Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clueless liberal discussing economics
I don't trust politicians at all. They are just people, and I don't trust people to act in my best interests. I trust them to act in their own best interests. Also, the type of person that is willing and capable to run for office is usually not the type of person that I would want to be friends with. You can even see this in the local school board. Its a power trip.
Therefore, I believe these people should be as limited as possible in their power and they should be given the tiniest of budgets so they don't squander our hard earned money.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:I don't trust politicians at all. They are just people, and I don't trust people to act in my best interests. That is a sad commentary for your outlook on life. I trust them to act in their own best interests. Not everyone is self centered. Also, the type of person that is willing and capable to run for office is usually not the type of person that I would want to be friends with. I have many friends that have run for office in the local school board and in local government. All of them have done it because they want to help make things better for children or the local Middle Income families. You can even see this in the local school board. Its a power trip. There is not much power for these positions in my area
Therefore, I believe these people should be as limited as possible in their power Then who would have the power to make and enforce laws? You? they should be given the tiniest of budgets so they don't squander our hard earned money.

I believe you are doing too much stereotyping. Yes there are some bad Power hungry people in government, but not all are bad.

"The punishment which the wise suffer who refuse to take part in the government, is to live under the government of worse men."
-- Plato
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Our Constitution was created to protect us from these people. The founders knew that absolute power corrupts absolutely so they created a limited government with checks and balances.

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
Thomas Paine
Many of the traits required for election to a higher office -- charisma, non-stop self-promotion, significantly large ego, willingness to manipulate others -- are also signs of Narcissistic Personality Disorder and sometimes Antisocial Personality Disorder, aka Sociopathy or Psychopathy. The latter also have no concept of wrong and an inability to empathize with others. These same traits also make them drawn to roles like political leadership, where they can have a never-ending source of narcissistic supply.

NPD is estimated in about 6 percent (just under 1 in 15) of the population at large, and some studies put APD at 4 percent or roughly 1 in 25 people. That's pretty good odds that any random person is affected, and a population of politicians is rather self-selected to be more probable, IMO.

Given these odds, I think its vital to have a framework to defend against overzealous and/or predatory leaders. It's not pessimism, just scientifically justified realism.

Here's just one story about political narcissism: Narcissism can make politicians leaders ... and cheaters - USATODAY.com
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
Surely this trait is only present in Republicans though right? Democrats are angels right? Smile
I get your sarcasm. Smile

Neither side are angels, only the people who buy into the BS. I read through a great book right (never could remember the name, dammit) after the 2004 elections, written by a democrat strategist, discussing studies done on the psychology of party followers leading up to the election. One group was republican, one democrat, and they were shown quotes by either Bush or Kerry. The quotes either supported the position of the party looking at the quotes, or opposed their party's positions. It turns out that, when republicans were shown quotes by Bush that supported the republican position (and likewise democrats shown quotes by Kerry that supported their's) they got a significant dopamine shot and their brains lit up with happiness. But when shown a contradictory message, like a quote from Bush that opposed the republican party position, the party followers' brains were confused. Their brains lit up all over the place trying to sort out the message. But then they "justified" the statement somehow, and when they did that their brains emitted a massive dopamine shot. Party affiliation didn't matter, both sides justified their candidates statements and behavior and likewise condemned the other, even when the other supported their own position.

Moral of the study: We are human animals, prone to adopt illogical and even insane positions when placed in an "us-vs-them" framework.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
There will be a day when 1+1 no longer equals 2. Not long after that day will come another when we will find the answer to ALL problems.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Economics is a Social Science sanantone 9 1,103 03-05-2022, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  In Defense of a Liberal Education dewisant 7 1,909 02-10-2019, 01:10 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  2013 Family Economics and Discipleship Conference in St. Louis, MO degree4hbia 0 669 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: degree4hbia
  Who's Going to the 2013 Family Economics and Discipleship Conference in St. Louis, MO degree4hbia 3 902 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Last Post: starlinghunter
  Older students and the liberal arts Scholar Interrupted 67 9,065 04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Last Post: PonyGirl93
  Liberal Arts degrees april004 49 6,240 04-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Last Post: MA2
  liberal agenda- social sciences cookderosa 6 2,030 02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Last Post: kimberlyaz
  Theory behind liberal arts Urbannaja 2 1,726 09-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Last Post: lspahn
  BS Liberal Studies or BS Liberal Arts?? 0 844 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: