Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Math vs. college algebra
Can both college math CLEP and college algebra (or its equivalent SaylorBeginningAlgebra) be used to fulfil the requirements for intellectual and practical skills? Not sure if College Math can only go under the Natural Sciences...? Also does Fundamentals of Algebra DSST duplicate with either of these? I'm speaking for TESC...

Also on Saylor's, it says "11 courses, 34 credits." Do any of ya'll know which one of the courses is 4 credits?

EDIT: Another question: Would the College Math CLEP alone satisfy the "college-level math course" requirement at TESC? I don't see why not, but two different students told me it won't.

Thanks...
Which degree? The requirements very by program . Also an alternative to Saylor, ALEKS is a really cool program, you pay 20$ and you can do as many classes as you want.

how it works is you take like a 30 question pretest that judges where you are. If you do really well on the Pretest you will have to do little to no work on the actual course.
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
keepsingin Wrote:Can both college math CLEP and college algebra (or its equivalent SaylorBeginningAlgebra) be used to fulfil the requirements for intellectual and practical skills? Not sure if College Math can only go under the Natural Sciences...? Also does Fundamentals of Algebra DSST duplicate with either of these? I'm speaking for TESC...

Also on Saylor's, it says "11 courses, 34 credits." Do any of ya'll know which one of the courses is 4 credits?

EDIT: Another question: Would the College Math CLEP alone satisfy the "college-level math course" requirement at TESC? I don't see why not, but two different students told me it won't.

Thanks...

Unless your degree has a specific math requirement, College Math counts. College Algebra does not duplicate.
They way you check is look at TESC's list, you'll see the course numbers differ CLEP - College-Level Exam Program (non duplicate) and that both have course numbers that are 100 level+.

Again, if your degree requires a specific math, like this one: BSBA in Accounting Degree at Thomas Edison State College, you'll have to meet the math requirement for the degree (not for the college. The college still accepts both and awards credit for both, they'll just slide into your "elective" slot).
If you really wanted to take advantage of the subject overlap this is what I have advised others to do:

MAT-102/203 CLEP College Mathematics
MAT-105 TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics
MAT-115 DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra* or ALEKS Intermediate Algebra (duplicate)
MAT-121 CLEP or ALEKS College Algebra
MAT-129 CLEP or ALEKS Precalculus or ALEKS Trigonometry (duplicate)
MAT-231 CLEP Calculus

Dependent upon your degree plan, you could also add 3 to 6 additional credits by taking:
STA-201 DSST Principles of Statistics or ALEKS Intro to Stats/Behavioral Stats/Business Stats (duplicate)
OPM-351 Saylor Business Statistics <- for business students this UL course will fit into the area of study (Gen Mgmt, Ops Mgmt) and business electives. At one time, in my degree plans 2009-2011, it was also considered natural science; but much has changed since then, check with advising

EDIT TO ADD:
BUS-161 DSST Business Mathematics <- can be used for both business and free electives.

That equals 15 to 30 (if you complete precalculus, calculus, and if you can use them - both stats and bus math) natural science/business credits. These courses will help fill the following sections: intellectual practice skills, human cultures and the natural and physical world, general education, business and free electives.

* Anyone hear anything about the DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra exam, it has been removed from TESCs DSST Exam List? Typo or something else?
DANTES

TESC Equivalent = MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra
(Source: College Catalog p74)

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I'm confused

are you saying someone could take all those math courses and get credit ?

I don't know about TESC, but Excelsior has a limit of 9 math credits below Calculus

bricabrac Wrote:If you really wanted to take advantage of the subject overlap this is what I have advised others to do:

MAT-102/203 CLEP College Mathematics
MAT-105 TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics
MAT-115 DSST Fundamentals of College Algebra* or ALEKS Intermediate Algebra (duplicate)
MAT-121 CLEP or ALEKS College Algebra
MAT-129 CLEP or ALEKS Precalculus or ALEKS Trigonometry (duplicate)
MAT-231 CLEP Calculus

Dependent upon your degree plan, you could also add 3 to 6 additional credits by taking:
STA-201 DSST Principles of Statistics or ALEKS Intro to Stats/Behavioral Stats/Business Stats (duplicate)
OPM-351 Saylor Business Statistics <- for business students this UL course will fit into the area of study (Gen Mgmt, Ops Mgmt) and business electives. At one time, in my degree plans 2009-2011, it was also considered natural science; but much has changed since then, check with advising

That equals 15 to 27 (if you complete precalculus, calculus & both stats) natural science/business credits that will help fill the following sections: intellectual practice skills, human cultures and the natural and physical world, general education, business and free electives.
[/URL]

TESC Equivalent = MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra
(Source: College Catalog p74)
keepsingin Wrote:I'm speaking for TESC...

bluebooger Wrote:I'm confused

are you saying someone could take all those math courses and get credit ?

I don't know about TESC, but Excelsior has a limit of 9 math credits below Calculus

Yes, at TESC you can use all the individual math-natsci/business credits listed. I used 24 MAT/STA credits in my degrees: MAT-102, 105, 115, 121, 129, and BUS-161; as well as STA-201 and OPM-351.

Oops forgot to add business math...there is a DSST exam for that course as well.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Totally agree with bricabrac!

From my personal experience TESC applied all next math courses to BA in CS degree and transcribed them as followed:

TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics - MAT- 105
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra - MAT-115
ALEKS College Algebra - MAT-121
ALEKS precalculus - MAT-129
Straighterline calculus I - MAT-231
Straighterline calculus II - MAT -232
ALEKS business statistics - STA -201
TESC Discrete Math - MAT -270
-------------------------------------------------------------
MAT -105,231,232 went to intellectual and practical skills electives
MAT -115,121,129, STA- 201 went to general education electives
MAT -270 - to the area of study.

So, apparently TESC doesn't have a limit of math credits.
wow,
that's a huge difference between TESC and Excelsior
(04-01-2015, 01:30 PM)lavagirl Wrote: Totally agree with bricabrac!

From my personal experience TESC applied all next math courses to BA in CS degree and transcribed them as followed:

TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics  - MAT- 105
ALEKS  Intermediate Algebra - MAT-115
ALEKS College Algebra - MAT-121
ALEKS precalculus - MAT-129
Straighterline calculus I - MAT-231
Straighterline calculus II - MAT -232
ALEKS business statistics - STA -201
TESC Discrete Math - MAT -270
-------------------------------------------------------------
MAT -105,231,232 went to intellectual and practical skills electives
MAT -115,121,129, STA- 201 went to general education electives
MAT -270 - to the area of study.

So, apparently TESC doesn't have a limit of  math credits.

I am wondering if this still holds true now that ALEKS is not an option.  For example, has anyone done the following recently and received credit for all four courses (we haven't settled on a major yet) 
CLEP:
College Math-TESU Equivalent~MAT 102 & 103
College Algebra-TESU Equivalent~ MAT 121
DSST:
Math of Liberal Arts-TESU Equivalent~MAT 105
Fundamentals of College Algebra-TESU Equivalent~ MAT 115
(02-10-2018, 01:10 PM)PAMHarris Wrote: I am wondering if this still holds true now that ALEKS is not an option.  For example, has anyone done the following recently and received credit for all four courses (we haven't settled on a major yet) 
CLEP:
College Math-TESU Equivalent~MAT 102 & 103
College Algebra-TESU Equivalent~ MAT 121
DSST:
Math of Liberal Arts-TESU Equivalent~MAT 105
Fundamentals of College Algebra-TESU Equivalent~ MAT 115

The absence of ALEKS didn't change anything.  Those courses still come in as they always have, and do not duplicate.

Now, because this is an old thread (3 years), the catalog is different, and so where the courses will fit may be different.  But all math is considered a Gen Ed, and will fit up top.  It will also go into the AOS of a BALS.  And of course, Free Electives.

There are also additional math courses available (although not always with the exact name):

MAT-102, 103 - College Math - CLEP, Saylor
MAT-105 - Math for Liberal Arts - DSST, TECEP, Study.com
MAT-110 Finite Math - Shmoop
MAT-115 Intermediate Algebra - Shmoop, DSST, Study.com
MAT-119 Quantitative Literacy/Business Math - Shmoop, Study.com
MAT-121 College Algebra - Saylor, Shmoop, CLEP, TECEP, SL, Study.com
MAT-129 Precalculus - Shmoop, CLEP, SL, Study.com
MAT-231 Calculus I - Saylor, Shmoop, CLEP, Study.com
MAT-260 Geometry - Study.com
MAT-361 Geometry - Shmoop
STA-201 Statistics - Saylor, Shmoop, DSST, TECEP, SL, Study.com
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 581 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,177 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,531 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,924 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 229 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 495 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 389 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 727 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 244 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP