Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Algebra and fast
Hi all, 

I am right at the finish line in wrapping up my BSBA through TESU. I've knocked out something like 40+ ACE tests and have only needed to take a handful of course with TESU. Very satisfied with TESU and the flexibility of transferring my credits to them. 

That being said the last course I need is College Algebra. If I'm able to complete it by the end of the month I can meet the deadline for December graduation. Say you could treat studying like a full time job and could set aside 8 hours a day to study. What would you recommend? I've heard Khan Academy's course might go too far in their material while ModernStates doesn't go far enough. I prefer videos for learning but I know math is rather involved and often times works better with a textbook, pencil, and paper. 

I have an advising appointment with TESU this week just to ensure they would be able to receive credit from Saylor in time for the graduation deadline. If not, I suppose it looks like I'll have another month to study.

Thanks in advance.
Sophia - https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/ma...-algebra-3
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Technically you got till November 1st to get the algebra course done and added to your transcript.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(09-13-2022, 01:00 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Technically you got till November 1st to get the algebra course done and added to your transcript.

Could you explain that? I'll make sure I clarify with an advisor but since I plan on taking it as an ACE test will it show up as a transfer credit in time for December graduation? It looks like they will just have to mark the credit as planned but I'm worried that if I was to take it through Saylor or Sophia that it wouldn't transfer in time.

https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation

(09-13-2022, 12:28 PM)allvia Wrote: Sophia - https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/ma...-algebra-3

Thanks. How much time would you say it takes to complete this course?
Sophia or CLEP. How long it takes you to complete College Algebra on Sophia is up to you. It takes a different amount of time for everyone. It took me 3 weeks because I wasn't that interested and was taking other classes I was interested in at the same time. Some people could finish it in 3 days and others 3 months.
@petethejuggler, you can finish the last course by the end of the month, I would break it down into 15 day chunks of 2 hours or less a day. You need to apply for graduation by October 1, the transcripts needs to be approved by November 1, thus these dates are critical. Apply by Oct 1, all transcripts by Nov 1, graduate December!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-13-2022, 01:33 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @petethejuggler, you can finish the last course by the end of the month, I would break it down into 15 day chunks of 2 hours or less a day.  You need to apply for graduation by October 1, the transcripts needs to be approved by November 1, thus these dates are critical.  Apply by Oct 1, all transcripts by Nov 1, graduate December!

Perfect. Thank you.

(09-13-2022, 01:30 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Sophia or CLEP. How long it takes you to complete College Algebra on Sophia is up to you. It takes a different amount of time for everyone. It took me 3 weeks because I wasn't that interested and was taking other classes I was interested in at the same time. Some people could finish it in 3 days and others 3 months.

I'm just about done with my Capstone so I'll be able to provide my full attention and efforts to College Algebra. I've never used Sophia before so I'm hoping I like the format of their courses.

By the way, I just wanted to say thank you to all of you. The level of insight and expertise always provided so quickly in these forums always amazes me. Signing up for Sophia right now and applying for graduation later this week. Thank you again!
[-] The following 2 users Like petethejuggler's post:
  • allvia, ss20ts
I did sophia algebra in 9 days. My wife in 5 and it bugs me. LOL
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
UPDATE: Wow. You all were right about Sophia. Just completed the course with an 88%. Before this I had used Khan Academy thinking I would take College Algebra as a CLEP or TECEP but I never felt comfortable with it. I've heard that Khan Academy is a bit too extensive in their material while ModernStates is lacking. This is probably true. I was impressed with how much I already knew when doing the Sophia course.
[-] The following 1 user Likes petethejuggler's post:
  • allvia
So since this was my first Sophia course I'm a little confused by the transfer process. I got an email from Sophia after completing the course that TESU needs an official transcript from ACE. The link it gives me in the email sends me to part of the ACE website that has nothing to do with actually requesting an official transcript.

I come here to search the forums and find out I have to make a Credly account. I do that and claimed my credit. Will this automatically be sent to TESU via Credly or is there anything else I need to do on my end?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,252 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,882 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,410 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 553 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 823 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Dyscalculia and Sophia.org Algebra and Stats retro 10 873 09-29-2023, 05:16 AM
  Study.com acquires Enhanced Prep (K-12 tutoring, College Prep Provider) bjcheung77 5 791 03-05-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Study.com and Sophia Partner College Transcripts? acamp 17 1,820 02-12-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Fastest/Cheapest way to obtain college credit for CPA License (Massachusetts) Fastestwaytopcpa 1 872 10-18-2022, 11:07 PM