Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Algebra
Where is the best place to take college algebra? I'm talking about for someone who has difficulty learning Algebra. I actually want to learn the subject matter and feel confident in my ability, something that could teach me the subject matter. Cost is not a huge issue here as long it isn't $500 or something crazy like that.

Options:

study.com
ed4credit
sophia.org
saylor.org
CLEP (using modern states)
DSST (use modern states to prep?)
TECEP
straighterline
Davar
B&M CC
Online CC
Other???

Wow there are a lot of options!
Phoenix.sophia.org has foundations of college algebra for free. It won't transfer to tesu for credit but it's a good way to begin learning it. Also, Khan academy has lots of great materials to help you prep. If it were me, I'd take advantage of all the free material out there to learn it at my own pace, then test out of the class using the cheapest and/or most convenient method available to me. CLEP/MS is potentially free.

There's also aleks which only costs $20 per month and is ACE approved.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Muldoon
(11-21-2018, 01:46 PM)natshar Wrote: Where is the best place to take college algebra? I'm talking about for someone who has difficulty learning Algebra. I actually want to learn the subject matter and feel confident in my ability, something that could teach me the subject matter. Cost is not a huge issue here as long it isn't $500 or something crazy like that.

Options:

study.com
ed4credit
sophia.org
saylor.org
CLEP (using modern states)
DSST (use modern states to prep?)
TECEP
straighterline
Davar
B&M CC
Online CC
Other???

Wow there are a lot of options!

As someone who has dyscalculia, I found ALEKS worked out really well for me for learning math subjects as part of earning college credit. Though Khan Academy is also a great resource for learning math skills in general (you just don't earn credits for it).
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon
(11-21-2018, 01:56 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Phoenix.sophia.org has foundations of college algebra for free. It won't transfer to tesu for credit but it's a good way to begin learning it. Also, Khan academy has lots of great materials to help you prep. If it were me, I'd take advantage of all the free material out there to learn it at my own pace, then test out of the class using the cheapest and/or most convenient method available to me. CLEP/MS is potentially free.

Thanks. I'm looking for something would actually earn me college credit. Also, I used ALEKS at Community college as a tool for my blended (half online, half in person) Statistics class and wasn't a fan.

Right now I'm leaning towards the CLEP, unless the DSST was known to be an easier pass. Also, I have a study.com membership so I could use the course and not take the final as a tool too. Thats what I'm thinking of doing, but I wanted to hear other thoughts first.
I would suggest finding a good text with a solutions manual, not just answers. When you don't need a newer edition, they are dirt cheap. There's really no substitute for doing a significant number of problems, and being able to see exactly how they SHOULD have been done when you get lost. Also consider getting tutoring, if needed.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Muldoon
ALEKS is $19.99. I would start with that and go from there
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
There are so many free resources to learn the material that I would recommend using them to learn it so that you can seek different explanations from different places when something doesn't make sense from one. Then do the Modern States practice questions, use the CLEP voucher and voila, three free credits that you can tailor to your own learning style.

The resources I used were IC and, when I didn't know how to do something, YayMath. If I had known then what I know now I would've used Khan Academy as the basis of my studying, possibly the free Sophia course to help study, and of course Modern States to save myself the $100
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Muldoon
(11-21-2018, 01:59 PM)natshar Wrote:
(11-21-2018, 01:56 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Khan academy has lots of great materials to help you prep. If it were me, I'd take advantage of all the free material out there to learn it at my own pace, then test out of the class using the cheapest and/or most convenient method available to me. CLEP/MS is potentially free.

Thanks. I'm looking for something would actually earn me college credit. Also, I used ALEKS at Community college as a tool for my blended (half online, half in person) Statistics class and wasn't a fan.

Right now I'm leaning towards the CLEP, unless the DSST was known to be an easier pass. Also, I have a study.com membership so I could use the course and not take the final as a tool too. Thats what I'm thinking of doing, but I wanted to hear other thoughts first.

I agree with MNomadic, taking it through a free source like Khan Academy is a great way to get the material covered to pass the CLEP.  The DSST is supposed to be easier, which is probably why TESU brings it in as Intermediate Algebra while they bring the CLEP in as College Algebra.  So it depends on which one you need, and what your school will count each one as.

I did use ALEKS to pass College Algebra, and thought it was fairly hard - but not as hard at Stats.

If you have study.com, that's the option I would use - and I'd just use it to get credit, why go all the way through the course and then not take the final?  Unless your school won't take Study.com, then it's a great option.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
http://patrickjmt.com/#algebra

https://www.khanacademy.org/math

https://www.amazon.com/Finite-Math-Dummi...or+dummies

https://www.excelsior.edu/exams/contempo...athematics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,246 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,873 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,399 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 822 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Dyscalculia and Sophia.org Algebra and Stats retro 10 870 09-29-2023, 05:16 AM
  Study.com acquires Enhanced Prep (K-12 tutoring, College Prep Provider) bjcheung77 5 791 03-05-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Study.com and Sophia Partner College Transcripts? acamp 17 1,820 02-12-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Fastest/Cheapest way to obtain college credit for CPA License (Massachusetts) Fastestwaytopcpa 1 872 10-18-2022, 11:07 PM