Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classes that have nothing really to do with your degree
Hello everyone!

My questions are:

If I want to take a class that really doesn't pertain to my degree (TESU BALS), can I do that?  Does it just go into a free elective? One specific class would be this one from CooperSmith.

If TESU would let me take this (assuming it would come in as UL), does it count towards my 18 needed for UL if it was a free elective?

Thank you!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
No your UL must be in the AOS to count. If you take an unreleated class then it will he placed in your free electives. If those are filled it will wont be applied to your degree.

Plan carefully to minimize waste, but everyone has a class or two or 10 that doesnt fit anywhere into their degree.

Out of curiosity which class do you plan to take there?
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(06-23-2019, 09:38 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: No your UL must be in the AOS to count. If you take an unreleated class then it will he placed in your free electives. If those are filled it will wont be applied to your degree.

Plan carefully to minimize waste, but everyone has a class or two or 10 that doesnt fit anywhere into their degree.

Thanks for the reply - It's this one, it looked like a fun class and since it seemed to be UL, I thought it could be a win-win:
http://www.nationalccrs.org/coopersmith-...ng-cul-301

I was looking a bunch of classes at Coopersmith that looked interesting and were UL. Most were Psych classes that interested me - that would fall into the AOS for BALS with no concentration, right?

Have you done any Coopersmith?
Started June 2022

Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
That course will fit into your free electives. Yes those psych courses will fall into your AOS nicely.

I was planning to do the UL math class there for a BA in Math but my plans changed.

On a side note if you're doing classes there you can use the code that some forum members have, they grt some money when you do..so you can help them that way.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(06-23-2019, 10:07 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: That course will fit into your free electives. Yes those psych courses will fall into your AOS nicely.

I was planning to do the UL math class there for a BA in Math but my plans changed.

On a side note if you're doing classes there you can use the code that some forum members have, they grt some money when you do..so you can help them that way.

I saw a thread on that and was planning on it - there's so much I've learned on this forum. If there is any way I can help someone I sure weill.

Thank you for the info about the classes!
Started June 2022

I didn't want to start a new thread since the subject is the same: This question is for COSC though. In a General Studies BS with IT concentration for ex, you need 18 UL in the AOS but 30 total. Could the other 12 be in "anything" UL?

TIA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(06-23-2019, 09:43 AM)suzycupcake Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 09:38 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: No your UL must be in the AOS to count. If you take an unreleated class then it will he placed in your free electives. If those are filled it will wont be applied to your degree.

Thanks for the reply - It's this one, it looked like a fun class and since it seemed to be UL, I thought it could be a win-win:
http://www.nationalccrs.org/coopersmith-...ng-cul-301

I was looking a bunch of classes at Coopersmith that looked interesting and were UL. Most were Psych classes that interested me - that would fall into the AOS for BALS with no concentration, right?

Have you done any Coopersmith?

My son starts Food Styling on August 1st!
(06-23-2019, 01:04 PM)cookderosa Wrote: My son starts Food Styling on August 1st!

It looks like it would be a really fun course - can't wait to hear what he thinks about it!
Started June 2022

(06-23-2019, 12:24 PM)TwinMom Wrote: I didn't want to start a new thread since the subject is the same: This question is for COSC though.  In a General Studies BS with IT concentration for ex, you need 18 UL in the AOS but 30 total.  Could the other 12 be in "anything" UL?  

TIA

Yes, the remaining 12cr of UL can be used throughout the degree.  So free electives would count (at least, that's what it looks like from their website).  I think it used to specifically say that you had to do the UL's in the Liberal Arts courses, but that went away.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TwinMom
(06-24-2019, 12:57 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 12:24 PM)TwinMom Wrote: I didn't want to start a new thread since the subject is the same: This question is for COSC though.  In a General Studies BS with IT concentration for ex, you need 18 UL in the AOS but 30 total.  Could the other 12 be in "anything" UL?  

TIA

Yes, the remaining 12cr of UL can be used throughout the degree.  So free electives would count (at least, that's what it looks like from their website).  I think it used to specifically say that you had to do the UL's in the Liberal Arts courses, but that went away.

Yay!  Thank you so much!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,456 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 771 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,702 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 376 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader