Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU vs NAU for Masters (Cybersecurity)
Hi Everyone
I was able to complete my BALS degree from TESU with guidance through this forum and would now like to get a MAsters degree in Cybersecurity/IA.

I am looking at WGU and NAU for their self paced competency based programs but unable to find any cheaper alternative courses which can then be transferred into one of those programs. I see EdX and Coursera offering several options but I'd like to know if someone has gone through the same path that I am choosing.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
-Asad
(06-21-2020, 01:07 PM)spoilt999 Wrote: I was able to complete my BALS degree from TESU with guidance through this forum and would now like to get a MAsters degree in Cybersecurity/IA.

I am looking at WGU and NAU for their self paced competency based programs but unable to find any cheaper alternative courses which can then be transferred into one of those programs. I see EdX and Coursera offering several options but I'd like to know if someone has gone through the same path that I am choosing.

Don't expect to be able to transfer alternative education credits towards a graduate degree at any school. It doesn't work the same as in undergraduate degrees.
  • First of all, there are very few sources of graduate-level alternative education credits out there, and even fewer places that will accept them.
  • Secondly, most graduate programs are highly restrictive in the amount and sources of transfer credits they allow. Many require you to complete all the credits within their program and don't allow any transfer credits at all. When they do allow transfer credits, it is usually a small number and will likely need to originate from a RA accredited graduate program.
As for WGU, they don't allow transfer credits towards any of their graduate degrees. It looks like NAU accepts transfer credits from resident graduate programs in certain circumstances (requires petitioning for special allowance), but I don't think that such credits can be applied towards competency-based degrees.

In either case, if you already have experience in Cybersecurity you should be able to move through either of these competency-based programs at an accelerated rate so there is limited value in completing credits elsewhere for transfer purposes anyway. More then likely it will end up taking longer that way.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
As I had advice from few cybersecurity experts, its more beneficial to get professional certifications like OSCP and others. It s more recognizable among those who are in the field because of the hands on experience than Masters in cybersecurity . Its just something to think about.
appreciate your take on it. What do you guys think of EC-Council University's Cyber security program. I think all it is, is that you pass all of their certs and you get the degree. I see the value in getting the certs but is the actual degree accredited?
Yup, EC-Council has their own "university" that is accredited, flexible, and online.  The website is: https://www.eccu.edu/
However, having said that, I usually don't recommend them as they're Nationally Accredited, not Regionally Accredited.  Further to that, their degree offerings are expensive compared to WGU or another competency based degree provider, unless you get one of their scholarships.  They do have partnership options though, you can get a double masters or even a masters & phd!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-22-2020, 04:17 PM)spoilt999 Wrote: appreciate your take on it. What do you guys think of EC-Council University's Cyber security program. I think all it is, is that you pass all of their certs and you get the degree. I see the value in getting the certs but is the actual degree accredited?

If i am not mistaken its NA. So i would get rather their CEH and other certifications since they allow you to pass HR. But I would look for degree in RA institution if its what you are going for
Thanks for the advice. I think I will go with NAU.I like their program which is more focused on academic writing compared to WGU's.
(06-21-2020, 01:07 PM)spoilt999 Wrote: Hi Everyone
I was able to complete my BALS degree from TESU with guidance through this forum and would now like to get a MAsters degree in Cybersecurity/IA.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
-Asad

Why do you want a degree in CyberSecurity? I have an MCIT in information security from NAU, the field is dominated by experience and certificates. No body asks for cyber security degree here. 

I don't know what is BALS but any BS CS or BS IT degree with CISA,CISM,CISSP certification will way way way more attractive to employer than an MS in cybersecurity.
Agree. Practical knowledge and good certifications enough to get a job. Most representatives in the field know cybersecurity degree will not prepare you for job. This money would be better spent somewhere else.
I am familiar with the certs and the IT industry which is why i didn't even had an associates degree until last year. My goal is to get a degree with the least amount of effort on my side. M in Cyber would be somewhat easy choice for me since I do a lot of cybersecurity work already.

BTW, I ended up applying to both NAU and WGU and decided that WGU would be the way to go for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 279 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 496 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 270 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,099 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,976 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,632 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 524 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,591 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,135 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 6 1,276 01-31-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: muca3