Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clep and financial aide
Does anyone know how Clep and DSST affect ones status for financial aide grants like the Pell?
mishima Wrote:Does anyone know how Clep and DSST affect ones status for financial aide grants like the Pell?

My advisor at UoP said that the CLEPs don't affect grants, in fact you can use the pell funds for taking the tests. I am also taking classes, so that could make a difference.
CLEP
3/07 Sociology 69
4/07 Humaities 65
5/07 Biology 67
5/07 Psycology 67
That's wonderful that you can use Pell funds for CLEPs. That's a valuable piece of information.
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
how do I pay with pell, doesn't it go by cr card?
dina Wrote:how do I pay with pell, doesn't it go by cr card?

I was awarded a pell and I got sent a check. Sorry, I'm not real knowledgable on the subject and I decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth.
CLEP
3/07 Sociology 69
4/07 Humaities 65
5/07 Biology 67
5/07 Psycology 67
I was told by my educational institution that I could NOT use financial aid for CLEP. I don't know if that is an institutional or government policy. In any case, it really doesn't matter. I just waited for the refund for my unused financial aid and used that to pay for the CLEP exams. After you cash the check, how do they know?
ny2comunchkin Wrote:I was told by my educational institution that I could NOT use financial aid for CLEP. I don't know if that is an institutional or government policy. In any case, it really doesn't matter. I just waited for the refund for my unused financial aid and used that to pay for the CLEP exams. After you cash the check, how do they know?

I end up using mine for bills all the time. IT SUCKS. As im paying off my student loans in the next 20 bizillion years all i will be thinking about is how Direct tv is costing me so much money. hilarious

As far as clep and financial aid you are correct they do not take fafsa. If you are non military i believe they are up to 80$ or 90$ a test now freaking ridiculous if you ask me. Not like they have overhead or offices. They have one main office somewhere in an industrial park im sure.
OH well thats my rant of the day. You all take care.
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
You can't *directly* apply financial aid to CLEP or DANTES, but as many have said, you can take the excess and apply it after your disbursement.

As a word to the wise for those who are at traditional colleges, CLEP and DANTES credits count toward your 'standing'. I bumped myself to junior level through CLEP in a really short time-frame so that I could qualify for full student loan amounts - loans are reduced at the freshman and sophomore levels. Then you finance your CLEP on your credit card until your disbursement and pay yourself back with your financial aid check.

I wish someone had explained how easy it all was before I jumped in. It's been extremely simple!
Working toward BA in Irish Studies, Regis University

CLEPs
Humanities - 80
Analyzing and Interpreting Lit - 80
Freshman Comp - 80
English Lit - 76
English Comp - 76
American Lit - 76
Sociology - 76
Western Civilization I - 74
Social Sciences and History - 72
Western Civilization II - 68 (Ugh!)

DANTES
Ethics in America - 457
My university handbook says, "The hours of credit will not be used in the computation of grade point averages, or considered in determining academic hours, probation or suspension."

Now I understand the GPA, and academic propation and suspension, but what do you think they mean by academic hours? I thought that it referred to your "standing", i.e. Junior, Senior, etc. Now I'm not so sure.

I know for sure that CLEP does not affect your eligibility regarding your FAFSA, but you could use the fact that you CLEPed out of X number of classes if you are up for a Financial Appeal. At least it couldn't hurt anyway. Helps show you have initiative and mental facilities and whatnot.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Ways to Achieve Financial Security Abroad Kal Di 2 602 05-15-2022, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Fafsa, Pell grant, financial aid Tennesseegirl87 35 11,942 10-12-2018, 03:36 PM
Last Post: alexf.1990
  Bennett Hypothesis: Financial Aid Increases Tuition sanantone 60 7,267 07-01-2018, 05:34 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  “Can I Make An Entire College Degree Out Of CLEP Credits?” jmeitrem 9 2,598 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Is there a time limit when completing your clep test? Clarebugg 12 3,889 12-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Last Post: desireelws50
  Organizing my CLEP stuff jmeitrem 7 1,569 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Last Post: alzee
  Financial Aid Question videogamesrock 0 771 02-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Harvard Extension accepts ACE and CLEP rebel100 7 2,323 06-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Imagine if he had known about CLEP..... rebel100 18 2,321 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Missing CLEP tests ryoder 4 964 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady