Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classes over $250 a credit?!?
I guess that's the glory of the good ol USofA, we have the option of spending 4 years in a branch of the military in return for "handouts" paid school and a free chance at career training. Some countries it is compulsory to spend a mandatory stint or when you enlist you must stay in for 20 years(no choices). I believe that military vets should get some extra benefits if they have served in a combat unit or(especially) been injured due to their service. Hell, I am a vet. But I do believe that sometimes people that have joined the military believe they are entitled to something for nothing -just doing a job (unless it involves combat). How many 18 y/o kids join the military because they have no idea what they are gonna do with their life- it's a great option, thats what I did. The extra benefits of school and loans, etc should be just that - a nice perk and not an expectation. How many vets are now recieving medicaid, foodstamps, unemployment, tuition grants, or any financial assistance or even abusing the VA medical system? Just something to think about.

In saying that, if you can get the "perks", more power to you. Use the system for what it is and get whatever you can before it is gone.

Steps down and tucks soapbox back in its hiding spot. Smile
There are extra benefits to having been in combat/deployed downrange, and if injured on duty you can get VA disability. Good luck with the VA though... like getting blood out of a rock.
I'm a huge supporter of the military, I fight on your behalf all the time when people talk about teacher pay I remind them that our military is paid way less than teachers. It's not a matter of total compensation for me, id increase your total compensation in a heartbeat. The difference is in allocation. I would give service members a 10k raise in pay per year and reduce fringe benefits b 5k for example. These are just numbers for illustration. Its just because I believe in consumerism. I would extend this exact same philosophy to a private company too.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Give an 18 year old kid an extra 10k a year... what do you think he's going to do with it? Waste it. Give him that money in benefits like having college paid for and it's an investment by America in to it's citizens - benefiting the veteran and America by improving it's workforce.
Ma2 good point. I think the kid would probably go buy a Honda CBR and spend the rest on strip clubs if memory serves of what my friend told me while in Bragg.
I guess i just don't like how military is paid so low. When my friend was in the 82nd as an E2 he was making 850 a month including hazard pay. That seems way too low to me even if meals are paid for.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
90% of soldiers dont even use the TA. It took me 4 years in to realize that I need to finish my degree and I can do so for free. I could have been done like 2 years ago. Soldiers are really unaware of the process and the benefits of civilian education.
TESC BSBA: CIS graduate Sept. 2011
ryoder Wrote:Ma2 good point. I think the kid would probably go buy a Honda CBR and spend the rest on strip clubs if memory serves of what my friend told me while in Bragg.
I guess i just don't like how military is paid so low. When my friend was in the 82nd as an E2 he was making 850 a month including hazard pay. That seems way too low to me even if meals are paid for.

$850?? When was this? When I was in the 82nd at Bragg, I remember my paycheck was $750 hilarious with hazard/parachute pay.

I agree about the wasting of money with these young Soldiers nowadays. They do put a lot of strip club girls through college though. hilarious
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
clep101 Wrote:$850?? When was this? When I was in the 82nd at Bragg, I remember my paycheck was $750 hilarious with hazard/parachute pay.

Yea... but not all of us enlisted during WWII.... haha jokin lol Smile
MA2 Wrote:Yea... but not all of us enlisted during WWII.... haha jokin lol Smile

Hey hey, I'm only 33, Not even close to Vietnam era days. As a matter of fact, not even old enough for the 1st Gulf War. I was in 8th grade then. It seems like I've been in for a long time though, and I have a lot of responsibility at my rank, so my gray hair is coming out.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
I can imagine.... at least you made E-8 though... there are some Navy E-5's here with 12 or 13 years in, not crappy Sailors it's just advancements are terrible. And in the Navy when you hit 14 years as an E-5 they kick you out. You'll get a severance check of about $30,000 but that's about it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Converting Dive training to Colleges credit vetvso 9 1,680 09-16-2022, 04:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Brandman...Earn your Master's in only 7 classes. blaqberry 21 12,587 10-20-2021, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
Star DAU Courses Available Online and For College Credit kvolivera 89 25,865 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,575 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Navy BootCamp Credit natshar 9 2,309 03-31-2020, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,874 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How many Classes is it safe to take a year while on active duty? EazyE 14 7,823 06-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Passing NUC495 and other upper level classes without taking 100/200 level classes Randy8876 0 1,567 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Randy8876
  Joint service transcript credit acceptance windyart 8 3,001 06-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Last Post: windyart
  Are SPēD certificates worth anything? What about their ACE-approved classes? OfficerA 2 1,563 05-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Leherself