Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing
On your resume, call it:

The University of New York at Albany, Vice-Regents Ivy League College of Massive Amounts of Knowledge and Wisdom, That Most Simply Cannot Fathom, For Gentlemen and Scholars Only (Regionally Accredited by MSCHE)

barcotta Wrote:I'm totally with you on that--but that brings up another interesting problem. What is the poor schmo who graduated from Regents College supposed to do?
Quote:I'm perfectly happy with Excelsior College as a name. There are many colleges with unconventional names. We're all used to TESC, but is there a Benjamin Franklin State College?

I went Franklin College. They had a lovely statue of him on campus and everything. It is a small, private Liberal Arts college, though, not a technical school. It never occurred to me until you suggested it that it could be thought of like that. There are two Franklin colleges in fact. I think the other is in Pennsylvania or something. When I put a resume up on monster.com or something where it would be seen nationally, I do put "Franklin College of Indiana" but I'm not sure if that's correct.

I also think it's a very good point that some colleges have strange names. I don't care for the name Excelsior, but I really don't think it matters as long as the credentials are legitimate. As long as we're on the subject, I was looking at Andrew Jackson's free tuition program for after I finish at Excelsior, and the name of the school for addiction studies? Sober College of Addiction Studies. I laughed out loud. I think it's perfect. No one can say it's not apropos.

I intend to just put "Excelsior College" on my resume, though. But just to keep it simple because I have a tendency to ramble and I am going to need the extra space. lol. The name does suck, so I am not going to pretend I like it. I am honest when people ask where I go, and I just raise my fist in the air and say, "Excelsior!" You know, like Al Gore on that South Park episode where he ran around saying it. When I first heard the name Excelsior it made me think of Excalibur and Lancelot, etc.

Sunshine, here's what all I did. I requested the free catalogs from each school and just read through each one and chose the one I thought would work best for me. You can go ahead and apply to Excelsior for the $75 and get an unofficial eval, and they will hold onto everything for six months before you have to enroll and pay those fees. So if you chose Excelsior you have that little extra window of time if you so chose. I think that was one of the deciding factors for me. The annual fee if you don't finish in a year? Now that's good motivation to get done in a timely manner, for moi.

It's a very personal choice, but it's not set in stone. You can always jump ship and transfer if you hate it. When I requested the free catalogs from all three schools? COSC just sent me a slim pamphlet and nothing else, so I took that as a good sign that I should mark them off first. It was a tie between Excelsior & TESC, and price and convenience for me won out. As a side note about GPA, Excelsior inexplicably gave me a "B" for a class I was sure I got a "C" , so I now have a 3.28 (or something close, can't remember exact), which is a better GPA than I have ever had, excepting my senior year of high school. Good luck with your choice!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Sowak777 Wrote:On your resume, call it:

The University of New York at Albany, Vice-Regents Ivy League College of Massive Amounts of Knowledge and Wisdom, That Most Simply Cannot Fathom, For Gentlemen and Scholars Only (Regionally Accredited by MSCHE)

This made me laugh. Good idea! lol
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Thanks for all the info- I think I will make plans for both and just do the side by side comparison. I attempted to make a degree plan for TESC tonight-I'll post it below. What does everyone think? Any history majors out there??
Credits in green have already been completed.
Thanks again! You guys are awesome!

General Education Requirments (60)

English Comp (6)
CLEP English Comp or Eng 101, 102 courses at TESC

Humanities (12)
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]CLEP Humanities (6) HUM-101/102
CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Lit (6) LIT 291/292
[/COLOR]
Social Science & History (12)
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]CLEP Into to Sociology (3) SOC 101
CLEP American Government (3) POS 110
CLEP Social Science & History (6) SOS 101/102[/COLOR]

Natural Science & Math (12)
DSST Astronomy (3) AST 101
DSST Principles of Statistics(3) STA 201
DSST Intro to Computing (3) COS 101 (fulfill the computer science req.?)
DSST Physical Geology (3) GEO 151

General Ed Electives (18)
CLEP American Literature (6) LIT 111/112
CLEP English Literature (6) LIT 208/209
CLEP Natural Sciences (6) NAS 101/102

