Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clep English Comp/Freshman College Comp
Has anyone taken both English Comp general clep and Freshman College Comp? How do they compare? Can you take both for credit or do you have to choose because one cancels the other out?
Johanna Wrote:Has anyone taken both English Comp general clep and Freshman College Comp? How do they compare? Can you take both for credit or do you have to choose because one cancels the other out?

Hi Johanna,

I have taken both the CLEP Freshman Comp, and CLEP English Comp w/ Essay, so I can give you a first-hand comparison.

First of all, in most cases, the two exams WILL cancel each other out. Excelsior only allows a total of 3 English Comp credits in addition to the 3 credits you earn in fulfillment of the Written English Requirement. As a result, if you are getting your degree at Excelsior, you will only get 3 credits for either of the above 6-credit exams.

The English Comp w/essay exam is split up into half multiple-choice, and half essay. I had a total brainfart on the essay portion of the exam, and ended up scoring a 57 (much lower than I knew I could have scored). As a result, I decided to take Freshman Comp to try and replace my low score on English Comp.

I found the multiple-choice section of English Comp to be very straightforward. As long as you are good at writing essays, and don't have a brainfart like I did, the essay section is not very difficult either.

The Freshman Comp exam was VERY much like the multiple-choice section of the English Comp exam....just MORE of the same kind of questions.

If you are good at spotting grammatical errors in sentences, and can identify ways to improve sentences etc., then Freshman Comp is the way to go.

The English Comp exam takes CLEP a few weeks to score, because your essay gets sent away to be graded. The Freshman Comp exam is scored instantly.

My 'brainfart' essay is what screwed up my score on the English Comp exam. I knew I had aced the multiple-choice portion. Even so, I still managed to pass it. So I can say that if you are good at the multiple-choice aspect, and can write a VERY basic essay, you will pass.

If essays are not your strong point, I would go for Freshman Comp instead.

If I had to do it all over again, I would go straight for the Freshman Comp exam, and skip the English Comp w/essay exam altogether.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Johanna,
I agree with snazzle, except I didn't take the essay version of English Comp (I hate essay questions). The freshman comp is just an extened version of English comp. So knowing grammar errors and paragragh comprehension skills is a solid foundation for scoring well on the tests.
[SIZE="2"]WORKING TOWARDS B.S. OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE FROM EXCELSIOR COLLEGE.[/SIZE]
UPDATED 1/13
COMPLETED 113.33 HRS.
NEED 14.67
[COLOR="Green"]RECENTLY TAKEN TEST: RISE & FALL - 12/12 - 46 (OUCH!)
NEXT TESTS: World Conflicts, Juvenile Delinquency, Ethics, College Writing
LAST TRADITIONAL CLASS: Social Science Research
[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]
CLEP/DSST - 51 HRS
TRADITIONAL - 53
MILITARY - 9
[/COLOR]
Johanna,

You can pass this easy! Ensure what your college requires (some require essay, some don't). I took the CLEP English Comp with Essay with no studying and passed just fine. This one and the CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature can be passed without any studying if you have normal knowledge of the English language- they are kinda you-know-it-or-you-don't tests. My 16-year-old brother passed both of them. If you are not strong, do practice for this one as it will pay off. You can do it!
Leah in Texas
CLEPs I passed: Accounting, Info Syst/Comp App, Mgmt, Marketing, Am Lit, Anlyz/Inter Lit, Eng Comp w/ Essay, Eng Lit, Humanities, US Hist I, US Hist II, Macroeco, Microeco, College Math, Nat. Sciences, College Algebra, Buis Law, Sociology
DSSTs I passed: Statistics, Finance, HR Mgmt, Org Behavior, Intro to Buis, Mgmt Info Sys, Buis Math, Prin Supervision, Money and Banking
Tests I failed:
Money and Banking, Pre-cal
College/Major: Thomas Edison, Buis Mgmt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 308 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 620 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 188 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor