked into a few programs at TESU, ASU, and Western Governors but could not decide on a program.

The credits I've already earned are listed below. If anyone has any advice they can offer, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Tonya

Sophia.org
  1. Accounting
  2. College Algebra
  3. Introduction to Ethics
  4. Macroeconomics
  5. Developing Effective Teams
  6. Student Success
  7. The Essentials of Managing Conflict
Straighterline
  1. Microbiology 
  2. Microbiology Lab
  3. Anatomy and Physiology 1
  4. Anatomy and Physiology 1 Lab
  5. Anatomy and Physiology 2
  6. Anatomy and Physiology 2 Lab
  7. Business Ethics
  8. Nutrition
  9. Introduction to Communication
  10. American Government 
  11. US History 1
  12. US History 2
  13. Cultural Anthropology
  14. Introduction to Religion
  15. Introduction to Psychology
  16. English Composition 1
  17. English Composition 2
Study.com
  1. Sociology 101
  2. Life Span Developmental Psychology 107
Union County College
  1. Principles of Organic and Bio Chemistry
  2. Medical Terminology
  3. Nursing 130
There's no need to post the same thread in different areas of the forum. You really need to start to figure out what degree you want. You're kind of all over the place with science, business, and African history. An online science degree is going to be difficult to complete and expensive. Business degrees are the easiest to complete online and can be the cheapest out there.
Getting a science degree would be expensive and difficult. Getting a history degree would be easier, though it'd be more expensive if you wanted to focus on African American History specifically. Business would be the easiest and cheapest.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • basicunitoflife
@TonyaBay, you can do the following. Pierpont BOG AAS with an emphasis in Biology, get some "technical courses" by completing Business, Computer/IT related courses from Coursera/IBM, etc and see if UMPI will take them. Go for the UMPI BAS with a triple minor in MIS, PM, Management. For your "electives", take some African History courses you're interested in, not necessarily get the History minor, but some courses under your belt and on the transcript. Voila!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 4 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • basicunitoflife, ctcarl, indigoshuffle, SteveFoerster
So far I like the plan from bjcheung77.

Also, this is not for credit, so it won't help you towards a degree, but my friend Liz Leiba started the Black History and Culture Academy and they now offer quite a few low cost courses that you might enjoy taking on the side (or later on once you're done, whichever).
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 4 users Like SteveFoerster's post:
  • basicunitoflife, CatsDomino, Jonathan Whatley, rachel83az
(07-21-2022, 02:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @TonyaBay, you can do the following.   Pierpont BOG AAS with an emphasis in Biology, get some "technical courses" by completing Business, Computer/IT related courses from Coursera/IBM, etc and see if UMPI will take them.  Go for the UMPI BAS with a triple minor in MIS, PM, Management.  For your "electives", take some African History courses you're interested in, not necessarily get the History minor, but some courses under your belt and on the transcript.  Voila!

This makes sense, as usual you're on the money
[-] The following 1 user Likes indigoshuffle's post:
  • basicunitoflife
(07-21-2022, 02:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @TonyaBay, you can do the following.   Pierpont BOG AAS with an emphasis in Biology, get some "technical courses" by completing Business, Computer/IT related courses from Coursera/IBM, etc and see if UMPI will take them.  Go for the UMPI BAS with a triple minor in MIS, PM, Management.  For your "electives", take some African History courses you're interested in, not necessarily get the History minor, but some courses under your belt and on the transcript.  Voila!

Thank you so much for the advice!

(07-21-2022, 01:49 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Getting a science degree would be expensive and difficult. Getting a history degree would be easier, though it'd be more expensive if you wanted to focus on African American History specifically. Business would be the easiest and cheapest.

Thank you for your advice.

(07-21-2022, 01:10 PM)ss20ts Wrote: There's no need to post the same thread in different areas of the forum. You really need to start to figure out what degree you want. You're kind of all over the place with science, business, and African history. An online science degree is going to be difficult to complete and expensive. Business degrees are the easiest to complete online and can be the cheapest out there.

Thank you.
Maybe look at the Health Science degree from Excelsior.

Otherwise perhaps a general degree from UMPI. Seems quicker than a business degree.

I say get the cheapest/fastest degree possible - and leave the African American history as a hobby, so that you can do whatever you want with it and not have to worry about whether it's worth college credit or whatever (and there's zero alt-credit for it anyway).

Since you have very little RA credit, I'd probably choose UMPI (the BABA or BLS if you don't really need a business degree) or EU (either the BSB or BPS, again if you don't need a business degree).

If you choose UMPI, I would probably not spend the time/money getting 3 concentrations - I'd do 2, with the thought that MAYBE a 2nd would be in order. if you have time left in a term. I'm not a huge fan of collecting degrees - I just don't get that compulsion. One is enough for most people.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-28-2022, 11:12 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I say get the cheapest/fastest degree possible - and leave the African American history as a hobby, so that you can do whatever you want with it and not have to worry about whether it's worth college credit or whatever (and there's zero alt-credit for it anyway).

Study.com has the upper-level history course American Civil Rights Movement. Study and DSST have Civil War and Reconstruction.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,849 24 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 8 528 32 minutes ago
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 33 2,090 5 hours ago
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 172 11 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,092 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,277 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 167 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 925 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 531 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  UMPI Psy Degree Help Priszilla 12 907 04-06-2024, 04:37 PM