Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Math CLEP vs. Statistics DSST if not strong in math...
Has anyone taken both and can compare the difficulties between the two tests?   Or any other advice on testing out of any general education math requirements?  My daughter has completed Algebra 2 in high school and did alright, but it was a fairly light curriculum and she does struggle with it so we were leaning toward credit for Lib arts math and/or Stats. Stats is recommended for her major, but not required.  Or are they both very difficult and  trying to test out is the wrong way to go???
They are very different, and not all schools will take College Math CLEP (although most will take the College Algebra CLEP). Stats is like a whole different ballgame (although most schools that take DSST will take that exam).

What is her major, and what school is she going to?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-22-2019, 05:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They are very different, and not all schools will take College Math CLEP (although most will take the College Algebra CLEP).  Stats is like a whole different ballgame (although most schools that take DSST will take that exam).

What is her major, and what school is she going to?

She is working toward an A.A. at Pensacola State College and transfer to University of West Florida for a degree in Elementary Education/Special Education.  I know PSC will take the College Math CLEP and give credit for either Lib Arts Math 1 or 2.   I have not checked on the DSST Stats yet, but I know they do take some DSST tests because my son did some DSST business tests for credits there years ago.  I suppose I should double check on that.  I have talked to UWF and at this point in time she just needs any math that fulfills general education requirements for an A.A. though the advisor at PSC said some schools are pushing toward Stats and Algebra, particularly Stats (which makes sense with all of the standardized testing going on).   She has already passed CLEP's for Psychology and Human Growth and Development and is working on Education Psychology now.    She is only allowed 2 more credit by exams after that and we were leaning toward math.
So I can't find it on PSC's website, but UWF does accept CLEP & DSST exams, and in the GE area, Liberal Arts Math is accepted.

So, I would check first, and then take the College Math CLEP or the Liberal Arts Math DSST exam. Stats is definitely going to be harder.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • S.Tesla
(05-22-2019, 07:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So I can't find it on PSC's website, but UWF does accept CLEP & DSST exams, and in the GE area, Liberal Arts Math is accepted.

So, I would check first, and then take the College Math CLEP or the Liberal Arts Math DSST exam.  Stats is definitely going to be harder.

https://www.dantes.doded.mil/documents/i...0Pg1-2.pdf

Another consideration is that the Pass rate for the CLEP College Math was 66%, while the DSST Math for Liberal Arts was only 5% and DSST Statistics was 27%.
[-] The following 2 users Like nosey561's post:
  • S.Tesla, suzycupcake
(05-22-2019, 05:32 PM)S.Tesla Wrote: Has anyone taken both and can compare the difficulties between the two tests?   Or any other advice on testing out of any general education math requirements?  My daughter has completed Algebra 2 in high school and did alright, but it was a fairly light curriculum and she does struggle with it so we were leaning toward credit for Lib arts math and/or Stats. Stats is recommended for her major, but not required.  Or are they both very difficult and  trying to test out is the wrong way to go???

College Math will require she brush up on what she already studied and maybe learn a couple new things. Stats would be starting from scratch. My vote is College Math.

She is at the right level academically (Algebra 2) now just get her to complete the Modern States College Algebra free course so she can get her voucher. That will also help her brush up on skills and learn a few new ones. If she feels completely overwhelmed in the MS course, you can hit up Khan Academy for supplementary content. https://modernstates.org/course/college-mathematics/

Like your daughter, I only needed a 100 level math for my degree, but had a hard time remembering everything for a single test. I opted to take a math class - which was more work of course, but the weight didn't land on my shoulders for ONE exam. So, I would certainly try for the CLEP first, but if she doesn't hit her score, she can do a class and will likely be fine.
(05-22-2019, 09:27 PM)nosey561 Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 07:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So I can't find it on PSC's website, but UWF does accept CLEP & DSST exams, and in the GE area, Liberal Arts Math is accepted.

So, I would check first, and then take the College Math CLEP or the Liberal Arts Math DSST exam.  Stats is definitely going to be harder.

Another consideration is that the Pass rate for the CLEP College Math was 66%, while the DSST Math for Liberal Arts was only 5% and DSST Statistics was 27%.

I took the Liberal Arts Math TECEP, and it was literally the easiest math test I've ever taken.  I mean, a little Algebra I and you are good to go.  So I can't imagine that the DSST pass rate is that low, I'm shocked.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 308 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 620 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 188 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor