Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Algebra Sophia and CLEP College Algebra
Hey everyone!

College Algebra

I'm planning to knock out this course soon on Sophia but I also wanted to take the College Algebra CLEP as a backup. I know many people say this is a easy course on Sophia but math is definitely not my strong suit and Ive been out of high school for many years so the concepts of Algebra are long forgotten with me. I believe in order to satisfy the math requirement at UMPI I have to pass College Algebra and Statistics at Sophia for it to count for credit at UMPI, however if this incorrect please let me know what i should take..

Thanks
Dave
(08-14-2022, 10:30 AM)davemodular Wrote: Hey everyone!

College Algebra

I'm planning to knock out this course soon on Sophia but I also wanted to take the College Algebra CLEP as a backup. I know many people say this is a easy course on Sophia but math is definitely not my strong suit and Ive been out of high school for many years so the concepts of Algebra are long forgotten with me. I believe in order to satisfy the math requirement at UMPI I have to pass College Algebra and Statistics at Sophia for it to count for credit at UMPI, however if this incorrect please let me know what i should take..

Thanks
Dave

You don't need both College Algebra (which is accepted as MAT 117) and Intro. to Statistics (which is accepted as MAT 101). They'd both fulfill the same requirement (3A, 3B): https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • davemodular
Math is not an easy subject for me as well... If you really wanted to knock out College Algebra in addition to Stats, you can do them both on Sophia.org as they're not proctored. It'll be easier if you take your time to learn the material more by reading through their transcript or pdf files and if you need additional study material, there is also Khan Academy and other resources online.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • davemodular, Pikachu
(08-14-2022, 12:21 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Math is not an easy subject for me as well...  If you really wanted to knock out College Algebra in addition to Stats, you can do them both on Sophia.org as they're not proctored.  It'll be easier if you take your time to learn the material more by reading through their transcript or pdf files and if you need additional study material, there is also Khan Academy and other resources online.

Thank you for the response. I will most likely just take College Algebra at Sophia. Seems like the best method. Thanks
Which degree are you going for? All of them do not require College Algebra. You don't have to take stats.
(08-14-2022, 01:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: All of them do not require College Algebra.

Little nitpick: the way this is phrased makes it sound like no UMPI degrees require College Algebra. While it's true that you can take Calculus or Precalc to meet GEC requirements, College Algebra is the easiest way to meet this requirement for many degrees.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • davemodular, origamishuttle, Pikachu
(08-14-2022, 01:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Which degree are you going for? All of them do not require College Algebra. You don't have to take stats.

Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Management Information Systems Minor - Does this degree require College Algebra and if it by chance does not, then what math does it require?

https://online.umpi.edu/degrees/undergra...ems-minor/
Why would you need a backup? Why wouldn't Sophia's College Algebra course be enough?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-14-2022, 01:51 PM)davemodular Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 01:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Which degree are you going for? All of them do not require College Algebra. You don't have to take stats.

Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Management Information Systems Minor - Does this degree require College Algebra and if it by chance does not, then what math does it require?

For the BLS, College Algebra on Sophia is the easiest way to the fulfill the GEC. Sophia has like 4 different sets of videos for College Algebra so you're likely to find one instructor who you can follow really well. I liked Anthony and used his videos for each lesson. I wrote each problem out with paper and pencil until I got it right. Math is not my strongest subject by any means. Sophia was MUCH easier than taking it at a community college which I also did years ago.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • davemodular, origamishuttle, Pikachu
(08-14-2022, 02:15 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 01:51 PM)davemodular Wrote:

For the BLS, College Algebra on Sophia is the easiest way to the fulfill the GEC. Sophia has like 4 different sets of videos for College Algebra so you're likely to find one instructor who you can follow really well. I liked Anthony and used his videos for each lesson. I wrote each problem out with paper and pencil until I got it right. Math is not my strongest subject by any means. Sophia was MUCH easier than taking it at a community college which I also did years ago.

Out of curiosity is there a degree at UMPI that does not require College Algebra? If so what degree is that? I say this because I was under the impression that College Algebra was the lowest math allowed for admission.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow GEC Critical & Creative Thinking Learning Objective D - Sophia equivalents? mythomagician 2 63 10 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 840 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 197 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM
  Sophia Classes for BA Psych? CollegeBraveB 2 282 03-01-2024, 09:10 PM
  BABA v BLS Project Management - All Sophia Jbpooles1024 5 775 02-04-2024, 02:17 PM
  UMaine ranked among top institutions nationally in 2024 college guides LevelUP 3 478 02-03-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Does CLEP College Composition MODULAR transfer? octoco 2 318 01-11-2024, 10:25 PM
  BABA MAT 140 Requirement and Learning Objective 3A, 3B - Covered by Sophia Calculus? FM1 13 1,062 12-14-2023, 04:56 PM
Last Post: ishady
  Microbiology from Sophia Broooke 4 442 11-12-2023, 12:17 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia UL Classes Accepted at UMPI mohelena02 4 956 11-04-2023, 08:32 PM
Last Post: mohelena02