Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clubs and organizations at TESU
(07-15-2020, 05:15 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 12:44 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 12:29 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 12:16 PM)monchevy Wrote: APU (American Public University) does have a lot of student/alumni organizations, academic honor societies, clubs, etc. for online students.

What I find strange is that even for online students, community colleges charge crazy fees per credit hour for all the on-campus activities, such as student union, clubs and athletics. That's on top of separate per-hour technology fees, distance learning fees, registration fees, etc.

Not all community colleges do this. Maybe the ones in your area do. They don't in my area. Everyone pays technology fees at colleges nowadays it seems. All of the fees are money grabs because tuition doesn't cover all of their expenses. Many colleges are regulated so they can't raise tuition, but they can raise fees and hammer you with those. 

Many online programs have online alumni organization. Quite often it's on Facebook. Some have honor societies for online programs. That's up to the college to pursue and many haven't. Probably because not enough students have inquired to make it worth their time. 

What would an online club be for online students? A bunch of us chatting on Facebook or some other forum? Plenty of that out there already.

I've been searching nonstop for affordable RA credits all over the country, and very few don't have those insane fees. And not even per course... per hour. For services and activities you will never take part in. Distance learning fees and technology fees per hour in addition to doubled or tripled out-of-state tuition fees should more than cover my participation. 

I started a CC class last week that is nothing but auto-graded online quizzes, message board discussions, uploaded video journals and essays/papers. A week and a half and there has been no instructor interaction except to post assignments and due date reminders. She hasn't "taught" us a thing. The course content is entirely an online dump of generic material from elsewhere (even the message board discussion topics). Obviously she'll be grading essays, but other than that, this course is nothing I couldn't have gotten for free on Sophia.

Welcome to higher education! If you're looking at community colleges, those are public schools so they are taxpayer funded. Taxpayers pay a fortune into these systems. Out of staters are typically hit hard because you haven't paid into the system. There are a few in expensive online community colleges and 4 year schools out there. It all depends what courses you're looking for. 

I find that it's up to me to get what I want out of a class. It's not up to the instructor. It's up to me to do what I need to get what I want or need out of it.

I just meant that I assumed I was being charged all that money to cover the instructor's time and effort. In two weeks she hasn't interacted once, or even graded anything. That doesn't help me get much out of it. I get more out of free Sophia classes.
(07-16-2020, 11:02 AM)monchevy Wrote: I just meant that I assumed I was being charged all that money to cover the instructor's time and effort. In two weeks she hasn't interacted once, or even graded anything. That doesn't help me get much out of it. I get more out of free Sophia classes.

Not being graded in 2 weeks is really odd even for an online course. Have you reached out to the instructor? Maybe she's in COVID hot spot and could even have it? I would contact your advisor if you don't hear back from the instructor after contacting her. Something is definitely off there.
(07-16-2020, 01:51 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 11:02 AM)monchevy Wrote: I just meant that I assumed I was being charged all that money to cover the instructor's time and effort. In two weeks she hasn't interacted once, or even graded anything. That doesn't help me get much out of it. I get more out of free Sophia classes.

Not being graded in 2 weeks is really odd even for an online course. Have you reached out to the instructor? Maybe she's in COVID hot spot and could even have it? I would contact your advisor if you don't hear back from the instructor after contacting her. Something is definitely off there.

Oddly enough, she graded a few assignments from week 1 today! Not all, though. Oh, and it's a communication course.  Big Grin
(07-16-2020, 02:59 PM)monchevy Wrote:

Oddly enough, she graded a few assignments from week 1 today! Not all, though. Oh, and it's a communication course.  Big Grin

Stop it! LOL It is not a communications course. ROFL
(07-16-2020, 04:28 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 02:59 PM)monchevy Wrote:

Stop it! LOL It is not a communications course. ROFL

YESSSSSSSSSS!  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 17 2,488 04-21-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 598 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 496 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 518 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 272 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,320 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 247 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 398 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 307 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 285 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27