Major Requirements- History (33)
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]CLEP US History I (3) HIS 113
CLEP US History II (3) HIS 114[/COLOR]
CLEP Western Civilization I (3)
CLEP Western Civilization II (3)
DSST Civil War & Reconstruction (3) HIS 252
DSST Intro to the Middle East (3) HIS 309
DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (3) HIS 386
DSST History of the Vietnam War (3) HIS 351
DSST Western Europe sin 1945 (3) HIS 222
ECE World Conflicts since 1900 (3)
ECE World Population (3)

Free Electives (27)
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]CLEP Principles of Management (3) MAN 301
CLEP Principles of Marketing (3) MAR 301[/COLOR]
FEMA (21)
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkBlue"]B.S., Biology, Excelsior College
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Sunshine Wrote:Unless I'm missing something, EC does not provide a list of exams (other than ECEs) that meet their degree requirements.

Sure they do. Here's the link:

https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...atalog.pdf

It's a pretty good-sized PDF so it'll take a little while to show up. You can use this to match up requirements to exams. To find the requirements for each type of degree from each "school" (business, liberal arts, etc.) you'll need the one of the catalogs from here:

https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...fore_Login

Good luck!
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
dingbat Wrote:How do I make a choice between Excelsior, Thomas Edison, or Charter Oak? They all seem the same to me on the surface. what should I be looking for?

Not to dig this up again, but. . .

. . . OK, I am digging this up again.

There's another approach you can take-- burn rubber through whichever of the Big 3 you wish to attend. Then follow up with a solid Master's from a school whose name you really like. Problem solved. Smile
barcotta Wrote:Then there's The College of William and Mary. Should we have a Robert and Sally? Fred and Wilma?

hilarious hilarious hilarious
Excelsior BSB - MIS concentration (119 credits in the bank)
barcotta Wrote:Sure they do. Here's the link:

https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...atalog.pdf

It's a pretty good-sized PDF so it'll take a little while to show up. You can use this to match up requirements to exams. To find the requirements for each type of degree from each "school" (business, liberal arts, etc.) you'll need the one of the catalogs from here:

https://www.excelsior.edu/Excelsior_Coll...fore_Login

Good luck!

Thanks- I'm gonna work up a plan this week for EC. Smile
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
PeteDude Wrote:Not to dig this up again, but. . .

. . . OK, I am digging this up again.

There's another approach you can take-- burn rubber through whichever of the Big 3 you wish to attend. Then follow up with a solid Master's from a school whose name you really like. Problem solved. Smile

Yep, you make a VALID point! Big Grin I do plan to attend grad school...
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
alissaroot Wrote:Sunshine, here's what all I did. I requested the free catalogs from each school and just read through each one and chose the one I thought would work best for me. You can go ahead and apply to Excelsior for the $75 and get an unofficial eval, and they will hold onto everything for six months before you have to enroll and pay those fees. So if you chose Excelsior you have that little extra window of time if you so chose. I think that was one of the deciding factors for me. The annual fee if you don't finish in a year? Now that's good motivation to get done in a timely manner, for moi.

It's a very personal choice, but it's not set in stone. You can always jump ship and transfer if you hate it. When I requested the free catalogs from all three schools? COSC just sent me a slim pamphlet and nothing else, so I took that as a good sign that I should mark them off first. It was a tie between Excelsior & TESC, and price and convenience for me won out. As a side note about GPA, Excelsior inexplicably gave me a "B" for a class I was sure I got a "C" , so I now have a 3.28 (or something close, can't remember exact), which is a better GPA than I have ever had, excepting my senior year of high school. Good luck with your choice!

Good advice, thanks. I applied to EC, and will send off to TESC this week. Yes, the annual fee is enough to keep me in line as well!
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  choosing not to tansfer a course homeschoolmom1 9 2,922 09-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help Choosing Final Accounting Courses AMRH94 10 2,813 05-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Last Post: AMRH94
  Choosing General Electives cleper123 3 1,507 12-22-2017, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  [TESU] - (Probably) Stupid Questions Regarding Choosing Which Degree to Test Out Of Granola 4 1,358 03-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Granola
  New to Forum. Need Help Choosing Degree. pbs301 1 850 06-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New member, Excelsior student need help choosing exams. Long, very long. Mini Trail 9 2,218 05-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Mini Trail
  Need assistance on choosing program daristotle 30 2,898 03-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Difficulty choosing courses happydayruth 0 724 08-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Last Post: happydayruth
  What is the benefit of choosing a Concentration? sumjeff 9 1,510 05-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Last Post: sumjeff