Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colleges improve transfer policies?
It would be nice, if true... It would be nicer if they had mentioned the schools that have been doing it all along.

Transfer students start getting more of the credits they’ve already earned
Pushed by enrollment slump and political pressure colleges lower barriers to transfer

http://hechingerreport.org/transfer-stud...dy-earned/
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(04-09-2018, 09:50 PM)davewill Wrote: It would be nice, if true... It would be nicer if they had mentioned the schools that have been doing it all along.

They did name the University of La Verne but not the sister school of Shirley.
40% loss? Angry   I know its way higher.  I call BS on only 40%.  All of my (except Big 3) college credits rejection rates were higher than that and that includes my ton of B&M credits not just CLEP etc..  Even the Big 3 are not perfect, but they the Best 3. Big Grin   TESU refused a lot of my government FEMA "ACE credits" NOT just FEMA IS stuff.  After my eval TESU refused the most of my credits of the Big 3.   FTCC (a great non-traditional military college) in NC refused "all" of my colleges with quarter hours.   The University of Oregon is a joke.  FCC (the FEMA IS College) in MD was a joke to transfer to. I could go on as I have many more examples, but the point is 40% is not real.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I think the major issue here is that many students also change majors when they transfer. So they've spent a lot of time getting credits in a major, then change, many times more than once or even twice, and then build up all of these excess credits.

If you stick with a single major, and plan out your credits, it's not hard. I've helped kids here in my area plan out going to a CC and then transferring to one of the 3 local 4-yr state schools, every single one was able to grasp the process once it was explained, and even explain it to their parents afterwards. Every 4-yr school I've looked at, both public and private, has articulation agreements with the CC's and other 4-yr schools in the area. The Public system (CC's, CSU's and UC's) all have articulation agreements, IGETC/CSU transfer agreements on every website, and the ASSIST website that will translate which classes you can take at which schools for every school and major there is. I have planned out a CS degree at both UCSD and CSUSM, transferring from Palomar CC, and was able to get more than 65% of the degree completed at CC or with AP courses, and only needing about 1 1/2 years total at the 4-yr schools.

But for those changing majors, it's a completely different story. Yes, you're going to lose a lot of credits, because all of those business courses you took aren't going to apply to your new computer science major. Almost every single one of those credits are gone.

BTW - this would be an issue even if you didn't transfer to a new school. I have a friend who switched majors 4x at a single 4-yr school, she had 150+ credits and finally dropped out just 3 classes short of finishing her 4th major.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Muldoon
I have always just been the same two majors (business and emergency management) my whole life and it still happens.  The other by design to hurt transfer students is the weird GEN ED requirement outside of the norm.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(04-10-2018, 12:24 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I have always just been the same two majors (business and emergency management) my whole life and it still happens.  The other by design to hurt transfer students is the weird GEN ED requirement outside of the norm.

But that's my point - your 2 majors are so far off from each other, there could not possibly be any way to use any major courses from one in the other - and with both, the major courses probably won't count as Gen Ed either.  So those types of classes are almost a throw-away at that point.

I've gone to 2 CC's, and 3 4-yr schools, and haven't had any trouble transferring at all - mostly because before I changed majors from the first school, I hadn't taken ANY classes in my major.  All of my Gen Ed's have transferred to every school I've gone to, without any problems.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-10-2018, 12:29 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 12:24 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I have always just been the same two majors (business and emergency management) my whole life and it still happens.  The other by design to hurt transfer students is the weird GEN ED requirement outside of the norm.

But that's my point - your 2 majors are so far off from each other, there could not possibly be any way to use any major courses from one in the other - and with both, the major courses probably won't count as Gen Ed either.  So those types of classes are almost a throw-away at that point.

I've gone to 2 CC's, and 3 4-yr schools, and haven't had any trouble transferring at all - mostly because before I changed majors from the first school, I hadn't taken ANY classes in my major.  All of my Gen Ed's have transferred to every school I've gone to, without any problems.

Business was the 1980's
EM was the 2015+

All of the above transfers I did were apples to apples (bus to bus or EM to EM).

Majors are almost never GEN ED.  GEN ED is a different thing.  I have ZERO expectation my two majors would fit GEN ED.  One college said my Statistics was too old for GEN ED.  Even English can be a crap shoot also.  

The college education transfer system is against the student.  Buyer Beware! Big Grin

My DD started off in CC. When we transferred her credits, her science credits just transferred as general education. So, she didn't lose the credits per se, but a biology lab class from her CC is now being used to fill the general credit bucket. Kind of like an elective..

I'm not totally upset because she wants to go into medicine, so repeating biology can only eventually improve her MCAT's and she will get credit for another bio class, so it's not a total loss. But it's a lot of extra work for her. I guess I should just be thankful she didn't lose the credits completely.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 183 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 350 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 206 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 719 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 516 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newsweek: America's Top Online Colleges 2024 Ares 6 561 02-14-2024, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 0 231 01-25-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 698 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  MyWay Transfer Update: Non-degree awarding course provider bjcheung77 10 1,748 11-15-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  We Have Moved on From the Basic “Big 3” Colleges and Now Have CBE Big 3 and Others LevelUP 57 7,291 11-14-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP