Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colleges moving online because of virus
I'm sure you have heard about the corona virus. Well the brick and mortar college I attend is moving to online for now because of the virus. There many colleges and even some high schools doing the same.
Yeah, Boston University moved to online courses as well. I saw on the news that UPenn, Penn State, and Villanova in PA did the same.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
Most universities in Michigan, including Michigan and Michigan State are going completely online next week. University of Toledo in Ohio is doing the same. Also, Ohio State.
European flights all canceled, NBA season canceled. It's getting pretty bad.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
My wife is a college professor and her campus just closed and moved all lectures online. The school and most of the teachers weren't really prepared for this, so I'm sure it has been painful for the administration as well as for the faculty. They're basically having everyone use videoconference software, so all the instructors (and maybe students too) need to pick up webcams if they don't have them already.

Her school does offer a few online courses, but it is mostly a pilot program right now and those courses are pre-built (by the faculty) but using an approach closer to what we're used to seeing at places like Study.com or Straighterline (animated slides and lecture material coupled with textbooks, quizzes, and papers).

I imagine this same scenario is playing out across all these colleges struggling to move all their courses online. It should be interesting to see how things play out. It would be nice to see more schools move to adopt full-time online courses and degree programs as a fallout of this event. I'm also hopeful that something similar will happen with businesses, where they discover that remote workers are actually a positive thing.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
The positive in this situation is that this might be beneficial to online degree programs as a whole.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
My son is an Engineering student at the University of Northern Florida. They have been told to head home for Spring Break and don't come back until further notice. Classes will resume after the break in an all-online format. My other son attends a private, Liberal Arts college that is relatively small and had been largely resistant to online offerings, and they have long dragged their feet over the prospect of investing in an online delivery platform. My wife is also a staff member at said college. They are in a real dilemma over what to do. They are going to try to use the books and Skype, Slack, etc. Professors are being mandated to come up with their own solutions. All while the parents of students are ringing the phones off the hook wanting their kids sent home, and wanting to know what the school will do to deliver content.

In the meantime, my WGU Grad program chugs along like nothing ever happened. My mentor and I had a great Coronavirus discussion during our weekly call. This pandemic is unfortunate, but I hope we become better and stronger for it. (Bring the medical supply chain back to the U.S., increased acceptance and investment in online education, etc.)
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

Harvard announced it is going online once the spring break ends on 22nd March. Students have been asked not to return until further notice. Duke has announced the same.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
I wonder how all this affects tests centers, I posted a thread with this very question, since I haven't seen it discussed it yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lacedonia4's post:
  • Muldoon
UH is not having classes next week...will go completely online starting March 23rd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,422 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 504 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 418 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  University / Colleges with Grammarly? msa145 1 722 12-18-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 449 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Vaxinia - Cancer Killing Virus! bjcheung77 3 531 05-23-2022, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Looming Food Shortages Is the Next ‘Slow-Moving Disaster’ to Hit World LevelUP 8 1,578 03-28-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Almost $250 Billion Growth in Online Education bjcheung77 0 644 02-17-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Vested - Free online courses (orientations) bjcheung77 0 900 11-16-2020, 06:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Harvard Medical School going online for fall DIGI-212 8 2,488 08-26-2020, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Nilv