Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
36% of young adults say their college debt wasn't worth it
(09-14-2019, 07:28 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Is a degree worth getting?  Yes.  Is debt worth accumulating?  That's a personal position- in our home we do not believe in debt TODAY, however, that wasn't always the case, and I think this question mixes up the value of a degree with the presumption of college debt.  As if they are a package deal.

I'd be willing to bet 100% of the students who earned a degree with 0% debt would say it was worth it - and that's a much harder path than simply signing your name on a promissory note.

I totally agree.  Saying "it was worth it" doesn't necessarily mean "if I had to do this over again, I'd do it exactly the same way."  If they had found a way to get a degree without college debt, would that have been preferable?  Probably to many.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-13-2019, 10:42 PM)natshar Wrote: ... I was going to finish my degree online through TESU but I found amazing and unique opportunity to finish my degree in person in just a year. I will graduate in May with around 8k in debt (possibly less if I get more scholarships). But in my opinion, for me it is already worth it. There are so many things I access to that I wouldn't have access to if I did my degree at TESU.

You've gone into your debt choice with your eyes wide open, and I'm sure it will work out fine. The people who have problems are the ones who go into it blind and simply borrow money because they can. They think seem to think it will either just magically get paid back or that they won't have to.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(09-15-2019, 10:59 AM)davewill Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 10:42 PM)natshar Wrote: ... I was going to finish my degree online through TESU but I found amazing and unique opportunity to finish my degree in person in just a year. I will graduate in May with around 8k in debt (possibly less if I get more scholarships). But in my opinion, for me it is already worth it. There are so many things I access to that I wouldn't have access to if I did my degree at TESU.

You've gone into your debt choice with your eyes wide open, and I'm sure it will work out fine. The people who have problems are the ones who go into it blind and simply borrow money because they can. They think seem to think it will either just magically get paid back or that they won't have to.

That's an insult to blind people.  They are just STUPID.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I'll play devil's advocate on this one.

If 36% say that their college debt was not worth it, then maybe 64% say that it was worth it? That's not a terrible percentage.

Also, the survey asked people who were 18 to 34. That might not be the best age range to ask. People within that range presumably have the highest amount of debt because they are recent graduates, haven't paid much off and have yet to realize the benefits of increases in pay scale, etc.

Presumably, the numbers don't include those people who graduated from college without debt. Addition of those students would likely make the numbers more favorable in terms of the value of college.

The article also mentions that most of those surveyed said that they were "better off" because of their education. So there seems to be a sizable chunk of people who are better off, but say the debt wasn't worth it. That seems to be an ambivalent position that could change with some years and pay increases.
[-] The following 3 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • Ideas, sanantone, TwinMom
(09-15-2019, 01:33 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I'll play devil's advocate on this one.

If 36% say that their college debt was not worth it, then maybe 64% say that it was worth it?  That's not a terrible percentage.

Also, the survey asked people who were 18 to 34.  That might not be the best age range to ask.  People within that range presumably have the highest amount of debt because they are recent graduates, haven't paid much off and have yet to realize the benefits of increases in pay scale, etc.

Presumably, the numbers don't include those people who graduated from college without debt.  Addition of those students would likely make the numbers more favorable in terms of the value of college.

The article also mentions that most of those surveyed said that they were "better off" because of their education.  So there seems to be a sizable chunk of people who are better off, but say the debt wasn't worth it.  That seems to be an ambivalent position that could change with some years and pay increases.

I don't know why anyone under 25 would be surveyed.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(09-15-2019, 10:59 AM)davewill Wrote:

Obviously. Even at community college, I saw all kinds of students being reckless with money because "student loans will pay for it." I knew a student who spent $50 more for a new textbook vs a used one (in excellent condition) because "I've got loans so why not?" and never opened the book. Students buying televisions, fancy apartments vs average ones, etc. Some people dont' understand the concept that loans must be paid back after graduation. Also, having a college degree does automatically give you a job.

I actually feel like for me personally, getting the debt is worth in a way because already I have access to things I wouldn't if I did online. Part of this includes access to internships, connections, etc. For me personally, since I don't know what I'm doing with my life, if I got my degree online I wouldn't know how to move forward. In just a week short weeks, I've already gained a sense of direction and an idea of what to do after graduation. I do not think I would have this direction online.

It helps that my dad owns his own business and I grew up with very financially responsible parents who taught me about living below my means and working hard to achieve my goals. I realize not everyone had this upbringing, but I feel confident after graduation I will be able to pay off my small amount of loans I will have.
(09-15-2019, 02:48 PM)sanantone Wrote:

If 36% say that their college debt was not worth it, then maybe 64% say that it was worth it?  That's not a terrible percentage.

Also, the survey asked people who were 18 to 34.  That might not be the best age range to ask.  People within that range presumably have the highest amount of debt because they are recent graduates, haven't paid much off and have yet to realize the benefits of increases in pay scale, etc.

Presumably, the numbers don't include those people who graduated from college without debt.  Addition of those students would likely make the numbers more favorable in terms of the value of college.

The article also mentions that most of those surveyed said that they were "better off" because of their education.  So there seems to be a sizable chunk of people who are better off, but say the debt wasn't worth it.  That seems to be an ambivalent position that could change with some years and pay increases.

Now THAT'S funny Wink You're right. Having a 25-year-old son (who is really very savvy about money) doesn't have the life experience to feel burdened by debt and reflect on whether or not it was worth it.

I 100% disagree. In my generation, a BS was the ticket.  Today it is a High School Diploma. Sad
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(09-15-2019, 09:25 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 02:48 PM)sanantone Wrote:

Now THAT'S funny Wink  You're right.  Having a 25-year-old son (who is really very savvy about money) doesn't have the life experience to feel burdened by debt and reflect on whether or not it was worth it.

After graduating, it can take a couple of years to find a good job. I wouldn't think there would be very many college graduates under the age of 22 anyway.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,722 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 196 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
Shocked Online Course Provider 2U (edX) Faces Doubts It Can Continue ($900 Million in debt) Ares 3 373 02-16-2024, 02:51 AM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 307 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 620 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 197 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP