Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clueless liberal discussing economics
Oh, we all have some privilege, and most or all of us reading here probably have some generational wealth and privilege. We'll just disagree on what to do with it sometimes.

In the meantime, let's keep doing what we're doing here helping each other with access to higher education, in a way that kind of wonderfully works on both liberal and conservative grounds. Smile
I agree Jonathan. There are very many good hearted liberals and conservatives in this world. I wouldn't hesitate to help someone just because they disagree with my views on the role of government. Many very smart people disagree with me and I would have it no other way.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Quote:Sometimes when I speak about limited government, my liberal friends tend to say things like "well maybe we should just get rid of all the poor people" as if I don't care about poor people. And when I propose cutbacks in spending, they look at me as if I don't care about the future of America. Of course I care about the future. I care a great deal.

Upset that the other side caricatures your position. Totally understand.

Quote:The liberal answer to every problem is to create a government agency, pass regulations and spend tax dollars.
Liberals demean and villify those who they see as having generational wealth and privilege.

Caricaturing the position of the other side. Dang.

(quotes not all by the same person, but from the same position)

FWIW there are a lot of idiots at OWS. But what is lost by only reading/watching the coverage (not just news coverage either) from only one side is that there are actually very valid complaints coming out of OWS, they just get lost in all the noise.

For example, a key complaint of OWS is that corporations have too much influence in government policy. Corporations want a better position so they lobby government (read: bribe politicians) to change the laws to benefit them. This means writing more laws, making government larger and more complex, to scratch corporate backs.

Hmm... Larger, more complex, less effective government, who on earth complains about that?

See, OWS is complaining about one of the main root causes of what the Tea Party complains about. But nobody ever points THAT out because its easier to get lost in the demagoguery. And, frankly, there's a lot of stupid people there who get on TV, and then there's the whole anarchist thug angle, a product of the more radical left's idea of "being open and accepting of everyone" regardless of their intent, but the fundamental complaint is very valid and feeds into the Tea Party problem.

As an example of corporate cronyism, Nancy Pelosi, who supports OWS and derides corporations, took a multi-million dollar bribe (no other way to describe it) from Visa. Visa let Pelosi in on a sweetheart ultra-exclusive IPO (the most sought after IPO at the time, no less) that made her millions, in exchange for blocking votes on credit card reform. John Murtha was under FBI investigation for massive corruption bordering on outright fraud but died before anything could come of it. Republicans do this stuff too, just take a look at the ones indicted just for bribery in the past decade or so. It's called influence peddling, and it's a major reason why a lot of people get into office.

They then play a smoke-and-mirrors game, waving their fists and screaming at each other on TV to satisfy their constituents, then patting each other on the back and playing golf together. We are being fed a lie daily by politicians and corporations who manipulate each other, and we as human beings are crushed between them and left on the side of the road, only remembered every few years for re-election season.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
Quote:They then play a smoke-and-mirrors game, waving their fists and screaming at each other on TV to satisfy their constituents, then patting each other on the back and playing golf together. We are being fed a lie daily by politicians and corporations who manipulate each other, and we as human beings are crushed between them and left on the side of the road, only remembered every few years for re-election season.

It really is pathetic the amount of talk versus the amount of actual action on both sides.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
How about less action? Maybe we should do what Texas does and have a part time legislature. Stocks rally when congress is not in session.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:How about less action? Maybe we should do what Texas does and have a part time legislature. Stocks rally when congress is not in session.

How about part time and no pay! Lets see how many takers there will be for that job. Smile
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
alleycat Wrote:How about part time and no pay! Lets see how many takers there will be for that job. Smile
In New Mexico, the 112 state legislators - 70 Representatives and 42 Senators - are all unsalaried volunteers, though their receive small per diems and IRS standard mileage allowances.

In New Hampshire, the 424 state legislators - 400 Representatives and 24 Senators - are each paid all of $200 per two-year session.

Legislative Pay: Good Wage For Some, Others' Pin Money (Tiffany Danitz, Stateline, January 25, 2001; I checked the NM and NH information since.)

(Edited: NM example added subsequent to alleycat's response below.)
Jonathan Whatley Wrote:In New Hampshire, the 424 state legislators - 400 Representatives and 24 Senators - are each paid all of $200 per two-year session.

You are correct Jonathan. They all do it for the connections that it allows.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Well, that certainly helps, especially in New Hampshire with its nationally significant primaries. But there must be some good will and interest in service and policy motivating some folks there, too! :p
Jonathan Whatley Wrote:Well, that certainly helps, especially in New Hampshire with its nationally significant primaries. But there must be some good will and interest in service and policy motivating some folks there, too! :p

We are already having the candidates coming through for the meet and greets. It is quite painful to watch.
You are also correct by saying some of our people do serve for the greater good. But not all.

BA Humanities - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Economics is a Social Science sanantone 9 1,080 03-05-2022, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  In Defense of a Liberal Education dewisant 7 1,870 02-10-2019, 01:10 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  2013 Family Economics and Discipleship Conference in St. Louis, MO degree4hbia 0 662 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Last Post: degree4hbia
  Who's Going to the 2013 Family Economics and Discipleship Conference in St. Louis, MO degree4hbia 3 885 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Last Post: starlinghunter
  Older students and the liberal arts Scholar Interrupted 67 9,007 04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Last Post: PonyGirl93
  Liberal Arts degrees april004 49 6,200 04-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Last Post: MA2
  liberal agenda- social sciences cookderosa 6 2,022 02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Last Post: kimberlyaz
  Theory behind liberal arts Urbannaja 2 1,715 09-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Last Post: lspahn
  BS Liberal Studies or BS Liberal Arts?? 0 837 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: