Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Plus
My sister and I are using CollegePlus, and yes, we view it as a service to save us a lot of legwork and befuddlement. Sure, people can figure stuff out on their own, and many do. In my case, I am already up to my EARS in a million things, working, volunteering, etc., and didn't want the hassle and stress of figuring out exactly who/what/where/when/why/how associated with the degree. CollegePlus has made it very convenient for me. They helped me choose a major, plan my courses, advised me which courses to group together, recommended study resources for each course, etc. So pretty much all I've had to do so far (and granted I'm not enrolled yet, just getting my tests out of the way) is just study for the tests. I have a coach assigned to me that I can pester any time with questions and we have regular phone calls to assess progress and see what I need to do next.

So basically, it's someone to do your logistical thinking for you and save you time. In my case, time was actually more of a factor than money, so this option worked well for us. Maybe a college counselor would have done the exact same stuff for free....but we didn't know where to start to even find out about that. I didn't even learn about this forum until CollegePlus recommended it as a resource. Big Grin
I would also add that the coaches at College Plus! do a great job of keeping you motivated and on task. I had them for a year and really appriciated their expertise and encouragement. On the fliip side, I don't think that you need this service if you are a highly motivated and research type of person.

Farmerboy
Finished in December, 2008 with my BSBA from TESC

Current events dialogue @SamRust on Twitter
cinderly Wrote:I'm asking this in genuine curiosity - if their primary function is to map out a degree template, where's the value?

Maybe my brain is just wired very differently from others, but it seems to me that subscribing to the service is paying for someone else to gather freely-available information. Or do I misunderstand?

That's the beauty of the American Dream. You can start a business by selling information that is already available for free. I personally think it is a great idea. We have all had college counselors who don't do anything.

I can attribute my lack of interest and failure to finish my degree in a timely manner to my initial experience with a community college counselor who was absolutely of no help to me whatsoever.

I think that collegeplus is great and hope that many more will benefit from their service. Keep up the good work guys.

I am glad College Plus is around. Great idea. Highly recommend although I have never used it myself.
ImustStudy
----------------------------------------
A.S. Liberal Arts- Excelsior College 2007
B.S. Criminal Justice- Excelsior College 2008
M.B.A.- California Coast University 2012
EdS- Liberty University 2014
EdD- Liberty University 2016

Miscellaneous graduate coursework from University of The Rockies and California InterContinental University (that did me absolutely NO GOOD whatsoever)
Quote:*** Legal disclaimer; Breathing Plus TM is not affiliated in any way with "Walking Plus," "Talking Plus" or "Eating Plus." All rights reserved.

Lol! Very nice!

I agree with some in that I myself wouldn't use the service, but it IS a valid service. For those who, like studyhard and his sister, have the money to spare and the time they can't spare, it does provide a helping hand.

I personally started this path by coming across bain4weeks.com and doing a lot of reading and self study. The EC counselors are great, but I think we can all agree that they hardly hold your hand through the enrollment and test selection process when it comes to CLEP/DSST/ect. I personally find it refreshing that way, and I feel much more involved with my own educational plan.

I found IC only a few weeks ago, and it has helped more than I can say. The feedback and information I've found on these forums is priceless. (The flashcards aren't bad either Big Grin )

More power to those that run CollegePlus if the business model works.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
I started at BA in 4 weeks tooo.

That has got to be the greatest site for getting folks motivated to get their degree. It was for me.

If I was 18 and unemployed, I really think I could probably get my degree in a month by using that site.

I wish that BA in 4 weeks would uodate their site periodically though. Some things seem dated.
Smile
ImustStudy

Miscellaneous graduate coursework from University of The Rockies and California InterContinental University (that did me absolutely NO GOOD whatsoever)
ImustStudy[B Wrote:[B]Just in case anyone is interested, I have now started a business called "Breathing Plus" TM. [/B][/B] It is a completely self-paced program that for only 12 payments of $69.95 will help you learn how to breathe on your own without help from anyone.

I will assume that you had the best of intentions when posting this message and that it was all in fun, however, I'm concerned that this fun may be at the expense of others on the board who have already invested in a service to which you appear to be making an unflattering comparison. Please check your PMs. Thanks.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
One of the fundamental principles undergirding the success of this board is that there isn't ONE correct path to earning a degree.

We each have our own methods, our own preferences, our own needs and, out of that, we make our own choices...and subsequently chart our OWN path along the way to our degree.

Anyone who thinks they know THE right path is sadly mistaken. This place MUST remain a safe place for us to agree AND to disagree.

That being said, we also have to keep our sense of humor. Imustudy has a legitimate argument as to why CP might not be such a good idea, just as others have legitimate arguments as to why CP is an excellent idea.

I don't think that expressing an opinion in a humorous way is in itself a bad thing. If Imustudy's post came across as offensive, I am SURE that it was not meant to pull anyone down or to be derogatory.

Let's not get caught up in offending each other OR being easily offended. If you make a joke and it gets a bad reaction, ease up a bit next time. If you have a bad reaction to a joke, loosen up a bit next time.

Life's too short...and we've got degrees to earn!

Wink
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:One of the fundamental principles undergirding the success of this board is that there isn't ONE correct path to earning a degree.

That being said, we also have to keep our sense of humor. Imustudy has a legitimate argument as to why CP might not be such a good idea, just as others have legitimate arguments as to why CP is an excellent idea.

I don't think that expressing an opinion in a humorous way is in itself a bad thing. If Imustudy's post came across as offensive, I am SURE that it was not meant to pull anyone down or to be derogatory.
Life's too short...and we've got degrees to earn!

Wink
Snazzlefrag

Thanks Snazz and all for sharing your views.

Just to clarify for everyone, (as I said in earlier post) I actually think that the College P is a great idea. I would encourage anyone who can afford it to take that route as you sure won't get much info from many (not all) college counselors.

Some counselors believe that academic success must be kept as a closely guarded secret.

As for the jokes, no harm intended, just a somewhat jaded sense of humor. That's all.

Keep on postin''':eek:
ImustStudy

Where do I sign up for Breathing Plus? I have a credit card ready to go! I may have to enroll in Walking Plus too though, since it is sometimes difficult to concentrate on two things at once. Big Grin
Machelle

HG&D - 62
Ed. Psych - 57
Humanities - 59
A&I Literature - 59
Here's To Your Health - 59
Fund. of Counseling - 49
Criminal Justice - 55
Intro to Law Enforcement - 51
ImustStudy Wrote:Thanks Snazz and all for sharing your views.

Just to clarify for everyone, (as I said in earlier post) I actually think that the College P is a great idea..........As for the jokes, no harm intended, just a somewhat jaded sense of humor. That's all.

Keep on postin''':eek:

Fact 1: I'm a CollegePlus student.

Fact 2: I also thought your post was HILARIOUS. hilarious

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,181 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,534 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,926 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 389 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 728 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 244 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 209 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor