Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
College Composition Essay HELP
Hi there!
I am taking College Composition in 6 days and I'm super nervous:/ I've never really had a problem with "creative writing". But the example essays in the back of my REA book seem very rigidly structured, to-the-point, and technical. So in preparation for the test (which is by the way in SIX DAYS!!!) I looked up an essay prompt and timed myself with 35 minutes to write my essay. Guys I feel like I'm jumping off the deep end here, and I'd love some feedback because one thing REA doesn't have is a way to grade the practice essays. Please be brutally honest. Tell me what to do or what to not do. I can take itWink

Okey doke, here's my prompt:
Think carefully about the issue presented in the following excerpt and the assignment below.

Common sense tells us that people tend to get along better with those who are like them, who think and act as they do. Many people, however, get along very well with people who are very different from them and may prefer to associate with those whose views and actions are different from their own. In fact, some people even complain that they are bored and irritated by those who are too much like them.

Assignment: Do people tend to get along better with people who are very different from them or with those who are like them? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken from your reading, studies, experience, or observations.

And here's my essay:
Opposites: Do they attract?

We are often fed the blanket statement “opposites attract”. Of course this is not always the case one hundred percent of the time. Yet it does seem true widely true. Can you think of any couples you know, for example, who seem to have dynamically different personalities? I certainly can.
As a matter of fact, my great grandparents were one of those quintessential opposite couples. Mostly lovingly, my great grandmother would take charge of the situation; she was the boss. Following the stereotype, my great grandfather would sit back and let her take the reins. They stayed married for over 50 years. I often wonder, though, if it was always a happy relationship. Certainly there were times when it seemed to the outsider very much like they were fighting. On the flip side of the attracting opposite mentality, is the notion that people with congruent likes, passions, and personalities tend to gravitate toward each other. I once had a 78-year-old woman impart wisdom to me, regarding her marriage of 60 plus years. Her biggest piece of advice? “Make sure you share a similar disposition.” Though I thought it random at the time, the principal certainly seemed to be working for her and her husband! Culturally I can see this ideology surrounding me today. With tools like matchmaking websites and apps, there seems to be a crowd of people looking for others who are like themselves.
So which is better? Does congregating with like-minded humans breed more happiness and contentment? Or does broadening your horizons through the friendship of those who are different produce lasting relationships? I can honestly say there are merits to each way of thinking. Perhaps it is unhelpful to make such overreaching statements as “all opposites attract” or “find someone like yourself”. For a moment, I believe we should reflect on the fact that all human souls are different. All human souls, therefore, need different kinds of relationships to build them up. This brings me to an old proverb; “iron sharpens iron”. Such a short verse this is, yet it holds so much truth.
Truly, can we be our best selves if there is never someone pushing, sharpening, and refining us to do so? I’ve often had my flaws pointed out, whether directly through discourse or indirectly through an opposing personality. Simple as it may sound, how could we even know our flaws were there if they were never brought to light? In a broader and more abstract sense, think of your worldview. Has it progressed over the years? Have you grown? I would argue that if you answered yes, that is largely due to the influence and refinement produced by encounters with those who are different from yourself.
Coming back to friendships, these are longer lasting when the two parties are varying in disposition. Friends who mirror you may make good short-term “feel good” companions. But the friend who makes you a better person, who expands your views and broadens your horizons, that is the soul you will treasure forever. Let’s recognize the truth: so long as they are not diabolically opposed, types of people who differ make the best long term companions, couples, and friends.
I couldn't identify an overall thesis statement for the essay. You do finally take a stand in the last paragraph, but you don't tie it to any arguments you made in the body. It helps greatly to state your thesis up front, then support it as you go. Then the end is more of a summary and conclusion.

You are asking lots of questions, when you're supposed to be providing an opinion. I liked the examples in the middle, but I would have separated them into two paragraphs and tied each example to a particular point. The way they are they kind of meld together, and you seem to be saying nothing for certain.

Take a stand then support it. You don't have to be right, indeed there is no "right" answer, but you do have to cogently support a specific viewpoint.

P.S., I have no idea what "diabolically opposed" means exactly, but I kind of like it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:P.S., I have no idea what "diabolically opposed" means exactly.

Did you mean "diametrically opposed" here?
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
Flelm Wrote:Did you mean "diametrically opposed" here?
I figured that, but diabolically sounds more interesting!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • a2jc4life
I believe a more formal writing style would be more appropriate. For example, instead of I can honestly say there are merits, I would write I believe there are merits or you could simply write, There are merits . Since you are sharing your opinion the "I believe" is easily inferred by the reader. Also, leave out words like Perhaps.

Also, one or two rhetorical questions may be okay in an essay, but you have a lot of questions here. I would not use them. You aren't asking the reader to think about their opinion so much as making a case for your own. Don't ask So which is better? Offer an explanation for which one you think is better.

I just did a very quick rewrite of the first few lines in your essay to help give you an idea of the tone of it. One thing I noticed while doing so is a contradiction in the way the grandparents are described. You mention that the grandmother takes charge and the grandfather sits back and lets her do so, but they fight. Did they fight about a power struggle? Or something else entirely. Because if it was the power struggle, then he didn't "sit back and let her take the reins". The main thing is to have internal consistency in what you are saying so you may need a little more explanation there. Maybe they fought because she got tired of him just "sitting back" or maybe it only appears like fighting from the outside, but they weren't really doing so.

Opposite Attract is a well-known clichà frequently offered as an explanation to explain successful relationships between couples with dynamically different personalities. We all know couples who fit this relationship dynamic. The question is, are these relationships successful?

My great grandparents fit this dynamic well. My great grandmother always took charge of every situation and my great grandfather was happy to sit back and let her take the reins. They were married for over fifty years, but to outsiders it may have appeared as though they were frequently fighting.

Just note, my rewrite isn't perfect, it's just to give you some ideas on how to proceed. Good luck!
Haha yes! that would make more sense, wouldn't itWink
That's so helpful, thank you! You're correct about the lines on my great grandparents. I should've elaborated more... I think the "formal style" is what's most intimidating to me, but your example is great.

On the subject of taking a stance right from the beginning...I was taught the Excellence in Writing style by Andrew Pudewa, which teaches that you should never come out and state where you stand until the last paragraph. He says that you should sort of debate each side first, then convince the reader at the end. The format I learned is 1) Explore various ideas/concepts 2) Settle on which side you take and 3) Soldier (battle) for that viewpoint. Would you say that's not really what the teachers grading these essays are looking for??? Because stating my point right up front does seem contrary to what I was taught, but if it gets me the grade, I guess I don't care right now!
acemytest7 Wrote:That's so helpful, thank you! You're correct about the lines on my great grandparents. I should've elaborated more... I think the "formal style" is what's most intimidating to me, but your example is great.

On the subject of taking a stance right from the beginning...I was taught the Excellence in Writing style by Andrew Pudewa, which teaches that you should never come out and state where you stand until the last paragraph. He says that you should sort of debate each side first, then convince the reader at the end. The format I learned is 1) Explore various ideas/concepts 2) Settle on which side you take and 3) Soldier (battle) for that viewpoint. Would you say that's not really what the teachers grading these essays are looking for??? Because stating my point right up front does seem contrary to what I was taught, but if it gets me the grade, I guess I don't care right now!

Your final paragraph should contain a conclusion, but your introductory paragraph needs a thesis. The thesis and conclusion are strongly tied to each other. Explore various/ideas concepts is just not tight enough for a short essay. That might be something you do in a 50 pages thesis paper. In a short essay, you want to explore one idea or maybe two ideas if you are going to compare and contrast and then pick a side.

The introductory paragraph should also include the thesis statement, a kind of mini-outline for the paper: it tells the reader what the essay is about. The last sentence of this paragraph must also contain a transitional "hook" which moves the reader to the first paragraph of the body of the paper. - this page sets out the expectations that you can expect for this exam nicely.

The standard for this type of writing is outlined in The Elements of Style by Strunk & White. It would be a great idea to get a copy of this book at some point, but you can get a good overview of what's expected from the following version:
https://faculty.washington.edu/heagerty/...kWhite.pdf
They're looking for a basic five paragraph essay here, so you need to have your thesis in the introduction. Don't try to get fancy or stylistic with it - state your thesis, give three supporting examples, and then a conclusion. I'm an English teacher, so this is my perspective - first off, you're asking way too many rhetorical questions. It's generally not a great idea to use rhetorical questions at all, because it's not technically proper to address the reader in your writing. So instead of "Can you think of any couples you know, for example, who seem to have dynamically different personalities?" I would say "Most people can think of many couples that have dynamically different personalities."

Another issue is your organization of ideas. Your paragraphs are wayyy too abstract and wishy-washy. It seems like you're trying to do something fancy here, when you really just need to stick to some concrete, specific examples. This isn't the place to analyze the nature of love. All you need to do is pick one side of the argument, pick 2-3 examples to support it, and then restate your firm opinion. So your great-grandparents could be one example, but in that paragraph, you don't have a strong, cohesive idea. Instead of 'i often wonder' or 'on the flip side,' stick to one idea per paragraph.

If I was writing this essay, here's how I'd organize it, starting with some of your ideas:
Quote:Many have heard the idea of "opposites attract." Of course, while this is not always the case, it is often widely true. Many couples have dynamically different personalities and get along with each other precisely because of their opposing viewpoints and perspectives. Though it may seem paradoxical, when it comes to relationships, people generally get along much better with those who see the world from a different point of view.

One clear example of this is my own great grandparents, a quintessentially "opposites attract" couple. My great grandmother was the kind of person to take charge of a situation in a loving way; she was the boss. My great grandfather would sit back and let her take the reins. They stayed married for over fifty years because their differing personalities made them a great team. If both of them had been stubborn leaders, they would have butted heads at every conflict. Yet because they each filled a different role, they were the perfect pair and lived together in harmony for decades.

Another example of this is the friendship of famous Beatles John Lennon and Paul McCartney. Despite both being musically talented with a wry sense of humor, their personalities often clashed greatly. Paul was a sensitive romantic, preferring to write upbeat songs about love. John, on the other hand, disliked this cloying sentimentality. He preferred to write music that was deep and politically profound. Though they both had differing opinions on this subject, when they worked together, John and Paul united their perspectives to create songs that are hailed critically and commercially as some of the best of all time. John helped Paul make his songs more culturally significant, while Paul helped John make the songs more in line with what the average person wanted to hear.

Though his characters are fictional, Mark Twain demonstrates this concept of opposites attracting in his characters of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. The rambunctious boys could not be more dissimilar; Tom comes from a loving household while Huck is the son of the raging town drunk. Tom has never known true struggle, while Huck never knows if he'll have a place to sleep at night. Because Tom goes to school and is raised by a moral guardian, he can reign Huck in, making sure his schemes never get too out of control. On the flip side, Huck provides Tom with a great sense of imagination and adventure. Both boys can learn from each other, and between Tom's respectful conformity and Huck's exciting freedom, their adventures and friendship grow great than they would be if they were both cut from the same cloth.

Overall, it is clear that relationships improve when the two parties vary in disposition. Friends who mirror you might make good short-term “feel good” companions. But the friend who makes you a better person, who expands your views and broadens your horizons, that is the soul you will treasure forever. As long as they are not diametrically opposed, types of people who differ make the best long term companions, couples, and friends.

Those are just suuuuuper random examples but do you see how each paragraph serves to support the same thesis, which I laid out immediately? I know what you're trying to say - that this is a very boring and overdone way of organizing thoughts - but for the 30 minute CLEP essay, it's all you need.
Following.  Great info!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,177 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,530 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,924 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 229 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 495 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 389 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 726 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 244 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 209 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor