Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Algebra CLEP Prep - Saylor or Study.com?
Hi guys! I'm not the best at algebra, mostly because I stopped at geometry in high school, and stuck with mainly business math and finance classes in college (the first time around). I know that I'm capable, but I'm super rusty and I think there are many subjects in College Algebra that I've never learned.

I really want to pass this CLEP. I'm going to back to nursing school and it's a required class. It'll save me money and time to CLEP out of it (not prep time since I do need to learn the subject, but time that I won't have to wait to schedule it through a school). I have passed a few CLEPs before, including HG&D, English Comp w/essay, psych, and sociology. I'm taking A&I in the next couple of weeks. 

The clincher is, I need a 60 to pass for my school to take the College Algebra CLEP (any CLEPs, really).

I've been buzzing around between different ways to prep and I need to pick a main study format. I plan on going through the Modern States class, but I'm not sure, given my starting point, if that will be enough. I'm thinking about first going through either Saylor's class, or through the Math 101: College Algebra course through Study.com first. 

Which would you recommend? Has anyone studied for this test using mainly either of these sources? The free vs. cost part of the equation is irrelevant in my case as I already have a Study.com subscription to help me prep for some other classes. 

Thanks so much for any help! Smile
I meant to say. I havent done the study.com or saylor, but i did do aleks because it is recommended a lot here and I found it to be easier than taking it in school. I'm really bad at math and it forces you to learn(in a good way) and you get ace credit for it.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 1 user Likes ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • tifferbugz
(10-26-2018, 08:28 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I meant to say. I havent done the study.com or saylor, but i did do aleks because it is recommended a lot here and I found it to be easier than taking it in school. I'm really bad at math and it forces you to learn(in a good way) and you get ace credit for it.

Thank you! I've used Aleks before for a statistics class for my business bachelor's. I really enjoyed the program. I'm kind of hoping for something I won't have to pay extra for, but Aleks has definitely been on my mind for this one. That they are still approved by ACE is great. I'm not sure this school will take ACE credits (they won't take Straighterline, sadly), so I'm not sure how open they are to ACE.

I might only do my LPN through them and finish my RN elsewhere, but I'd like to plan for the toughest route, just in case. 

Thanks again for your suggestion.
I used Instant Cert and when I didn't know how to do something I watched the Yay Math video on the subject. I got a 73. Your mileage may vary and there are other options that I can't speak to, but that was what worked really well for me.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 2 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • acamp, tifferbugz
(10-26-2018, 08:42 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I used Instant Cert and when I didn't know how to do something I watched the Yay Math video on the subject. I got a 73. Your mileage may vary and there are other options that I can't speak to, but that was what worked really well for me.

Thank you! I will definitely incorporate InstantCert toward the end of my prep, at the very least. Thank you for the Yay Math suggestion. That's a new-to-me site.
Why not try Saylor, since it's free? If you don't like it, then try Study.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • tifferbugz
(10-27-2018, 03:29 AM)davewill Wrote: Why not try Saylor, since it's free? If you don't like it, then try Study.

Thank you, I actually did go through the first section last night and really liked the format. Since I'm keeping Study.com anyway for other classes I may just use it to supplement the Saylor class. Although Aleks is very tempting just for the number of problems you can go through with good explanations. Practice really makes perfect with math.
Khan Academy is free, and thorough.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • tifferbugz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 257 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 213 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 699 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 196 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 307 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 620 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM